uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 8, vol 7 - Tennessee

uneblinstu

- I thought finding away to not come home empty handed this weekend was a big deal for them. They found a way to do that. I like the way they're playing. Not the style, per se, but the attitude. I think that will serve them well if they can maintain that.

- Shields foul trouble again. That's going to have to get ironed out. 

- White didn't do much this weekend until the second half today. Hopefully it's just a blip. 

- Rebounded really well today. With Tennessee also lacking size, Hammond really had an opportunity to have a good game and he took advantage. Still think he can be pretty good on the offensive end this year. Think it's going to be a long year for him on that end.

- Watson, McVeigh and Tai really played well in both games, that's a really good thing, especially if they can carry that over into other games. 

- I liked this tweet:

- Pretty balanced effort today. That's good to see.

- Still think this team should be a better free throw shooting team. Almost let Tennessee back into the game.

- Decent assist numbers today.

- A little concerned about how much they'll have left in the tank for Miami on Tuesday.

- All-in-all, good win today. That will play well later in the season, I believe.

- A lot of players had good games today, great to see.  We are not a one-trick pony.

- We have to make our free throws down the stretch.  That is a key area of focus as we move along this season.

- Tai, love to see you break out.  Keep it up.

- Jake is playing better.  Hopefully his exponential growth will continue.

- AWIII struggled a bit the first game and half of this tourney.  Glad he got his stroke back.  We will need him vs Miami.

- Seems a lot of growing took place this weekend. 

- I thought finding away to not come home empty handed this weekend was a big deal for them. They found a way to do that. I like the way they're playing. Not the style, per se, but the attitude. I think that will serve them well if they can maintain that.

- White didn't do much this weekend until the second half today. Hopefully it's just a blip.

- Rebounded really well today. With Tennessee also lacking size, Hammond really had an opportunity to have a good game and he took advantage. Still think he can be pretty good on the offensive end this year. Think it's going to be a long year for him on that end.

- Watson, McVeigh and Tai really played well in both games, that's a really good thing, especially if they can carry that over into other games.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/670662324370427905

- I liked this tweet:

https://twitter.com/HuskerHoops/status/670667726403313665

- Still think this team should be a better free throw shooting team. Almost let Tennessee back into the game.

- A little concerned about how much they'll have left in the tank for Miami on Tuesday.

- All-in-all, good win today. That will play well later in the season, I believe.

Obviously I couldn't watch this one but I would take exception to your "not the style per se" comment. I don't know what style you prefer but I would say this team is 100 x's better to watch than last year's team and from strictly a style perspective for me, more enjoyable than two years ago. I know we made the dance but stylistically, too much standing around and 1 on 1 for my taste. This team runs more and shares more in the half court, back cuts and assists, things if beauty for me.

- I liked this tweet:

Obviously I couldn't watch this one but I would take exception to your "not the style per se" comment. I don't know what style you prefer but I would say this team is 100 x's better to watch than last year's team and from strictly a style perspective for me, more enjoyable than two years ago. I know we made the dance but stylistically, too much standing around and 1 on 1 for my taste. This team runs more and shares more in the half court, back cuts and assists, things if beauty for me.

Agree completely Dean.  This team will struggle at times - but "style" we are playing so far is much more appealing than the way we played last year.  Really like to see an offense with some ball movement and at least some elements of motion.

- I liked this tweet:

Dean, I took uneblinstu's comment differently then you.  I believe his intent is to praise the team attitude.  The fight, the basketball IQ, the team approach and so forth.  That said, I do like our style of play as well :)

My comment wasn't about style of play. Yes, that is prettier than we've seen in, well, a long, long time. My comment was more to the attitude they seem to be developing. I like that a lot. This team plays hard. Even against Villanova. That can take this game a long way, especially when you combine it with an increased ability to score the ball. They need to learn to do it on the road, not sure if that will happen this year or not.

This is basically what we used to complain about with Terran taking bad shots. Yes, he was our best player; and yes, we were winning games. But he was still taking bad shots and it was a lot of one on one stuff. I agree with you, Dean, this style that we're seeing from the huskers this year is so much more entertaining. The ball movement is so much better and sharing is so much better. The only problem I see is that sometimes we still don't take open shots and pass up opportunities instead. There are still a couple of guys who are not confident enough to launch an open three when they catch the ball in rhythm and are open enough to shoot.

The only problem I see is that sometimes we still don't take open shots and pass up opportunities instead. There are still a couple of guys who are not confident enough to launch an open three when they catch the ball in rhythm and are open enough to shoot.

With the shot clock now at 30 seconds it is even more important to not pass up open looks.

This is basically what we used to complain about with Terran taking bad shots. Yes, he was our best player; and yes, we were winning games. But he was still taking bad shots and it was a lot of one on one stuff. I agree with you, Dean, this style that we're seeing from the huskers this year is so much more entertaining. The ball movement is so much better and sharing is so much better. The only problem I see is that sometimes we still don't take open shots and pass up opportunities instead. There are still a couple of guys who are not confident enough to launch an open three when they catch the ball in rhythm and are open enough to shoot.

saw Miles really pressing that point during the cincy game, ball was swung to Fuller in the corner, he caught hesitated, than tried to drive and had a turnover, miles subbed him out and you can tell he was telling him to take that shot, really stressing to him to take that shot in the corner. 

Tennessee held an early 27-26 lead, but the Huskers, who led by as many as 22, closed the first half on a 14-6 run and opened the second half on an 11-2 run.

But, other than that stretch, they outplayed us...   ;)

Seriously, though, it's nice to see the other team go on a long scoring drought for once.

Tennessee held an early 27-26 lead, but the Huskers, who led by as many as 22, closed the first half on a 14-6 run and opened the second half on an 11-2 run.

But, other than that stretch, they outplayed us...   ;)

Seriously, though, it's nice to see the other team go on a long scoring drought for once.

I like it how Tennessee acts like they have the ONLY young team. lol