2016-17 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

I despise CU, and I don't believe they've done anything special to the point that their fans should thump their chest. They had arguably the best player in college basketball, at least as a senior, and he stayed for 4 years. Yet they never made the Sweet 16. So many teams have been better than them historically, yet their fan base acts like they are the Gonzaga of the Midwest. And I hate that we cannot beat them as of late. December can't get here quick enough. GBR!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's making fun of them?  I'm not, I'm dead serious.  Sweet 16 is not only a realistic goal for them, I believe they should be ashamed if they don't get at least that far with what they've built.  The honest truth is they've built something special there and we should recognize that.

That doesn't make their fanbase any less detestable, nor does it make me have to like or even respect who and what they are.  It also shouldn't stop us from aspiring to lofty goals ourselves.  But let's not delude ourselves into thinking they haven't passed us by, but instead recognize that if it's possible in Omaha to build a nationally relevant program it is sure as hell possible to do the same in Lincoln.

As for Nebraska?  With the youth on our roster, the depth of the B1G and the meat grinder of a non-con we have this year I absolutely agree with Washut in saying that realistically NIT is the ceiling.  Doesn't mean we can't get on a hot streak and do something special, one only has to go back to 2014 to see what is possible with a young team.  But to expect it?  No, not this year anyway.

I recognize that CU is loaded this year and has high expectations but I've heard the same song and dance from them many times.  They were loaded a few years ago when Doug was a senior and yet fell short of expectations.  I'm not denying they shouldn't have a goal of a sweet 16 appearance but they have had teams with that kind of talent in the past and couldn't get there.  So just like us in hopes that we get a win in the tournament, until I actually see them make the sweet 16, it will still just remain a carrot dangling out in front of them every year.

As i have posted many times, I just don't have the animosity toward Creighton that many have on the board. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see us beat them as frequently as we used to though. To be fair, any team that hasn't won the NCAA in the past has that illusive dangling carrot. In our case it is just a very large one and it seems to be hanging further away than for most. And while we are on the subject, why don't we make it a doughnut or a jellyroll-I don't even like carrots.

3. Hang with Kansas. 

I get that Kansas rarely loses at home and will probably be a top 10 team. However, we play in the B1G, yearly face elite teams on the road and occasionally beat them.  I don't think we will win but I'm not intimidated enough to not consider that we can't win...that the best we can do is "hang".  I don't think this team is either.

KU is gonna brutalize us, dimes.  Don't kid yourself.

Consider...Colorado went in to Allen a couple years ago, with a KU alum head coach, in the midst of a like 4 year run of consecutive NCAA tourney appearances, with wins a year before against Arizona and KU and I believe KU beat 'em by like 40.  We're not as good as that CU team.

KU is gonna brutalize us, dimes.  Don't kid yourself.

Consider...Colorado went in to Allen a couple years ago, with a KU alum head coach, in the midst of a like 4 year run of consecutive NCAA tourney appearances, with wins a year before against Arizona and KU and I believe KU beat 'em by like 40.  We're not as good as that CU team.

It's way too early in the year to anecdotally lower expectations.

Early in year the Jayhawks have been known to play to level of opponents. Suffice it to say they will not be exactly sky high about getting to play the Huskers again. The trick will be to not let the youngsters get intimidated by the "Phog".

It will probably go similar to the way the Nova game went last year.  For the first what...15 minutes we looked like we belonged and maybe had a chance at an upset?  Then we hit a road block and it went down hill from there.  In the non con we just need to take care of business at home and hopefully get two wins in the tournament.   

Early in year the Jayhawks have been known to play to level of opponents. Suffice it to say they will not be exactly sky high about getting to play the Huskers again. The trick will be to not let the youngsters get intimidated by the "Phog".

They'll be ready jimmy, and I am confident they will be inspired to make sure they "remind Nebraska of its place" in the hoops pecking order, particularly because there are still many in jayhawk land who feel betrayed by NU leaving for the Big Ten.  Plus, KU just does not lose at home, period.

Best we can hope for is a moral victory I'm afraid.  And anecdotal or not, one must only be reminded of Self's record at home and the long, LONG list of top 25 teams that have gone in there to only get handily dispatched to know that a win is simply out of the question.

I only brought up Colorado because they are somewhat similar to Nebraska in that they have been historically mediocre, left the Big 12 and entered their series with Kansas hoping to get KU to play down to their level (which, as I said before is still above the level we're at now) and keep the game close, perhaps sneak out of Lawrence with a dub, and still ended up getting just ROCKED at Allen.

I apologize for the wording of my first post that someone thought I was a trolling Creighton fan. I'm from Omaha and despise Creighton and everything that has to do with the program and the fanbase. I sat in San Antonio and watched Baylor smack their "Best Team Ever" with their version of of the second coming that was Doug McDermott since I had already purchased Sunday tickets along with tickets to our session on Friday. I just listed the 3 what ifs in order they are scheduled on the calendar. Sorry I'm new here. 

What would be more satisfying in the non con this year? What do you want to see more as a fan? What do you think the staff wants more deep down?

1. Make a run or win the Wooden Legacy

2. Beat Creighton

3. Hang with Kansas. 

Interesting troll attempt, bluejay fan...

tumblr_inline_nqwtvcy4m71qjuey1_500.gif

If I were actually a "Bluejay fan" my grandfather would do a front flip in his grave. Wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

I apologize for the wording of my first post that someone thought I was a trolling Creighton fan. I'm from Omaha and despise Creighton and everything that has to do with the program and the fanbase. I sat in San Antonio and watched Baylor smack their "Best Team Ever" with their version of of the second coming that was Doug McDermott since I had already purchased Sunday tickets along with tickets to our session on Friday. I just listed the 3 what ifs in order they are scheduled on the calendar. Sorry I'm new here.

You're fine.

So, Jake, what are *your* thoughts on the non-con?

You're fine.

So, Jake, what are *your* thoughts on the non-con?

I think that they have a shot to win multiple games out in Anaheim which would be big even if they don't win the tournament. I think they have a very good shot at Creighton due to the fact that this is probably the most athletic team Miles has had. The Watson v. Watson matchup is gonna be a doozy. Kansas game is going to be rough, but I agree with whoever said it could end up like Nova last year where we look like we could pull it off early but then run out of gas. This Kansas team is drawing rave reviews nationally and some are even calling it Self's most talented team. The Phog is like Fort Knox, very few who come in make it out. We should be hoping to leave Lawrence with a moral victory. But overall I think this team has the chance to make some statements in Anaheim and against the school up I80. 

Here is a pretty good example of unrealistic preseason optimism, this is from the Rutgers SB Nation blog:

What To Watch For At Big Ten Basketball Media Day - On The Banks

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/10/12/13221420/big-ten-basketball-media-day-rutgers-steve-pikiell-corey-sanders-wisconsin-michigan-state-indiana

Wisconsin should be the favorite and based on the media selecting three Badgers onto the preseason all-conference team, I’d be shocked if they weren’t projected to win the league. Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana should be chosen for the next three spots and probably in that order. Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, and Iowa should round out the 5-8 spots. Northwestern, Illinois and Penn State should be chosen between 9-11, with Minnesota, Nebraska, and Rutgers probably being picked as the bottom three teams. I think Rutgers can finish ahead of both schools and their only games against the two are at the RAC this season.

So yeah...

Here is a pretty good example of unrealistic preseason optimism, this is from the Rutgers SB Nation blog:

http://www.onthebanks.com/2016/10/12/13221420/big-ten-basketball-media-day-rutgers-steve-pikiell-corey-sanders-wisconsin-michigan-state-indiana

Wisconsin should be the favorite and based on the media selecting three Badgers onto the preseason all-conference team, I’d be shocked if they weren’t projected to win the league. Michigan State, Purdue, and Indiana should be chosen for the next three spots and probably in that order. Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, and Iowa should round out the 5-8 spots. Northwestern, Illinois and Penn State should be chosen between 9-11, with Minnesota, Nebraska, and Rutgers probably being picked as the bottom three teams. I think Rutgers can finish ahead of both schools and their only games against the two are at the RAC this season.

So yeah...

Entertaining...  :wacko:

So yeah...

This is hilarious

So yeah...

To be fair they have Corey Sanders who is a stud....but, if they finish ahead of us in the Big Ten it means we only won 2-3 games...which, should not be an issue for us.