2016-17 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some snippits from TM on his radio show about next year's schedule.  Some of this we already know.  Non-conference includes:

1. ACC Challenge game
  2. NU will not be a participant in the Big East challenge next year.  They "have a year off"
  3. Creighton
  4. Kansas
  5. Anaheim Wooden Classic
  6. Didn't mention South Dakota specifically, but when asked about a rumor that they would be opening a new arena at a school up North, TM said "definitely not".
  7. TM closed by saying that while we had 6 lower-level opponents on this past year's schedule, we'll more likely have 2-3 this coming year.

TM closed by saying that while we had 6 lower-level opponents on this past year's schedule, we'll more likely have 2-3 this coming year.

This is Miles spelling out what was pretty obvious: this schedule was put together to get some confidence wins more than it was all put together to piece together an at large tournament birth.

Some snippits from TM on his radio show about next year's schedule.  Some of this we already know.  Non-conference includes:

1. ACC Challenge game
  2. NU will not be a participant in the Big East challenge next year.  They "have a year off"
  3. Creighton
  4. Kansas
  5. Anaheim Wooden Classic
  6. Didn't mention South Dakota specifically, but when asked about a rumor that they would be opening a new arena at a school up North, TM said "definitely not".
  7. TM closed by saying that while we had 6 lower-level opponents on this past year's schedule, we'll more likely have 2-3 this coming year.

Thanks, Cager. All good stuff in tonight's show.

2016 Wooden Legacy Classic: UCLA, Butler, New Mexico, Nebraska, CS Northridge, Dayton, Texas A&M, Portland, & Virginia Tech are reportedly in the 2016 field (although that makes 9 teams, one team must have bowed out but unsure which one did so...)

Was looking at the field today and it looks like Butler is the team no longer in the field.

Looking at the field:

UCLA suffered about the same fate we did.

New Mexico wasn't much better.

Dayton is a 7 seed.

A&M is a 3 seed and won the SEC regular season title.

Virginia Tech was a 3 seed in the NIT.

Portland & Northridge were both pretty terrible.

I don't know anything about what any of these teams lose or bring in, but based of this years results, A&M and Dayton will be the favorites. NU should be competitive vs. everyone else. I'd love to see NU matchup with UCLA.

2016 Wooden Legacy Classic: UCLA, Butler, New Mexico, Nebraska, CS Northridge, Dayton, Texas A&M, Portland, & Virginia Tech are reportedly in the 2016 field (although that makes 9 teams, one team must have bowed out but unsure which one did so...)

Was looking at the field today and it looks like Butler is the team no longer in the field.

Looking at the field:

UCLA suffered about the same fate we did.

New Mexico wasn't much better.

Dayton is a 7 seed.

A&M is a 3 seed and won the SEC regular season title.

Virginia Tech was a 3 seed in the NIT.

Portland & Northridge were both pretty terrible.

I don't know anything about what any of these teams lose or bring in, but based of this years results, A&M and Dayton will be the favorites. NU should be competitive vs. everyone else. I'd love to see NU matchup with UCLA.

A&M will pry still be good...but they do lose their top 2 players

I can see VaTech being formidable as they return everyone.   UCLA will always have talent and they don't lose much (outside of some early entry possibilities)

I think it's a pretty solid field.   If we can go 2-1.....it'll be a big boost for us.  

Real curious as to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.    Let's be honest....we aren't winning in Phogg and we aren't trending well against Creighton.

If we want to dance, we can't lose more than 4 non-con games.  

2-1 in Anaheim, win the acc/big east challenge and then lose to Kansas and Creighton gives us 3 non-con losses against a solid schedule and sets us up with a chance to make a run in the conference.

Real curious as to the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.    Let's be honest....we aren't winning in Phogg and we aren't trending well against Creighton.

2-1 in Anaheim, win the acc/big east challenge and then lose to Kansas and Creighton gives us 3 non-con losses against a solid schedule and sets us up with a chance to make a run in the conference.

I think one of Clemson, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech or Florida State would be most likely opponents. Clemson or Georgia Tech would be most preferred since we haven't seen them yet.

NC State would have been an attractive match-up I think, but they're lined up for a home game this year, if they hold to a strict home/away alternation.

I think one of Clemson, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech or Florida State would be most likely opponents. Clemson or Georgia Tech would be most preferred since we haven't seen them yet.

NC State would have been an attractive match-up I think, but they're lined up for a home game this year, if they hold to a strict home/away alternation.

And Nebraska would likely be lined up for a road game after hosting Miami this past season. So methinks NC St would be a good option for NU, anyway. Not sure the Wolfpack would share our sentiment, though.

And Nebraska would likely be lined up for a road game after hosting Miami this past season. So methinks NC St would be a good option for NU, anyway. Not sure the Wolfpack would share our sentiment, though.

I wrote that wrong, NC State hosted Michigan last year. They're likely a road team next year. Not sure how strictly they hold to the home/road switching thing.

I wrote that wrong, NC State hosted Michigan last year. They're likely a road team next year. Not sure how strictly they hold to the home/road switching thing.

Oh, okay, I see now. I'd personally like to see Nebraska play at Notre Dame since there will not be a Gavitt Games contest for NU this season.

To Diallo's credit, he didn't hire an agent so there is the good possibility of a return to the team.

Some fans criticize Self's use of Diallo this season (i.e. he wasn't playing him enough) but I don't know how much that influenced his decision.

Cheick was ineligible for the first part of the season and when he returned to the team, Self already had his rotation established with a fairly deep frontcourt. He reminds me of another Alexander, but two inches taller and in better shape. So that tweet seems to imply he is transferring if he returns for his sophomore year? You have to think he'd instantly become the hottest commodity in the offseason market