uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 4 - SE Louisiana

uneblinstu

Granted, some negative things can be said about Glynn's game. But last night's performance isn't one of them.

The little defender against Glynn last night is Benny Parker-esque. That defender applies incredible on-ball pressure. Yet, despite the pressure, Glynn produced last night 14 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 4 rebounds (all defensive), 2 of 2 from three, 5 of 11 from the field, 2 of 3 free throws and 2 fouls, all in 22 minutes.

Like all the scholarship freshmen, Glynn is improving rapidly, and every game is a learning and growing experience. These are exciting times!

Granted, some negative things can be said about Glenn's game. But last night's performance isn't one of them.

The little defender against Glenn last night is Benny Parker-esque. That defender applies incredible on-ball pressure. Yet, despite the pressure, Glenn produced last night 14 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover, 4 rebounds (all defensive), 2 of 2 from three, 5 of 11 from the field, 2 of 3 free throws and 2 fouls, all in 22 minutes.

Like all the scholarship freshman, Glenn is improving rapidly, and every game is a learning and growing experience. These are exciting times!

It's Glynn.

I was perusing the record book after that crazy first half last night. Largest margin of victory was an 82-8 win against Doane in 1907 so we were halfway there at the half. 

OT but our record for rebounds in a game is 77 against K State in 1957, and the record for opponents' rebounds in a game is 77 a week later in 1957. That's pretty crazy. 

I'm also glad we have Trueblood.  The kid needs to learn defense, but offensively, he's pretty savvy.  Good ball handler too.

I like his aggressiveness and believe at some point during his career he plays some meaningful minutes but last night he looked like a short Shang Ping on offense

If Trueblood ever plays meaningful minutes Miles isn't doing his job. Cmon now

OK, trivia question (and DON'T peak; answer if you know):  At 55.5% from beyond the arc, who is now the team's most accurate 3-point shooter?

Benny Parker?

ding ding ding ... We have a WINNER!!!

Yes, Benny Frickin' Parker.

McVeigh and White are both at .500 and Shields is at .333.

Love the kid, but I could still beat Benny in a game of HORSE 

I'm also glad we have Trueblood.  The kid needs to learn defense, but offensively, he's pretty savvy.  Good ball handler too.

I like his aggressiveness and believe at some point during his career he plays some meaningful minutes but last night he looked like a short Shang Ping on offense

I disagree. If he's doing his job he's finding guys to walk on to this program that would be capable of being scholarship players at a lower level and at some point capable of playing if there is a situation that dictates it. 

I disagree. If he's doing his job he's finding guys to walk on to this program that would be capable of being scholarship players at a lower level and at some point capable of playing if there is a situation that dictates it. 

this..when you coach a team like Nebraska you need to have use every legal meaningful advantage you can, that includes scouring the state, and the country to find kids you can get to walk on, play tough scout team players, and if need be in emergency step up and help the team with minutes on the court. Yes he must keep recruiting and getting top 150 players, and soon enough top 40 players, but we have to find kids that can walk on, and provide depth just in case the worst case scenario plays out. 

All walk-ons are not created equal, for starters. You really can't compare Kye Kurkowski, for example, with Tanner Borchardt. Borchardt has a much better frame, is much more athletic, as evidenced by his three pretty good FBS football offers, and has a skill set that makes him potentially valuable as he develops.

As a general rule, and this pertains to football as well, the prominence of walk-ons in the line-up can reveal recruiting deficiencies. However, some walk-ons are simply good enough that their skill set is comparable to scholarship players. I truly believe that Tanner Borchardt could have gotten some Division I hoops offers if he had really dedicated himself to that sport.

Trueblood and Borchardt are both very promising walk-ons, and certainly a cut above guys like Kurkowski, Menke and Peltz in my opinion. How much they play over the next few years remains to be seen, but I'm glad we have them.

I have a feeling Nick Fuller will be a graduate transfer after next year to a smaller D1 school for his final year.  He will get his degree and then give himself one final year to have fun playing for possibly the final time in meaningful games.

Please, basketball gods, let it be so. I hate to come down on a kid who has a good attitude and works hard, but Nick just doesn't have a role on this team, and is not good enough to be a B1G basketball player. I struggle to find one element of basketball that he can really hang his hat on, and he has not materialized as the great shooter/scorer he was touted to be after setting league records in high school. It's time for Nick and Nebraska to part ways after this season so that both parties can benefit.

If Nebraska wants a stretch four on the court, that player is Jack McVeigh.

As someone else stated, Watson needs to get a little more arc on his shot.

The guy behind me told his 10 year old the same thing. His shooting stats so far aren't impressive.

Was this an issue for Glynn before he came to NU? I don't recall it from his highlight tapes? What about from what we saw from him in Spain?

The guy behind me told his 10 year old the same thing. His shooting stats so far aren't impressive.

Was this an issue for Glynn before he came to NU? I don't recall it from his highlight tapes? What about from what we saw from him in Spain?

And he is not shy about shooting either.  If Andrew White is taking the most shots each game, we have a problem.  He is clearly out best shooter but have games where Watson is attempting more shots.  That should not happen.

I have a feeling Nick Fuller will be a graduate transfer after next year to a smaller D1 school for his final year.  He will get his degree and then give himself one final year to have fun playing for possibly the final time in meaningful games.

Please, basketball gods, let it be so. I hate to come down on a kid who has a good attitude and works hard, but Nick just doesn't have a role on this team, and is not good enough to be a B1G basketball player. I struggle to find one element of basketball that he can really hang his hat on, and he has not materialized as the great shooter/scorer he was touted to be after setting league records in high school. It's time for Nick and Nebraska to part ways after this season so that both parties can benefit.

If Nebraska wants a stretch four on the court, that player is Jack McVeigh.

Miles even said it himself in today's press conference! "Where does Fuller fit in?" (completely out of context quote of course ;))

And he is not shy about shooting either.  If Andrew White is taking the most shots each game, we have a problem.  He is clearly out best shooter but have games where Watson is attempting more shots.  That should not happen.

Yes and no. Watson forces the issue a little more and has more ability to create his own shot. AW3, it requires a little more effort, they're running plays to get him shots. I don't have a huge problem with the number of shots Watson takes if they're in the design of the offense. If he's going off on his own (and I'm not smart enough to know if that's what he's doing or not), that's where the issue would come in for me. He's a capable enough scorer/shooter that I'm not cringing when he has the ball or goes up for a shot.

I'm still really impressed with Borchardt.  

I thought his one-on-one post defense and screening were better than any of our bigs.  It's only a matter of time before he gets meaningful minutes, imo.  He just needs to lose about 15lbs.  He's not a leaper, but he's definitely a D1 athlete (remember he turned down full rides in football) with a high bball IQ.  

I am very encouraged by the passing and shooting ability of this team.  I don't think other teams are going to be able to pack it in defensively this year at all.  Hopefully our guards can figure out how to handle pressure.  I'm still worried that a press break isn't being taught effectively.  

*Benny is shooting it well.  If he's a threat out there, that's an enormous difference for his role.  I thought he and Watson were about even tonight as far as helping the team, possibly Benny with the slight edge (defense).  It's interesting watching Benny at the 2.  I would've never pictured him there, but it's starting to make a little bit of sense, particularly if he can spot up.  

**Hammond continues to get better.  He's starting to learn how to fight, which is all you can ask of him.  

***Morrow's defense was night and day tonight.  He was much more controlled, kept his man in front, and did a wonderful job with help defense.  We are so much better with him affecting the game defensively and on the offensive glass.  It might not show up in the stats, but he is a real pest on both ends.  He keeps a lot of possessions alive and alters a lot of shots/drives.  

****McVeigh is the real deal.   Great passer and very reliable as a scorer.  

*****Jacobson is looking more in game shape.  He's a serviceable big, no question, and that's probably all he'll be this year, but I think he ends up being an excellent player.  

What a freshman class.  Unreal.  

Borchardt might be  a D-1 athlete but he's not a D-1 basketball player. Props to him for turning down some serious football offers to play basketball for his state school. He is a big thick kid but look at how his uniform hangs. He has an unusually long body and short arms and legs so he plays shorter than he actually is. Actual D-1 post players would eat him up I believe. Will see as the season goes forward.

And if Trueblood every get meaningful minutes for Nebraska, I'm afraid that would not bode well for our prospects. They are what they are, solid walkons that hopefully are working their tails off in practice to make those in the rotation better. Good for them.

I'm still really impressed with Borchardt.

I thought his one-on-one post defense and screening were better than any of our bigs. It's only a matter of time before he gets meaningful minutes, imo. He just needs to lose about 15lbs. He's not a leaper, but he's definitely a D1 athlete (remember he turned down full rides in football) with a high bball IQ.

I'm also glad we have Trueblood. The kid needs to learn defense, but offensively, he's pretty savvy. Good ball handler too.

I am very encouraged by the passing and shooting ability of this team. I don't think other teams are going to be able to pack it in defensively this year at all. Hopefully our guards can figure out how to handle pressure. I'm still worried that a press break isn't being taught effectively.

*Benny is shooting it well. If he's a threat out there, that's an enormous difference for his role. I thought he and Watson were about even tonight as far as helping the team, possibly Benny with the slight edge (defense). It's interesting watching Benny at the 2. I would've never pictured him there, but it's starting to make a little bit of sense, particularly if he can spot up.

**Hammond continues to get better. He's starting to learn how to fight, which is all you can ask of him.

***Morrow's defense was night and day tonight. He was much more controlled, kept his man in front, and did a wonderful job with help defense. We are so much better with him affecting the game defensively and on the offensive glass. It might not show up in the stats, but he is a real pest on both ends. He keeps a lot of possessions alive and alters a lot of shots/drives.

****McVeigh is the real deal. Great passer and very reliable as a scorer.

*****Jacobson is looking more in game shape. He's a serviceable big, no question, and that's probably all he'll be this year, but I think he ends up being an excellent player.

What a freshman class. Unreal.

Borchardt might be a D-1 athlete but he's not a D-1 basketball player. Props to him for turning down some serious football offers to play basketball for his state school. He is a big thick kid but look at how his uniform hangs. He has an unusually long body and short arms and legs so he plays shorter than he actually is. Actual D-1 post players would eat him up I believe. Will see as the season goes forward.

And if Trueblood every get meaningful minutes for Nebraska, I'm afraid that would not bode well for our prospects. They are what they are, solid walkons that hopefully are working their tails off in practice to make those in the rotation better. Good for them.

Ummm I checked the box scores and sure enough Borchardt IS a D1 basketball player. He played in a game for a D1 basketball school playing another D1 school and recorded stats.

And if Trueblood every get meaningful minutes for Nebraska, I'm afraid that would not bode well for our prospects.

This year I'd agree. I expect him to get stronger and better like everyone else that comes through this program. The guy can play 2 minutes in undecided games in 2018 and he's played meaningful minutes.

Borchardt might be  a D-1 athlete but he's not a D-1 basketball player. Props to him for turning down some serious football offers to play basketball for his state school. He is a big thick kid but look at how his uniform hangs. He has an unusually long body and short arms and legs so he plays shorter than he actually is. Actual D-1 post players would eat him up I believe. Will see as the season goes forward.

Borchardt or no Borchardt, we might be facing the same kind of thing as last year when we made the opposing team's big men look like All-Americans. 

The Currington kid, non-starter for Southeast LA, came in and doubled his season average against the likes of Jacobson and Hammond, going 5-7 from the field. 

Wish I could find the stats for Northern State because we made one of their reserve big men look pretty good too.  Until Borchardt came into the game, anyway.  Then he kind of got quiet.