Sayin' it now: No confidence we come back, down 6 in the 4th Q

Norm Peterson

June 30 cannot come soon enough.  

Do you think Barry Alvarez might help out by retiring any time soon for Eichy to move north, in addition to Harv stepping aside?

That would be nice, but I don't see it happening.  But the new Chancellor, with inputs from certain Regents, will insure that SE never hires another coach at Nebraska.

Do you think Barry Alvarez might help out by retiring any time soon for Eichy to move north, in addition to Harv stepping aside?

That would be nice, but I don't see it happening.  But the new Chancellor, with inputs from certain Regents, will insure that SE never hires another coach at Nebraska.

What happens should the Dodgers pull the trigger and name Erstad their new skipper.

What happens should the Dodgers pull the trigger and name Erstad their new skipper.

Doubt it happens, but you are right, that would wreak some havoc with my scenario.   We would be in a bind. As Sipple mentions in his column this morning, Eichorst does not have the confidence of upper management.  He is metaphorically dead man walking.  If something as strange as Ersty getting a new job happened, the timing couldn't be worse, due to all the other things happening right now.  

That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. But the new Chancellor, with inputs from certain Regents, will insure that SE never hires another coach at Nebraska.

Doubt it happens, but you are right, that would wreak some havoc with my scenario. We would be in a bind. As Sipple mentions in his column this morning, Eichorst does not have the confidence of upper management. He is metaphorically dead man walking. If something as strange as Ersty getting a new job happened, the timing couldn't be worse, due to all the other things happening right now.

You actually think Sipple has his finger on the pulse of anything. Come on HB. You know better than that don't you? He has had a hard on for the AD ever since his BOyfriend got canned. The only upper level person that even gives it a second thought is Clare and his reason for that is similar to Sipple's.

That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. But the new Chancellor, with inputs from certain Regents, will insure that SE never hires another coach at Nebraska.

Doubt it happens, but you are right, that would wreak some havoc with my scenario. We would be in a bind. As Sipple mentions in his column this morning, Eichorst does not have the confidence of upper management. He is metaphorically dead man walking. If something as strange as Ersty getting a new job happened, the timing couldn't be worse, due to all the other things happening right now.

You actually think Sipple has his finger on the pulse of anything. Come on HB. You know better than that don't you? He has had a hard on for the AD ever since his BOyfriend got canned. The only upper level person that even gives it a second thought is Clare and his reason for that is similar to Sipple's.

Actually, Haymarket, Sip has many high level sources and contacts.  I realize he will never be given any credit by the Bo haters, but trust me, he has more going on then you will ever know.   I would be happy to elaborate at one or our Railyard haunts.

It's too bad you can't move on from your Bo hatred.   He got fired almost a year ago and is gone.  If Eichorst will always be your hero for merely doing what Harvey brought him in to do, regardless of how he does at anything else, I guess that is your prerogative.  

If you think Eichorst is doing a good job and also made a good football hire, and if you think Riley is the guy, hey, that's cool.  But perhaps you could let those positions stand on their own rather than hurling more Bo venom.  Cause if I get your post, the only reason anyone could find fault with Eichorst or Riley is because they are still butt hurt over Bo getting fired.  As opposed to actually watching this team play football and knowing something about  Riley's coaching record.  

In fairness, HB has been pretty consistent about redirecting the discussion from anything about Pelini to more of a "well, now what?" kind of thing. 

That's oftentimes my approach in life:  We can't worry about why we are where we are; we need to worry about getting where we want to be.  How we got here is in the past and is no longer within our control because it's happened already.  What we can control is what we do from now on out.

So, in that vein, is there anything to salvage with this program right now (other than the players with remaining eligibility?)

The only backwards glance you really need to take is to look at whether the results we're seeing on the field are commensurate with the hand that Riley was dealt in terms of the players he inherited.

Personally, I don't think recruiting was great under Pelini, but I don't think it was "get shellacked by Purdue" bad.

Actually, Haymarket, Sip has many high level sources and contacts.  I realize he will never be given any credit by the Bo haters, but trust me, he has more going on then you will ever know.   I would be happy to elaborate at one or our Railyard haunts.

It's too bad you can't move on from your Bo hatred.   He got fired almost a year ago and is gone.  If Eichorst will always be your hero for merely doing what Harvey brought him in to do, regardless of how he does at anything else, I guess that is your prerogative.  

If you think Eichorst is doing a good job and also made a good football hire, and if you think Riley is the guy, hey, that's cool.  But perhaps you could let those positions stand on their own rather than hurling more Bo venom.  Cause if I get your post, the only reason anyone could find fault with Eichorst or Riley is because they are still butt hurt over Bo getting fired.  As opposed to actually watching this team play football and knowing something about  Riley's coaching record.  

HB,

As you know I don’t typically comment much on this board and I tend to try and be positive about most things I do put on here so my comments might have come off harsher than I wanted and definitely hit a sore spot for you. My doctor suggested the other day that I might need to reduce the stress in my life and he asked me what was different.  Husker football! Duh! The actual difference was I actually started to get upset at what other people think about subjects I have a passion for. Before I could care less about message board banter and stuck strictly to private conversations with individuals because I feel they are more genuine. I should probably go back to that and maybe just stay off non basketball related areas of this site. This is where I go to get away from the things that I see on Facebook, Rivals, etc...  The basketball discussions and respect shown for each other on this board are miles ahead of anywhere else. I’ll just stay out of the fall sports section from now on so I don’t get so worked up. I just feel that there is a lot of information that is not being considered by most people, but I’m also not sure it is my job to step in and provide all that information either. Everyone is entitled to an opinion just like I am, even if I disagree with it. The one thing I will say is that just because we can put our thoughts and opinions out on social media doesn’t always mean we should. Especially right after something we are so emotionally tied to.

So I stepped away for a few days on this to cool off because a few things you said here are not true and you really don't know where I stand on the AD and our current football coach since we haven't talked much since I told you Bo was going to be fired last fall. You made some assumptions. Dislike for Bo and thoughts and feeling regarding our current coaching staff and AD are two separate topics as you mentioned.  The two you didn't assume incorrectly was my thoughts on Steve and Bo.

I would be happy to list all of the reasons for why Bo should not be a head football coach, which we have mostly covered but I'd be happy to add to it as there is a substantial listing of reasons.  I would prefer to do that in private if you want to continue this as I don’t want to clutter up the thread with it.  I'll even buy the first beverage.  I assure you we agree on some things but the Bo thing we will never agree on. I have as much of a dislike of him as you do for Harvey and the current AD. I can understand why you would want to put the stink he infected our program with behind you. I wish I could, but it still lingers. J

Now let us get to Steve as a journalist. While I should have phrased it better what I was implying is that Steve has bias. You may not see it, as his articles match up with your beliefs, but he does. He is an opinion writer and everything he writes is his opinion and has bias. I know of a few "higher ups" that won't give Steve the time of day so while he has some high level sources and contacts it doesn't mean he has his finger on the pulse of everyone that matters. I have no doubt he knows the pulse of those that are still upset about how the AD hire went down and those few on the BOR who still felt like BO needed more time, but not all of the decision makers I can assure you.  I'm sure there is another sports writer in this state that you feel the same way about as I do Steve. It is what it is. I stopped reading and listening to Steve well before Bo was brought back in to be head coach. So my thoughts about him have been consistent since before 2007.

By the way Steve should have high level contacts and lots of them, he has been a sports writer in one of the best college football markets in the country for how many years? If he didn't and I was his boss at the Journal Star I would march down to his desk, tuck his wrinkled shirt down the front of his pants and dump all his personal belongings down the neck whole, kick him in the pants and tell him to hit the bricks. I think Steve is lazy and has been phoning it in for years. He has done very little to develop new contacts and sources and because of this he still lives in the bubble of the old establishment. His "water is wet" and "the sky is blue" columns might be great for some people, just not for me. There are more sides to the stories than he tells. That is his prerogative and he is welcome to it, but people will call him out, along with those who believe everything he writes. 

Let me know when you want that beer, I’m afraid I’m going to need something stronger than that. 

Let me know when you want that beer, I’m afraid I’m going to need something stronger than that. 

Allow me to suggest Knob Creek Single Barrel (aged 9 years.)  But drink it neat; it's too good to mix.

It's bottled at 120 proof, which is about 50% more alcohol than most regular bourbons but you really don't notice the extra alcohol.  Unless you drink too much of it.  Which I wouldn't recommend doing.  Especially if you plan on driving.

Allow me to suggest Knob Creek Single Barrel (aged 9 years.)  But drink it neat; it's too good to mix.

It's bottled at 120 proof, which is about 50% more alcohol than most regular bourbons but you really don't notice the extra alcohol.  Unless you drink too much of it.  Which I wouldn't recommend doing.  Especially if you plan on driving.

I was thinking more like gasoline but maybe I should start with the bottle of Yamazaki 18 I brought home with me from Japan.

I was thinking more like gasoline but maybe I should start with the bottle of Yamazaki 18 I brought home with me from Japan.

For relaxing times...make it Suntory time!

Really good stuff BTW!