Phil Beckner named the next assistant coach at Nebraska

hhcmatt

That very well may be the case. However, he is different in every sense. You go from a guy whose #1 trait would be recruiting to a guy who is t as connected in that regard. Usually, you have an opening for a specific skill set. Why did that change?

I'd guess a couple of reasons. 

First, finding a guy with high level Div 1 recruting experience in July is going to be tough. If it was easy, Bobby Hurley wouldn't have sniped away Burno.

Second, I would speculate that Miles wanted someone he at least knew first hand which further limits your list of candidates. 

I think concerns about his ability to recruit to this level are completely justified because he simply hasn't been at this level.

That very well may be the case. However, he is different in every sense. You go from a guy whose #1 trait would be recruiting to a guy who is t as connected in that regard. Usually, you have an opening for a specific skill set. Why did that change?

I'd guess a couple of reasons.

First, finding a guy with high level Div 1 recruting experience in July is going to be tough. If it was easy, Bobby Hurley wouldn't have sniped away Burno.

Second, I would speculate that Miles wanted someone he at least knew first hand which further limits your list of candidates.

I think concerns about his ability to recruit to this level are completely justified because he simply hasn't been at this level.

It's perfectly fine to question the recruiting aspect of the hire since Beckner is still unproven. However, how much good does it do to land top recruits if they are brought into a system where the team chemistry and especially the coaching chemistry is off? The chemistry was already off last year and this year we are starting new and trying to push past that. I've heard some things. That's it. I obviously can't say for sure that Burno being around as coach would've turned out to be a bad thing. But I've heard enough to know to not be as down on the Burno departure/Beckner hire as some.

I especially like #59-61. Read them and see if he nailed it. If there has been a constant with regard to our struggles in the Doc/Miles eras, it has been poor shooting.

Wow. Now that's an impressive list.

This guy knows what he is doing. And he has the right priorities.

I can see why Tim Miles and others who know him well are very high on him.

How would Burno have hurt coaching chemistry if he stayed?

I don't know that he would have but it could've happened had he stayed. Beckner could turn out sour for all I know. I was given specific examples of things that went on during his short tenure here, during workouts that make me less sad that Burno was stolen from us. That's it. I don't know specifically how he would've hurt chemistry, just info that leads me to believe it was likely.

I guess I trust the hire.  But I certainly wasn't excited by it.  I do believe player development is one of the highest priorities, and from what I have read, this may be Coach Beckner's number one trait.  Perhaps he is similar to Coach Smith in that regard.  I assume he is going to concentrate on the guards, and it sounds as if he has a fairly strong background with that back court and will complement Coach Hunter, who concentrates on the bigs.  It also sounds as if he has a background with Coach Miles, and hopefully that adds up to good program chemistry.

My concern stems from what has been, and remains Husker basketball number one issue.  That my friends is recruiting.  I truly believe the incoming class is one of the best we have had in years.  I also believe Mr. Roby will be a winner for us as well.  We have started to gain momentum.  I really thought Burno was a match made in heaven.  Coach Beckner has not recruited at this level; and add to that, he has been away from recruiting and perhaps has lost contact with many of the contacts that he did have.

One again, I trust the hire and hope that my concern is unfounded.  I hope that we latched on to a rising star and Coach Beckner will help take us to the NCAA elite.  But hey, I can't help that the concern popped up.

Why have we decided that recruiting is such a weakness for this guy, though?

Yeah I'm confused....why are people assuming this guy cant recruit? 

I guess maybe it's equal to the people who are trying to prove that he can recruit. Lots of unknowns. When there is uncertainty, there is often doubt that comes along with it.

I especially like #59-61.  Read them and see if he nailed it.   If there has been a constant with regard to our struggles in the Doc/Miles eras, it has been poor shooting.  

How about #9?  "One bad apple can spoil the bunch, chemistry is vital"

Or #48?  "Players are around each other all the time (practice, class, road trips, roommates) they have to like each other and respect each other"

I think these were significant issues this last season.

"You're only saying [no one can survive the fire swamp] because no one ever has."

Because he never has recruited at this level, people are assuming he can't recruit at this level.  It's a non-sequitur.  It doesn't necessarily follow. 

A better way of describing it is that it's an unknown.  We have no idea what kind of a recruiter he might be at this level because we have no track record of recruiting at this level to go by.

I guess maybe it's equal to the people who are trying to prove that he can recruit. Lots of unknowns. When there is uncertainty, there is often doubt that comes along with it.

Fair enough.  I'm willing to wait a bit before making my mind up I guess.

Spot on.

FWIW he just spent the last month travelling internationally to basketball camps with a NBA star who was putting on training camps for Adidas. 

It really seems like a lot of the signs point to him being able to successfully pull in high level players here.

"You're only saying [no one can survive the fire swamp] because no one ever has."

Because he never has recruited at this level, people are assuming he can't recruit at this level.  It's a non-sequitur.  It doesn't necessarily follow. 

A better way of describing it is that it's an unknown.  We have no idea what kind of a recruiter he might be at this level because we have no track record of recruiting at this level to go by.

inconceivable_princess_bride.gif

Not to be "that guy" but I think the above statement is a tautology.

It's almost like saying, "When there is darkness, there is often a lack of light that comes along with it."

I think I know what you mean, but it just struck me as funny the way you phrased it.

So, thanks for making me laugh.  :D

Again, when addressing a need do you hire on a known or a maybe? Did you hire him to be a recruiter, if so, wouldn't you have a resume that speaks to that ability?

Well ...

WE, the FANS. might have doubt (a/k/a uncertainty) due to lack of information.

Coach MILES, in all probability, is not so encumbered by doubt because he probably possesses more information than we have about his new protégé's recruiting ability.