uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 8, vol 1 - Miss. Valley St.

Norm Peterson

Thanks to the mod for moving this to uneblinstu's thread.

I'm going to start with some guys at the bottom of the rotation:

Bakari:  You know, I think that kid might be better than I've given him credit for.  He didn't have a lot of minutes in Spain.  I figured he was just going to be a role player with limited minutes and wouldn't need to pay too much attention to him.  But he's better than I thought.  He makes some real heads-up plays when he has a chance.  He makes some good passes.  He's a strong athletic kid.  And he shoots the ball pretty well from deep.  I think he's a very competent combo guard.  I still think he should have redshirted just to balance out the recruiting classes.

Nick Fuller:  Nick has clearly earned some floor time.  Really elevated his game since last year.  He just needs to get over a psychological barrier to shooting well in games.  He just can't find his range when the ball is live.  In shoot-arounds and pre-games, he's money.  He just seems to out-think himself when he's in the game instead of just letting it go with feel.  But, overall, he looked good.  Went hard after the boards.  The game seems to have slowed down for him a lot.

Jacobson.  That mid-range jump shot he hit late in the game revealed something I've thought about the kid, which is that he's got a decent jumper and I think he has decent range with it, too.  If he gets to 6-9 1/2, which he predicts for himself, I think he needs to have a feel for the low post, which he doesn't yet have.  But his hoops IQ and shooting ability to go along with his length could be a big weapon for us down the road.

Jack "Zucchini" McVeigh.  What can you say?  Long, lean and very under-rated.  Has been the best of the freshmen so far.

Ed and Glynn, the 2 4-stars.  They both had somewhat off nights.  Ed needs to slow down a bit on his shots.  Those missed FTs were all rushed.  Then, he slowed down just a touch, took his time on that last one and hit it.  Same with one of his inside, point-blank shots.  He was trying to get the ball out of his hand almost too quickly and didn't even give it a chance to go in.  Glynn needs to put a little more air under the ball when he shoots it.  But I think you see the potential there with both of them, and it's pretty apparent why they had the rankings they had.  They're just at a higher level of athleticism. 

Shavon.  I think Shavon was working at trying to shoot through a slump.  He'd been shooting poorly through the exhibition and tonight and then, 2nd half, from the deep wing, dribbled out and let go of a deep three that you just knew was good the moment it left his fingertips.  I think he's getting it worked out and I'm confident he'll end up finding his range.

Tai.  With all the other guys contributing around him, there wasn't much opportunity for Tai to pad his stats, but I don't think that's ever really been his goal.  He played solid, physical D.  And did most of what he needed to do on offense, except nail that corner three.

White.  Keep it up, big fella.  As long as you're hitting like that, the boys are going to keep feeding you.  Love having those guys who can hit the corner three.  But Andrew isn't a one-trick pony.  He was able to get open for other looks as well.  Showed a little bit of ability to dribble drive.  That pull-up on the break was nice.

Benny.  Nice game.  Solid D.  Made some Glynn Watson-esque passes that he usually doesn't make. 

Hammond.  Had a couple of nice offensive moves there to score some points.  Not a dominant inside presence.  Still needs to gain a ton of weight.  But he's not a liability like I would have worried about him being last year.  He's a much better player than a year ago and I think his ceiling is a lot higher yet than where he currently is.  Someone to keep an eye on as the season progresses.

You can see the ball movement is just so much better this year and you aren't sitting there pulling your hair out that our best offensive player keeps taking ill-advised shots.  That's nice.

45% from deep.  That's nicer.

I have no negative comments about anyone.  We played well.  Good transition baskets.  Offensive movement was good to see.  Defense was solid.  Did a fine job rebounding, we have players that go after the ball.  Everyone played solidly, some better than others, but players showed good intuition, and good basketball IQ. 

Fun game to attend. 

Some random observations:

• I'm really impressed with what I saw from Jack McVeigh, particularly his apparent confidence and ease on the court.  One game sample (for me at least) but I see a guy who doesn't play like a freshman. 
  • Happy to see Jake Hammonds starting.  He is going to give us some productivity inside I feel.  He already has made more post moves than 2 years of Pitchford (hyperbole).  I hadn't noticed before, but he has some long arms.  Should give us a shot blocking presence inside.
  • I liked the passing and ball sharing.  Nice to see players making that extra pass on the perimeter to the open guy.  Keep it up.  It's early, but they all seem to be meshing well together. 
  • With our two 4 star froshes, Watson and Morrow.  I can see a lottt of potential there.  Their talent is raw, but the ceiling is huge for them.  Watson is going to be something special.  You can see he really has great court vision.  Needs to keep working on his outside shot. 

Definitely a fun game to attend. I like what I see for the future as long as we get a true center somewhere along the line. This team seems to like each other and Miles was doing a lot of tinkering out there with lineups. Still think a few of those guys should've redshirted (Trueblood and Evelyn) but most guys don't want to as if they choose to leave they lose that year anyhow if they don't play their first year due to the 5 year clock starting. At least I think that's the reason for the most part.

I am surprised not to see Morrow play more, but I would imagine that will come as the season progresses. We have a lot more potential weapons. It's really nice to see ball movement after the awfulness that was last year. We likely won't have a much better record but will we look better doing it I think. I concur with a lot of people's thoughts about individual players.

White is a nice consistent shooter we need. He has a little more to his game, but not much. Not exactly the most fleet of foot on defense for a 2 guard but he'll suffice. Benny showed some improved moxie. Shields will be there when it matters. McVeigh is gonna have his moments ... and have his struggles. He should be a real catch before he's all said and done. Morrow and Watson (as stated) just need to slow down a touch and that should come with experience. Tai is Tai and is slowly improving, but he is what he is. Still hangs his head a bit too easily but seems to be stepping up the leadership a bit. Jacobson is a real wildcard. If he can keep banging sufficiently inside and step out and hit that mid-range jumper he can contribute nicely. Fuller is showing more comfort out there but I'm gonna need to see that more often before I will count him in consistently. Hammond might just yet contribute. Evelyn might have more game than I was ready to give him credit for overall.

Rebounding is going to have to continue to be a big-time team effort. This team has a fresh feel and I like that we have options in numbers when others aren't playing well. We are still going to have games where we really struggle to score and shoot I think. We don't have a ton of guys who can make a post move or get their own shot but if we can keep ball movement where it's at we can have some success. Defending the post will have a lot to say about our defense as a whole. It's gonna be fun watching this team develop. We seem to have a lot of team-first guys who want to work hard and get better.

The key to this team will be 3 point shooting (45 %), defense (MVSU shot 26 %), and rebounding (gave up 15 offensive rebounds)

A nice win last night.  We did what we should have.  Got out to a big lead and ran away from an overmatched team.  Didn't tax our starters (No starter played over 20 minutes).  Got plenty of minutes for our bench.  If Hammond can give us a quality 15 minutes a game, and average 4 and 3, I will be happy.  However, the talent level will go way up.

"Bakari: You know, I think that kid might be better than I've given him credit for. He didn't have a lot of minutes in Spain. I figured he was just going to be a role player with limited minutes and wouldn't need to pay too much attention to him. But he's better than I thought. He makes some real heads-up plays when he has a chance. He makes some good passes. He's a strong athletic kid. And he shoots the ball pretty well from deep. I think he's a very competent combo guard. I still think he should have redshirted just to balance out the recruiting classes."

I mighta missed on him, too, Norm. He might be alright. Of course we'll see when better completion rolls in.

I wanted to spend a minute and discuss defense.  I heard a couple of whispers about AW III's defense.  I am somewhat confused by "perhaps" a negative view of his ability on the defensive end.  Granted, he may not be the quickest player on the floor, but he does a whole lot right. He is long, he is stronger than what he looks, he has serious hops, he has good court awareness, he has good court vision, and he has a good motor.

This team (against two bad teams) plays excellent team defense.  Given the depth, those on the floor can go hard without taking a play off.  We are missing that ultimate eraser in the paint, but hopefully that depth will make up for that "issue."

Our offense looks better in two games then it did most of last year.  But there will not be a drop off in defense, in fact, it has a chance to be even better given the depth we are blessed with.

I wanted to spend a minute and discuss defense. I heard a couple of whispers about AW III's defense. I am somewhat confused by "perhaps" a negative view of his ability on the defensive end. Granted, he may not be the quickest player on the floor, but he does a whole lot right. He is long, he is stronger than what he looks, he has serious hops, he has good court awareness, he has good court vision, and he has a good

Could you provide some examples of that? I sure hope nothing I said lead anyone to believe AWIII doesn't guard. He's very capable on D and certainly will only be helpful, not a hindrance.

Including the exhibition game, Andrew White is now 6 of 9 from three-

point range.  Jack McVeigh is 5 of 7.  Be nice to have one more guy in the regular rotation who's 40% or better.  Bakari Evelyn has shot 2 of 3, but he's not quite in the regular rotation.

Shavon made one last night, and his stroke looked very smooth & seemed like he was more comfortable from distance than last season's poor % would indicate. Hope Shields can be a consistent threat, it will open up his driving lane if he's at 35% (or greater) from three-land.

I wanted to spend a minute and discuss defense. I heard a couple of whispers about AW III's defense. I am somewhat confused by "perhaps" a negative view of his ability on the defensive end. Granted, he may not be the quickest player on the floor, but he does a whole lot right. He is long, he is stronger than what he looks, he has serious hops, he has good court awareness, he has good court vision, and he has a good

Could you provide some examples of that? I sure hope nothing I said lead anyone to believe AWIII doesn't guard. He's very capable on D and certainly will only be helpful, not a hindrance.

Wasn't necessarily on this site.  I heard it at the game and I heard similar comments after the exhibition win.  Point is, everyone will likely get beat on occasion.  That doesn't make someone a bad defender.

The knock on him was generally guarding the 2 spot I believe. He's a good player, people (scouts) were concerned with his foot speed.

I do t have any complaints with how we played. You see the talent in the youth, morrow expanding his range. Playing off the bounce. I wish we would throw the ball in to the post more, it's hard to do but it would really open things up.

I think it will take a few games for the frosh to settle down.

This was fun. Tomorrow it is real. My biggest concern will remain, rebounding.

Post Game Miles

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4688045

Miles giving props to Fuller for earning his way back into the rotation and making the most of his time on the court.

Highlights

http://www.huskers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=4687968

Glad for Fuller...he didn't look great in the exhibition game and was hoping he would be someone to contribute this year.  He's not a terrible athlete but not A+ either...but in the limited time he received last year he appears to be someone who makes up for it with good fundamentals and has a knack for the ball.  If he can knock down the outside jumper like he was recruited to do so he should receive major minutes this year.