2016 PF Wenyan Gabriel -> Kentucky

Just tried to find video on Youtube.  Found some game film from this last season.  I'm guessing he's the tall guy, #32 in white.

Didn't watch much of the game so this isn't any in-depth analysis.  Looks a bit raw.  Not taking the game over by any stretch.  But he's light-years ahead as a junior compared to where Matt Atewe was as a senior.  He's athletic.  He seems to understand the game better than Atewe.  Atewe always just seemed lost out there; this kid makes some decent passes from the high post, chased down some loose balls, altered and blocked a couple of shots, etc.

But, again, he didn't take over the game.  He was clearly a role player among the guys on his team.  JMOO.

Adam Finkelstein @AdamFinkelstein

Another day another offer for Wenyen Gabriel. The ESPN 100 forward added Nebraska last night.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207402/wenyen-Gabriel

If we are lucky enough to land Gabriel....add him with Arop and Roby and that will equal one Almeida on the court. 

Adam Finkelstein @AdamFinkelstein

Another day another offer for Wenyen Gabriel. The ESPN 100 forward added Nebraska last night.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207402/wenyen-Gabriel

If we are lucky enough to land Gabriel....add him with Arop and Roby and that will equal one Almeida on the court. 

Nothing equates to the Great Ship Almeida. ;)

Looks like another one of those long & lean prospects that Miles is so fond of... Nebrasketball will be the all-name team before long!  Names bandied about as 2016 ('17*) NU prospects include Deep Gak* (?), Agueth Arop*, Wenyen Gabriel, Hasahn French*, Barret Benson, Kwe Parker, Mitch Lightfoot, Timmel ('Melo') Eggleston and on & on...

I'm not going to get excited about a kid when we're the 18th offer. Just don't see us beating out UConn, Maryland, Virginia etc. when we're late to the party. Sorry, I woke up grumpy this morning.

...or another possibility is that Coach Burno has been on him for years.  It is all about the relationships...

I'm not going to get excited about a kid when we're the 18th offer. Just don't see us beating out UConn, Maryland, Virginia etc. when we're late to the party. Sorry, I woke up grumpy this morning.

...or another possibility is that Coach Burno has been on him for years.  It is all about the relationships...

CWG I like your thought much more.  Chuck, I am sorry you are grumpy, remember it is Friday and just a few hours from adult beverages of choice.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure we missed out on him because we didn't know how to spell his first name!  ;)

Certainly. Or, to quote Mars Blackmon: it's gotta be the shoes... ;)

Or the large manilla envelope that was sent to his mom yesterday.  Hope it doesn't rip open like the other time at Kentucky. ;)

• 1 year later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to 2016 PF Wenyan Gabriel -> Kentucky