Nicholls State Game Thread: But Soon Comes Mr. Night.....

cipsucks

Here's a reason why Dave has to be careful giving out Fs as an overall grade for a game: Because unless it's the last game of the season, there's always a chance we could play a lot worse. Not sure how anyone could grade the team better after this game than after Jacksonville State. The team we faced today had one win on the season. They weren't good. And their best player was slowed by illness or something, according to Kent in the pregame. So, facing a bad team made worse by not having their best player at full strength, the game is within 4 points in the last minute. Our defense in the 2nd half, especially in the closing minutes, stunk. And I liked the way we attacked the basket and forced them to foul but then we missed all kinds of free throws. Just a bad performance today, I'm afraid. On the good side, we did get pretty balanced scoring with at least 4 guys in double figures. I know Gallegos, Talley and Rivers all had about ten. Andre I think finished with 8 and Ubes got whatever he got with free throws at the end. Maybe 18 or 19 points. So, not everything was terrible. But a lot of it sure was.

Didn't watch or listen to the game, but I just checked out the stats. It doesn't look like NU played all that bad offensively, but NU must of really let up on defense in the second half. It also doesn't look like NU rebounded that well considering how small of a team they had. This was probably a tough game to get up for knowing how bad Nicholls st was and the fact that conference play starts in a week. The effort should pick up in a week and hopefully NU can pull off an upset or two. I think NU is capable of it if they can stay healthy. A win is a win. 9-4.

Norm, I have no problem with handing out Fs or As. Games aren't graded on a curve. :) We can have multiple F games. (or better yet, A games.)

To get more than 2-3 wins the remainder of the season, we need at least 4 players each night to step up and have exceptional games. It's not likely, but it's possible. What I'd like to see from this team, is by the end of the year, no one wants to play us.

For me, that would make Year One of the Miles era a success.

Miles said the team's goal for non-con was 10 wins. I'd be curious to find out what the goal is for conference play.

Kent asked him that in the pregame because Miles said he discussed with the seniors about the goals for the year. Postseason play is the goal for this team. When Kent asked him about a specific number of conference wins, Miles said it was a high goal, but it was his job as head coach to get it done.

You gotta like his positivity.

An ugly win would be too complimentary <_< - Earlier this year coach Miles indicated that we were not the type of team that could simply show up and win. Well today was the one game that such an approach would work. We showed up and we won. I wanted soooooo much more, especially with the young fans that were present.

An ugly win would be too complimentary <_< - Earlier this year coach Miles indicated that we were not the type of team that could simply show up and win. Well today was the one game that such an approach would work. We showed up and we won. I wanted soooooo much more, especially with the young fans that were present.

Agreed...a big win would have sold a lot more tickets for the rest of the year.

Reading the comments made me glad I didn't tune in the word pictures yesterday. I opted for warmth and bowls yesterday and after seeing the score thought the entertainment value might have measured up to the Rice/Air Force matchup. Judging from those who were there, it was more like Arizona State/Navy.

Agree cwg, I leaned over to dad as we pulled away a bit early and in almost a giddy voice said we might get to see a bunch of kids play that we hadn't seen play yet. Being 10 of 23 from the FT line is unacceptable at the junior high level, but there we were at one point. Thank goodness we made the last 10.