Kathleen Doyle was at one time all "N"

Row6Seat10

Although it's a year away I'm anxious to see Kathleen in Husker red! We're losing two starting guards in Rachel and Kyndal so the there's a good chance the three new freshmen guards next November will get a lot of minutes. Mi'Cole and Hannah too are having great senior campaigns!

Yes, the same sort of issues with new bigs this year, will be transferred to "newbie" guards next year. We'll really be young overall next year. But there's some excellent young talent coming up the ladder.

Maddie, Nat, Jazz, Emily, and Esther will get an early workout in 2015-2016. There will be some extensive sorting out next year, and beyond, at the guard/wing positions. Bigs in 2017?

• 4 weeks later...

Girls basketball notes: Nebraska-bound Kathleen Doyle leads Benet  

Nic Summers / Naperville Sun
Benet's Kathleen Doyle shoots during a win over Fenwick last month.

Matt Le Cren, Naperville Sun

3:39 pm, January 12, 2016

It happens every now and then.

Whenever Benet coach Joe Kilbride senses the offense is getting sluggish, he resorts to his nuclear option.

"Kathleen, now!" Kilbride calls out.

That's the signal for senior point guard Kathleen Doyle to attack.

Doyle will immediately drive to the basket, which inevitably results in her either scoring or drawing a foul. The effect is like igniting the afterburners on a fighter jet.

"We've got some plays that we run that try to give her an opportunity," said Kilbride, who is reluctant to get into specifics. "We'll sometimes run those when we think she's got the right matchup or we just need to get something going."

The reality is the 5-foot-10 Doyle almost always has a good matchup as there are few guards in that state who can stop her one-on-one. And while Doyle has a pass-first mentality, she beams when the subject of the special signal is raised.

"Whenever we need a basket, I think my team kind of looks at me and I just try to do what I can," Doyle said. "You kind of have to feel the game out and if we haven't scored in a while, we need to find a way to score, so I think it's more like a heads-up for me to be aggressive, make sure I'm still in the flow of the offense."

Ironically, Doyle has never been more in the flow of the offense, or a bigger part of it, than she is now. With the graduation of premier shooters Emily Eshoo and Emily Schramek, the Nebraska-bound Doyle leads the team in both scoring (15 points per game) and assists (4.1) while playing great defense.

"She's a special player," Kilbride said. "She's got such a feel for the game and kind of what we need from her on a given night and sort of fills those holes.

"She's so versatile that she's able to score when you really need her to and facilitate others when you don't. It makes me kind of seem like I know what I'm doing."

While she has quarterbacked the offense since freshman year, Doyle has not been the unquestioned leader until this winter. She's responded by stepping up her game and making those around her better.

"I love being the leader," Doyle said. "It's an exciting opportunity to try to help these younger players on the team grow. It's just going to help our team's success so it's just a lot of fun to try to help them out."

The Redwings (16-2) are just behind their pace of last year, when they went 34-3 and won the state title.

The reason, Doyle said, is simple.

"Keeping everybody involved is really important with team chemistry and the rhythm of the game," Doyle said. "So I think that's really important to our success."

It is clear to everyone that Doyle is important to that success.

"She just has a will to win," Oak Park-River Forest coach J.P. Coughlin said. "She's phenomenal and I love watching her play. She's my early pick for Ms. Basketball."

Subway Classic: Benet and Naperville North will both be in action this weekend at the 26th annual Subway Classic at Willowbrook.

Benet has two intriguing matchups. The Redwings will face Fort Wayne Homestead (16-0), the reigning Indiana 4A state champion which is ranked 13th in the nation by USA Today, at 6:30 p.m. Saturday. Then comes a rematch of last year's state semifinal against Homewood-Flossmoor at 8 p.m. Monday.

• 1 month later...