2015-2016 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

If you go by KenPom (which this thread obviously does), by the end of the night tomorrow night, we'll have faced 3 teams in the top 16 of KenPom's rankings.  That's got to be a huge boost to our strength of schedule (and a 4 point loss to Cinci isn't looking too bad at all, is it?) and if we can snag a win against Miami, it'll be a HUGE boost to our overall ranking.

Or, in the words of Donald Trump, it would be a YUGE boost.  Very classy, very tasteful, yuge boost.

Miami's loss to NE may have brought them down from cloud nine so I expect we will have Miami's full attention.  Listening to Coach Miles after the Tenn win he expected some tired legs for us come Tuesday but that home court advantage would prove to be true.  Excited to see how the team plays with their first true home test. 

I was thinking the same thing about Miami.  Was so bummed they lost.  They could have been close to a top 10 team had they been undefeated coming in.  The new rankings for the week haven't come out yet, but I'm guessin they will be in the 18-20 range still.  Either way this is a big game for us and I hope the fans come out big time!  With football having a tough year, lets hope the fans now turn their full attention to hoops.  

We need to make darn sure we don't slip up and have a bad loss against any of the lower tier teams that we face.  No losses to the likes of the Incarnate Words of the world.  During conference season, that means we have to sweep Rutgers and Penn State (and the fact that we play both of those teams twice is a reflection that the table is somewhat set for our guys if they take care of business.)

And we need to snag a win or two against the top tier teams in the non-con and another win or two against top tier teams during conference play.  So, sneaking a W against Miami would be YUGE. The only other opportunities in the non-con would be @ Creighton and home against Rhode Island.

No oopsies this season.  Win the games we should win; win a couple of the games we're not supposed to win.  Climb into that bubble discussion.

By the way, RPI Forecast today has us listed as 3.5 point dogs to Miami, with a 39% chance to win.

Predicted overall win totals for the season is now about 18 or 19 wins.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Nebraska.html

Today we're 3.8 point dogs, 38% chance to win.

What do they know?

We're either good enough to win or we're not. 

Lace 'em up and let's find out.

And then we'll have a lot better feel for what kind of team we really have.

Moved up to 97.  I think we're most definitely a bubble team based on the evidence so far.  Our three losses were to the #1 (Nova), #16 (Cin.), and #17(Miami) teams, and the latter two were toss-ups.  

We handily beat the #92 team, and I think we'll go 1-1 @ #54 (Creighton, L) and #41 (Rhode Island, W).  

So, really, that puts us, talent-wise, right around the 40-60 range, in my opinion, and I'm hoping that's where we end up.  I'd give no definitive favorite to us, OSU, Northwestern, Illinois, or Minnesota.  It's going to be a bubble dogfight.  

Not a lot of change today.  Villanova moves up to #1.

RPI Forecast has us at 99% chance of winning saturday, with a margin of 28.6 points.  They have us with a 9-4 non-con and 9-9 B1G record right now.

KenPom rankings as of 12-02-15.

===========================

B1G (0-0):
6. Purdue
7. Michigan State
20. Maryland
21. Iowa
26. Indiana
32. Michigan
37. Wisconsin
66. Northwestern
73. Ohio State
82. Illinois
86. Minnesota
97. Nebraska
182. Penn State
220. Rutgers

Non-Conference (5-3):
349. Mississippi Valley State - W

---Gavitt Tipoff Games---
1. @Villanova - L

345. Delaware State - W

---Barclay's Center Classic---
323. Southeastern Louisiana - W
328. Arkansas Pine-Bluff - W
16. Cincinnati - L
92. Tennessee - W

---B1G/ACC Challenge---
17. Miami - L

342. Abilene Christian
54. @Creighton
41. Rhode Island
232. Samford
344. Prairie View A&M

Got to thinking about this (always a dangerous activity for me) in bed and I was wondering if we were the 'Best' 3 loss team in KenPom?

NOT!!

Here's who is ahead of us:

#31 - G'town - 3-3

#37 - Wiscy - 4-3

#42 - Tejas - 3-3

#43 - Shockers - 2-4

#44 - San Diego St - 5-3

#49 - UCLA - 4-3

#61 - Boise St - 3-4

#64 - Temple - 2-3

#65 - NC St - 4-3

#73 - Ohio St - 2-4

#75 - Richmond - 4-3

#82 - Illini - 3-4

#88 - LSU - 3-3

#90 - Belmont - 5-3

#92 - Tennessee - 4-3

&

#94 - Stephen F. Austin - 3-3

REALLY!  With losses to #s 1, 16 & 17  I'm seeing a lot of room to Move-Up! (if we don't lose our Cool).  This team is growing-up fast!

Creighton and Rhode Island better 'Watch-Out!'

Considering Nebraska beat Tennessee by 11 less than a week ago makes one wonder why TN is at #92 and NU at #97?!

Hmmmmm.....

It's because for most of the season, UT was hovering around the 75-85 range and up until about 10 days ago we were in the 130's.

And, playing highly ranked teams close is great and all, but we need to win those games in order to really jump.

Considering Nebraska beat Tennessee by 11 less than a week ago makes one wonder why TN is at #92 and NU at #97?!

Hmmmmm.....

Head to head does not matter in KenPom. All games are considered equal. If Team A has played 10 games and Team B has played 10 games, even if they have played each other, that game will only count 1/10 toward the overall rating for both teams (actually less than that because earlier in the season, the ranking is still credibility-weighted against the preseason ranking).

Hmmmmm.....

Head to head does not matter in KenPom. All games are considered equal. If Team A has played 10 games and Team B has played 10 games, even if they have played each other, that game will only count 1/10 toward the overall rating for both teams (actually less than that because earlier in the season, the ranking is still credibility-weighted against the preseason ranking).

Thanks for the explanation, '9er & Actuary. I wondered about the nuts & bolts of that KenPom. It just seems 'wrong' at the moment; Guess it'll work itself out over the long haul of the season...

Hmmmmm.....

Thanks for the explanation, '9er & Actuary. I wondered about the nuts & bolts of that KenPom. It just seems 'wrong' at the moment; Guess it'll work itself out over the long haul of the season...

The idea is that in basketball, you get many more data points over the course of the season to judge how good a team is. In football, you only get 12 games. Therefore, head to head will by default need to be more used in football when comparing teams.

Up to 11th in the B1G thanks to Coach Smith and the South Dakota 'Yotes.

KenPom rankings as of 12-06-15.

===========================

B1G (0-0):
4. Purdue
7. Michigan State
20. Maryland
21. Iowa
25. Indiana
30. Michigan
37. Wisconsin
64. Northwestern
69. Ohio State