Lee B

bball23

Unlike alot of the Rah-Rah journalism you get regarding the U, Barfknecht I've always thought has given a fair and unvarnished report. As a beat writer covering the entire conference, I'm glad he's not just a shill for the Big Red. A disclaimer though, he and I studied under the same journalism teacher in Superior.

Two things:

1. I've never really been able to stand Lee's style or his writing. I think there are way too many times where he takes what I consider to be an old style approach to his writing, where once his opinion turns sour on someone, he hammers away at it. I also think he brings opinion into many pieces that are meant to be/should be reporting. Hands down, I've always felt he's the worst writer in the sports department at the World Herald.

2. That being said, the part I've enjoyed is actually seeing the hourly chat he does. Not because he doesn't carry much of the same bias into that, but his temperment seems to be better, and every once in a while there is actually a nugget there that you might not have seen elsewhere.

Overall, I'll read the LJS before reading the OWH.

LB is an egotistical writer that does not know when to dial back on his biases. It bothers me though that too many people hang on every word that he & Shatel write. I don't even get the OWH anymore. With forums like this on HHC, you get the opinions of real fans (both good & bad opinions). Those guys are people who are trying to hang onto the good ol' days when everyone cared what they wrote. Since we don't anymore, they find they have to get attention in some way.