uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 2 - Villanova

uneblinstu

What I saw last night was a chilling reminder just how under-talented we have been until now.  You look at a guy like Andrew White...he barely got any minutes at Kansas but is a top-50 level recruit.  Put him on that court last night, and he didn't look fazed by the competition or moment.  He is scoring 18 a night for our team and making it look easy without even being a volume shooter.  It is simply a matter of having talent.

I watched Watson and Morrow and while I see mistakes of youth, I see kids that are clearly of similar talent levels to what Nova had.  Morrow played in the same AAU program as Jalen Brunson and Jahlil Okafor.  Steel sharpens steel, and all that.  Morrow is down low amongst high-talent kids bigger than him and wasn't rattled at all...out-fighting them for rebounds and blocking shots.  Watson had an absolutely filthy move to free himself up for a shot last night (that was negated by an offense foul on Morrow).

I think McVeigh's game translates pretty well to that high level of competition.  He needs to be our scoring threat off the bench.

Tai Webster is not, and never has been, a Big Ten caliber player.  And certainly not worthy of being a starter.  He's a "shooting guard" that cannot shoot, but frankly that's not even my biggest concern about him...he's just not a "game time" player.  He gets fazed by the moment, and lacks confidence.  I couldn't see our truly talented players losing confidence and falling apart.

Parker was a novelty two years ago where we had this tiny guy who stole minutes with his defense.  He's a fun story but he is obviously not a Big Ten caliber player either, and like Tai never will be.  He is what he is.  He's probably playing beyond his ceiling already.

It is unfair, in my opinion, to ask Webster and Parker to start against the teeth of the Big Ten, and games like last night, for 3 years running.  Webster and Parker cannot help who they are.  Its on the staff to upgrade these positions.  I don't dislike either guy, and I actually kinda love Benny, but we need to be better at those spots.  Good defense is a lot about effort and mindset.  There's no reason you couldn't make an Evelyn or somebody else your defensive perimeter guy instead.  At least then you have upside.

Like the team, like where we are headed.  Last night was an important progress check.

How long is this coaching staff going to roll the dice hoping that Tai and Benny improve???  Tai looked completely lost and Benny is just a total liability out there.  After that performance, they both need to have there roles reduced and minutes until the time they prove they can help this team win.  It's time to insert these freshman into a larger role as well as in the starting lineup with White and Shields.  I don't care that Benny is a senior or not.  You play your best players and right now and 2 (if not 3) of our best players are freshman.

ATM our Miles 8 man rotation is

Shields

White

Parker

Webster

Hammond

Watson

Morrow

Fuller- ->McVeigh

Fuller came during the first half and after 3 minutes got pulled for McVeigh. That end of the rotation guy and/or rotation size is probably going to change game by game. It's nice to have options.

Jacobson doesn't look like he has his legs just yet. No idea if Bakari is ready to contribute yet or if he will much this year though he's potentially one of the best ball handlers on the team.

Villanova--in that gym--is the best team we'll play this year, in my opinion.  That's their, what, 28th straight home win?  That's an extremely well-coached and talented team who will destroy the Big East and probably end up with a 1 seed again.  

It's really hard to gauge this game, but I actually came away pretty encouraged by our talent.  

We lost this game because of dumb turnovers.  We'll get better on that front.  I think Villanova was an absolute model team for what sort of intensity it takes to be really good on every possession.  They kept their intensity steady while ours fizzled out.

Outside of White, the ones who really, really, fought were the freshmen.  I think the starting rotation needs to be shaken up.  

This.

Sooner rather than later NU needs to get Morrow, McVeigh, and Watson opportunities that Jake, Tai & Benny have been given thus far. Those 3 FROSH more than handled themselves in a very tough 1st road game experience. I'd have no qualms if all three FROSH were starters, even if Morrow gives up a couple inches in height every night; we all know that Morrow has played against high-level H.S. competition in Chicago, and Ed will *compete* night-in and night-out.  Jack can shoot while Tai can not (it seems). And, Glynn is a play-maker offensively and can be groomed to be a better defender from Benny the Energizer himself. It will all work out in due time. Not terribly worried about this team. Last night was a wake-up call that NU will have to step up their game, and I think they have more than enough horses to *compete* in the B1G. Winning a ton of games might not happen, but those 3 FROSH will bring it every game along with Shavon, Andrew, and whoever else steps up from the upperclassmen.

1.  Villanova was probably one of the toughest match ups for Nebraska.  Normally, they are really a guard heavy team with one, often undersized, big guy down low.  I have seen them run and shoot so many top teams off the floor over the past 10-15 years.  If there is any team Nebraska should emulate this year, its Villanova from the past 10-15 years but not this Villanova team.  Unlike previous years, Villanova has more than 1-2 big men on its roster, and they are not undersized.  When Nebraska started matching Villanova's typical style of play, the Huskers were in the game.  However . . .

2.  Villanova exposed a weakness on this team.  Villanova's pressing was probably the main reason why Benny and Tai had so many minutes.  I feel Watson is our best PG; however, Watson needs to calm down and keep his composure.  No doubt Watson made some great plays, but the press seemed to rattle him a little (and in all honesty Watson seemed a bit too amped up all game without the pressing).  Until Watson is ready, we will see Benny and Tai out there when other teams are pressing.  While it is good to protect the ball, Tai and Benny are nowhere near Watson in the ability to initiate the offense.  The offense will stall without Watson on the floor to initiate things.  Down the road, if we could see a primary rotation with the 1/2 being Tai, Benny, and Watson with Shavon and Andrew sliding to the 2 when needed, I think the offense may not be too bad.

3.  There is a void at the 5.  I have read on this board and other boards that Hammond needs to get stronger and he will get better.  While there is merit to that argument, a number of Hammond's problems are not strength related.  For over a year now, I have heard critiques of Hammond's mental toughness, and last night's performance offered nothing to dispute those opinions.  The one steal where he practically handed the ball to Villanova was a boneheaded move, and I am glad Miles yanked him immediately thereafter.  Fuller seems to be regressing almost.  I wonder if Hammond is rubbing off on Fuller.  

4.  From what I have heard about Borchardt, he needs conditioning and time in the system.  The guy has only been on the team for 1-2 months.  If he had been on the team all summer, I think the 5 would not be as bleak.

5.  The freshmen look like freshmen.  Please do not get me wrong here.  I feel the freshmen are extremely talented and was pleased with how they played last night.  However, Morrow was our best player at the 5.  He defended #23 well at times, but Morrow wore down playing against a guy who was 3-4 years older and had a 30 lb weight advantage.  McVeigh needs to get more comfortable in the system and get better picking his spots.  Jacobson needs to get healthier.  Watson needs to calm down a bit.  And all of them need a year of strength and conditioning.  I am a bit concerned these guys may wear down as the season goes.

6.  Andrew White is a great #2 guy.  Watching him, I felt White could play with Villanova.  However, I just do not see him carrying Nebraska in games.  

7.  The on-court leadership was lacking.  I am a huge Shavon fan.  However, it did not seem like Shavon was rallying the guys.  When the other team goes on a run, you need that on-court presence to rally everyone.  It may just be me, but I felt like the team had a deer-in-the-headlight look when Villanova was pulling ahead.  This kind of stuff cannot happen when we get to BIG play or it will be a long year.

Family members were getting high on Webster after the exhibition and first game. I cautioned them that Webster may once again not be able to finish on his drives when we play legit D1 teams. Wish I had been wrong. He and Parker shoot about 35% or so on lay ups and their TO's in this game were simply embarrassing when they are in leadership positions. I say bring them off the bench for defensive purposes as needed. Otherwise unless they improve greatly they need to sit for the most part.

Family members were getting high on Webster after the exhibition and first game. I cautioned them that Webster may once again not be able to finish on his drives when we play legit D1 teams. Wish I had been wrong. He and Parker shoot about 35% or so on lay ups and their TO's in this game were simply embarrassing when they are in leadership positions. I say bring them off the bench for defensive purposes as needed. Otherwise unless they improve greatly they need to sit for the most part.

I understand that Tai hasn't lived up to what we had hoped to this point.  But at the same time, if you are going to call us out for getting excited about Tai after 2 exhibition games, couldn't the same be said about calling him out after one bad game vs Nova? 

I know that the last 2 years haven't gone as we have hoped for Tai.  BUT, this season is early.  Tai is actually a very good defender, and with his length can give teams fits.  Where we need Tai is slashing to the rim and then making good decisions.  Will he ever do this?  Who knows.  My hope is the coaching staff can get him to understand that when he does attack the rim, he has the option to kick the ball out.  Tai actually is pretty darn good getting to the rim....the problem is he doesn't always finish well.  As I stated in my first post, he has to learn when to get to the rim, and when to kick it out (reading the defense). 

As far as starting Morrow/Watson to this point, I disagree with most on this board.  I have ZERO problems bringing those two off the bench.  Here is why.  Say you just go ahead and start them.  Did they truly "earn" that position, or do you just give that to them because Tai and Benny struggled in a few games?  Make these guys earn that spot.  Plus, you are then telling Benny/Tai that their hard work for the past 2-3 years has moved them to the bench.  Does this cause friction with the team?  I would say no, but that is only because I think Benny/Tai are really good teammates. 

Not only that, but I think starters in a basketball game are the most overrated things in sports.  Who really cares who starts the game?  I want my best 5 on the court at the end of the game.  I know some will say "Well we don't want to dig ourselves into a hole."  But from what I remember last night, we got out to a 23-16 lead with that starting core on the court? 

if anyone says Trueblood im walking out of this forum..

True . . . dat.

So, how about that Borchardt kid?  He's a guy who looks like he could get minutes, yeah?

anyone who can help us rebound should get min at the 5..Wes Unseld ghost should get min at the 5 for us this year.. 

We still need shooters, White looks to be the real deal and Shields is good 15 feet in.  McVeigh can stroke it but will struggle to create his own shoot vs quick teams.  Outside of that clank city from outside.

Shields is hitting at 37% from 3. That's just fine and it opens it up for him to get into the lane. If he can maintain that level, it will be great for him and NU.

I understand that Tai hasn't lived up to what we had hoped to this point. But at the same time, if you are going to call us out for getting excited about Tai after 2 exhibition games, couldn't the same be said about calling him out after one bad game vs Nova?

I know that the last 2 years haven't gone as we have hoped for Tai. BUT, this season is early. Tai is actually a very good defender, and with his length can give teams fits. Where we need Tai is slashing to the rim and then making good decisions. Will he ever do this? Who knows. My hope is the coaching staff can get him to understand that when he does attack the rim, he has the option to kick the ball out. Tai actually is pretty darn good getting to the rim....the problem is he doesn't always finish well. As I stated in my first post, he has to learn when to get to the rim, and when to kick it out (reading the defense).

As far as starting Morrow/Watson to this point, I disagree with most on this board. I have ZERO problems bringing those two off the bench. Here is why. Say you just go ahead and start them. Did they truly "earn" that position, or do you just give that to them because Tai and Benny struggled in a few games? Make these guys earn that spot. Plus, you are then telling Benny/Tai that their hard work for the past 2-3 years has moved them to the bench. Does this cause friction with the team? I would say no, but that is only because I think Benny/Tai are really good teammates.

Not only that, but I think starters in a basketball game are the most overrated things in sports. Who really cares who starts the game? I want my best 5 on the court at the end of the game. I know some will say "Well we don't want to dig ourselves into a hole." But from what I remember last night, we got out to a 23-16 lead with that starting core on the court?

I understand that Tai hasn't lived up to what we had hoped to this point.  But at the same time, if you are going to call us out for getting excited about Tai after 2 exhibition games, couldn't the same be said about calling him out after one bad game vs Nova? 

I know that the last 2 years haven't gone as we have hoped for Tai.  BUT, this season is early.  Tai is actually a very good defender, and with his length can give teams fits.  Where we need Tai is slashing to the rim and then making good decisions.  Will he ever do this?  Who knows.  My hope is the coaching staff can get him to understand that when he does attack the rim, he has the option to kick the ball out.  Tai actually is pretty darn good getting to the rim....the problem is he doesn't always finish well.  As I stated in my first post, he has to learn when to get to the rim, and when to kick it out (reading the defense). 

As far as starting Morrow/Watson to this point, I disagree with most on this board.  I have ZERO problems bringing those two off the bench.  Here is why.  Say you just go ahead and start them.  Did they truly "earn" that position, or do you just give that to them because Tai and Benny struggled in a few games?  Make these guys earn that spot.  Plus, you are then telling Benny/Tai that their hard work for the past 2-3 years has moved them to the bench.  Does this cause friction with the team?  I would say no, but that is only because I think Benny/Tai are really good teammates. 

Not only that, but I think starters in a basketball game are the most overrated things in sports.  Who really cares who starts the game?  I want my best 5 on the court at the end of the game.  I know some will say "Well we don't want to dig ourselves into a hole."  But from what I remember last night, we got out to a 23-16 lead with that starting core on the court? 

No... Morrow and Watson provided a blocked shot and 6 points in that stretch... If it wasn't for White hitting the initial 3's, it could of been ugly a lot earlier.

We were down 11-9 when Watson and Morrow came in and made it 23-16.  Tai and Benny are great on defense, but we can't score with them out there cause the offense is limited

There was a 2 minute stretch with 6:45 to 4:45 left in the fist half where we turned it over 5 damn times... 3 were on Benny and 1 was on Tai(The other one was Morrow)... That was the turning point in the game

We still need shooters, White looks to be the real deal and Shields is good 15 feet in.  McVeigh can stroke it but will struggle to create his own shoot vs quick teams.  Outside of that clank city from outside.

Shields is hitting at 37% from 3. That's just fine and it opens it up for him to get into the lane. If he can maintain that level, it will be great for him and NU.

I should have included Shields with White.  That said, it didn't matter who shot for them you knew it was going in.  We DON'T have that.