2015-2016 KenPom Rankings Thread

49r

According to his 'about me' it looks like he has the potential for some Big Ten bias (whether there is or not): "To be clear: I am a fan of the Baltimore Orioles, Miami Dolphins, Arizona Coyotes, and Purdue Boilermakers in the US..."

Did you look at this website, though? It seems to involve a fairly involved formula.

Yeah it would be interesting to see what he factors into that formula. Of course they won't share it all since that's the bread and butter. My comment was more so just disclosure of his association. Kind of like how you hear things like NBC reporting on something like FanDual and say "we should also say that NBC Corporation has some stake in this company." :)

Hi guys,

I am the guy from AMSTS. Saw you guys linking in and was reading the thread so thought I would answer your comments.

My rankings are all done via computer (in Excel) and there is no known Big Ten (or Pro-Purdue as yes I am a Purdue fan/alum). I use the same system for football and basketball and Purdue didn't fair too well in the football rankings :)

The ranking is made up from two subcomponents: a win ranking and a points ranking. Each individually is loosely modeled on the Elo Chess method, but iterative (beating Team A in week 1 is the same as in week 10, unlike Elo). So if you have two teams that beat, say, Wisconsin, the first by 4 and the second by 8, team 1 would have same win ranking as team 2 since all wins are equal. The points ranking would go to team 2 which means their overall score would be higher (67% win, 33% points, roughly).

Hope that helps. I write plenty of other stuff on the site, so I hope you all take a look. Thanks for the PR, I am hardly some KenPom, just a schmuck living overseas writing his crappy blog so that one day he can get big enough to not have to work overseas any more :)

If you have other questions feel free, I will keep an eye out over the coming days.

Thanks for visiting...I don't think we've had Ken Pomeroy poke his head in here yet so you at least got him on that.  :)

Hi guys,

I am the guy from AMSTS. Saw you guys linking in and was reading the thread so thought I would answer your comments.

My rankings are all done via computer (in Excel) and there is no known Big Ten (or Pro-Purdue as yes I am a Purdue fan/alum). I use the same system for football and basketball and Purdue didn't fair too well in the football rankings :)

The ranking is made up from two subcomponents: a win ranking and a points ranking. Each individually is loosely modeled on the Elo Chess method, but iterative (beating Team A in week 1 is the same as in week 10, unlike Elo). So if you have two teams that beat, say, Wisconsin, the first by 4 and the second by 8, team 1 would have same win ranking as team 2 since all wins are equal. The points ranking would go to team 2 which means their overall score would be higher (67% win, 33% points, roughly).

Hope that helps. I write plenty of other stuff on the site, so I hope you all take a look. Thanks for the PR, I am hardly some KenPom, just a schmuck living overseas writing his crappy blog so that one day he can get big enough to not have to work overseas any more :)

If you have other questions feel free, I will keep an eye out over the coming days.

Glad we could assist you in finding our group, AMSTS (as in "all my sports teams suck" - lol). Enjoyed your site... Have a good one, come back any time to converse college hoops, especially in the B1G.

Thanks for stopping by AMSTS, even though I didn't understand a single thing you said. What country are you working from?

Here's the easy version. The rankings are based on winning/strength of schedule (66%) and margin of victory (33%).

I am in Germany for work. It's okay but I miss my sports. Time to get back.

We're currently #109 (Illinois #110.)  That's with wins over #80 Tennessee and #49 Rhode Island.  (And losses to #4 Villanova, #12 Miami in OT, and #22 Cincinatti.)

Meanwhile, 5-5 Yale is ranked as the Kenpom #95 team with wins over #188 Fairfield, #286 Sacred Heart, #222 Lehigh, #319 Bryant and #145 Vermont.  And losses to everyone else.

Yale is 5-5.  Their best win is against #145 Vermont.  At home.  They lost to #110 Illinois.  Our worst loss is #60 Creighton.

Yet Yale is #95 per Kenpom and we're #109.

Makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

I put it on hiatus after the Samford debacle. If it is deemed necessary, I could be persuaded to start up again after the Illinois game. Submit your vote below. Polls close at the end of the game Saturday.

I want it to return.

Having said that I always used the kenpom numbers but then people correct me about real rpi.