2016-17 Husker opponents

AuroranHusker

__________________________________________________________________________________

Secret scrimmage series with Iowa State starts in 2016 at ISU - Oct. 30th

[Exhibition game vs Chadron St. - Monday, Nov. 7]

Sacramento State at home (Sun., Nov. 13: 7 pm on BTN)

University of Mary at home (Tues., Nov. 15)

Louisiana Tech at home (Sat., Nov. 19)

2016 Wooden Legacy Classic: UCLA, New Mexico, Nebraska, CS Northridge, Dayton, Texas A&M, Portland, & Virginia Tech are reportedly the 8 teams in the 2016 field. [butler had previously been mentioned as well.]

DirecTV Wooden Legacy
Thu,  Nov 24 - Dayton - Titan Gym (Fullerton, Calif.) - 7:30 pm on ESPNU
Fri,  Nov 25 - UCLA or Portland - Titan Gym (Fullerton, Calif.) - 2 pm or 4:30 pm on either ESPNU or ESPN, respectively
Sun,  Nov 27 - TBA - Anaheim, Calif. (Honda Center) - 2 pm, 4 pm, *7:30 pm (*title game: ESPN), or 10 pm (all others ESPNU)

B1G/ACC Challenge game at Clemson (Weds, Nov. 30: 8 pm on ESPNU)

South Dakota at home (Sat., Dec. 3)

Creighton at home (Weds, Dec. 7: 8 pm on BTN)

At Kansas  (Sat., Dec. 10: 2:15 pm on ESPN)

Gardner-Webb at home (Sun., Dec. 18)

Southern Univ. at home (Tues., Dec. 20)

Wed,  Dec 28 - Indiana * at Bloomington, Ind.

Sun,  Jan 01 - Maryland * at College Park, Md.

Thu,  Jan 05 - Iowa * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Sun,  Jan 08 - Northwestern * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Sat,  Jan 14 - Michigan * at Ann Arbor, Mich.

Wed,  Jan 18 - Ohio State * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Sat,  Jan 21 - Rutgers * at Piscataway, N.J.

Thu,  Jan 26 - Northwestern * at Evanston, Ill.

Sun,  Jan 29 - Purdue * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Thu,  Feb 02 - Michigan State * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Sun,  Feb 05 - Iowa * at Iowa City, Iowa

Thu,  Feb 09 - Wisconsin * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Tue,  Feb 14 - Penn State * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Feb 18 or Feb 19 - Ohio State * at Columbus, Ohio

Thu,  Feb 23 - Michigan State * at East Lansing, Mich.

Sun,  Feb 26 - Illinois * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Thu,  Mar 02 - Minnesota * at Minneapolis, Minn.

Sun,  Mar 05 - Michigan * Pinnacle Bank Arena

Wed,  Mar 08 - Sun, Mar 12 20th Big Ten Tournament - Washington, D.C. (Verizon Center)

*** 17 games in 2016-17 instead of the 19 NU played at PBA last year. Both numbers include the annual exhibition game. ***

*** It's official now, South Dakota will be on the Huskers schedule in 2016-17. Word from Tim Miles indicates that Nebraska may be willing to travel to South Dakota for a future game, although it wasn't definite that the game would involve USD. More likely to involve an early-season tourney in Sioux Falls... (via John Gaskins interview with Tim Miles in early June 2016).

*** Potential secret scrimmage 2-year series with Iowa State (as per BR tweet on 7/14/16)
Edited by AuroranHusker

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current Kenpom rankings for the participants:

29. Butler

38. UCLA

39. Texas A&M

65. Dayton

112. New Mexico

131. Virginia Tech

137. Nebraska

298. Cal State Northridge

It won't look anything like that when the games are played.

Considering it's a year away, of course.  It will be interesting (and entertaining) to pull up this thread at the time of Wooden Classic.

• 3 months later...

So, the past two years, NU has had home and homes vs. NW, PSU, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland and Illinois. Presumably that means we'll see home and homes vs. MSU, Michigan and OSU. It will be interesting to see who the other two are.

Nebraska has played only once against MSU three straight years. There is no scenario that covers the schedule in a 14-team league from year-to-year. It literally is an ever-evolving year by year situation. No rhyme or reason, seemingly...

So, the past two years, NU has had home and homes vs. NW, PSU, Purdue, Rutgers, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Maryland and Illinois. Presumably that means we'll see home and homes vs. MSU, Michigan and OSU. It will be interesting to see who the other two are.

Nebraska has played only once against MSU three straight years. There is no scenario that covers the schedule in a 14-team league from year-to-year. It literally is an ever-evolving year by year situation. No rhyme or reason, seemingly...

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think it's random scheduling. I think it's simply that they started over when they added Rutgers and Maryland.

I'm not so sure about that. I don't think it's random scheduling. I think it's simply that they started over when they added Rutgers and Maryland.

Of course they started over. 14-team leagues are unwieldy. The 12-team scheduling was perfect, 14 not so much.

Of course they started over. 14-team leagues are unwieldy. The 12-team scheduling was perfect, 14 not so much.

That doesn't mean there's not a pattern to how they're scheduling things.

It's not a pattern that's discernible; is that better? ;)

Not exactly

Based on the current pattern:

ecb86fea02.png

Locks

Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St twice next year.

Indiana, Northwestern, and Rutgers away only

Penn St and Purdue home only

The rest

Out of Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin we play 1 of them Home and Away. The other two teams we play home only.

Out of Maryland and Minnesota we play 1 of them Home and Away. The other team we play Away only.

Not exactly

Based on the current pattern:

ecb86fea02.png

Locks

Michigan, Ohio St, and Michigan St twice next year.

Indiana, Northwestern, and Rutgers away only

Penn St and Purdue home only

The rest

Out of Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin we play 1 of them Home and Away. The other two teams we play home only.

Out of Maryland and Minnesota we play 1 of them Home and Away. The other team we play Away only.

Much like what I've written earlier, this also appears to not be entirely discernible...  :huh:  :P  B)  :unsure:  :blink:  :lol:

Much like what I've written earlier, this also appears to not be entirely discernible...  :huh:  :P  B)  :unsure:  :blink:  :lol:

I know you're somewhat joking, but to put it into words

Every year you play 18 games against 13 teams.

5 Home and Aways (10 games against 5 teams)

8 games either home or away (8 games against 8 teams)

Whatever teams you played home and away one year you won't play home and away the next.

Whatever teams you played home and away one year you won't play home and away the next.

And you'll play h/h with every time 5 times every 13 years...assuming the B1G stays at 14 teams.

And you'll play h/h with every time 5 times every 13 years...assuming the B1G stays at 14 teams.

That would be the smart way to do it, but that's also giving the B1G scheduler quite a bit of credit for thinking ahead.  ;) Hopefully that's how they're doing it.

An even easier way to do it would be to give each team a home and home "rival" - say NU and Iowa, Minny & Wisky, Indiana & Purdue, etc. You'd play your rival home and home every year. Then you'd play 4 of the other 12 teams home and home once every three years. Much simpler formula and better schedule. It's not good that we've only had Iowa at PBA once in 3 years - we should be playing Iowa home and home every year.