Will TP succeed as a Pro

Huskerpapa

They say TP will enter the draft as a wing. Why isn't TP being considered for a SG position? Does he lack speed to defend the 2? He's got great height at 6'6 (average is around 6'5 for SG)

I think you're putting too much emphasis on a label. Unless you know something I'm unaware of and they actually tag these players with a positional name prior to the draft. Guards, forwards, and centers are what players used to be labeled as. Now it's more point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, center. But we hear a lot about there not being any more true centers in the college game. Then there's the numerical labeling system, giving each position a number 1 through 5. 1 is PG, 2 is SG, 3 is SF, 4 is PF, and 5 is C. When i hear "wing" that's either the 2 or the 3. So a shooting guard is a wing and a wing is a shooting guard. Or a wing can be a small forward. Some coaches don't even label positions or just ignore them. I think Coach K is one of those coaches. It's all labeling and doesn't have anything to do with Petteway's quickness or being able to guard a particular position. It's all about matchups on the court and not about players guarding the equivalently labeled player on the other team.

Doesn't it seem like TP could be a Matt Barnes type player?

It's possible, but that means he'd have to shoot as well as Matt Barnes

Barnes is a 33.8% career 3pt shooter and has never scored over 1000 pts in a season. I'd suspect that TP's scoring might become more efficient when he's not on the ball nor anything more than a secondary scorer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2465240-nba-combine-2015-results-day-1-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-19

Petteway has a larger wingspan (3/4" difference) than the 7'1 Kaminsky, despite a 5" height difference

but petteway did poorly on the vertical tests

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2465240-nba-combine-2015-results-day-1-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-des-art-top-19

Petteway has a larger wingspan (3/4" difference) than the 7'1 Kaminsky, despite a 5" height difference

Petteway is 6'-4 3/4" (w/o shoes)

Kaminsky is 6'-11 3/4" (w/o shoes)

Petteway wing-span 6'-11 1/4"

Kaminsky wing-span 6'-11"

meant to say 7" difference

meant to say 7" difference

It's a pretty impressive physical difference to have a 7" height differential and yet have a similar wing-span.

Barnes is a 33.8% career 3pt shooter and has never scored over 1000 pts in a season. I'd suspect that TP's scoring might become more efficient when he's not on the ball nor anything more than a secondary scorer.

Who has been scoring over a thousand points in a season?!?!

Well other than Pete Maravich? :unsure:                        ;)

Who has been scoring over a thousand points in a season?!?!

Well other than Pete Maravich? :unsure:                        ;)

Those are NBA numbers

A 31 inch vertical is not a poor measurement. Strictly by the numbers it might be "average" for TP's position but there are lots of players in the NBA who have good athleticism but aren't leapers. Demarre Carroll and Jae Crowder immediately come to mind. IIRC Doug had a 36 inch vert, but he'd probably trade the 5 inches for more agility/explosiveness. When you watch TP play you can tell the guy has plenty of athleticism to play in the NBA

He measured at 25 in the standing vertical...that's shitty for his position.

Wow, is that accurate? That's really bad. I wonder if that's just something he hasn't worked on (form, how to do a standing vert)? Cause there's been plenty of blocked shots and dunks he's had where he demonstrating NBA athleticism. There were a couple missed dunks he's had where I was blown away he was even gonna try to dunk it, thing most couldn't even attempt to do.

Edit: after looking at a lot of those standing verts, I guess I wouldn't say TP's was "bad" per say... There's quite a few dudes down there. Pat Connaughton - wow white boy keep flying!

He measured at 25 in the standing vertical...that's shitty for his position.

Wow, is that accurate? That's really bad. I wonder if that's just something he hasn't worked on (form, how to do a standing vert)? Cause there's been plenty of blocked shots and dunks he's had where he demonstrating NBA athleticism. There were a couple missed dunks he's had where I was blown away he was even gonna try to dunk it, thing most couldn't even attempt to do.
According to the link above, yes.

Standing vert was 25. The 31 was the one with a couple steps allowed.

In trying to get a little perspective on Petteway's chances for success, I ran across some of the results for the combine that may be helpful.  Here's a link:   http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2015-NBA-Combine-Athletic-Testing-Analysis-4981

Trying to pinpoint a player's athleticism based on their combine testing is akin to trying to get a feel for their basketball IQ by watching them play one-on-zero –it simply doesn't make all that much sense. It does help us get a very general idea of where a player is at in terms of physical conditioning and strength, which often speaks to their work ethic, but rarely sheds much light on what it really aims to portray.

Unlike the NFL combine, all parties involved realize that few people put much stock in these results..........In basketball, where anticipation and coordination play major roles in how players perform on the court, combine numbers will always take a back seat to how a player uses the tools it aims to measure in actual games. 

I think its important to remember that the 50 or so players evaluated are all high-level players, deemed worthy of being 'invited' to the combine.

True, Terran's verticals were not the best, at 31" & 25";  in fact he was among the 5 worst in both tests.   But in the running vertical, three others also measured at 31", and four were lower.  In the standing vertical, four others measured less than 25".

Lee Barfknecht has a good article in todays OWH about the combine, where he mentions that individual team workouts following the combine are even more important in determining who gets picked and who doesn't.

'Petteway's NBA auditions could land him a second-round draft spot, ex-husker Strickland says'

Terran Petteway has turned heads at the NBA combine. Now he needs to further boost his stock in team workouts, says Erick Strickland, another ex-Husker who played nine seasons in the NBA and has helped coach Petteway at the combine.

Erick Strickland came away impressed with Terran's game in all facets. And E-Strick should know, since he wasn't drafted but turned into a 9-yr NBA vet by the time it was all said & done.  Terran could turn into a poor man's Trevor Ariza, who just so happened to have a big part in Houston clinching a 7-game series victory over the Clip(ped) team.

i don't think his stock has changed much from the combine. he was a mid-late second round pick at best before the combine, and that's probably where it stands now.

I agree with this.  His combine performance did little to improve his status although it seems like a lot other guys did improve their status at the combine which could serve to hurt Petteway's draft chances if he was jumped by guys that were below him. 

While getting drafted might help Nebraska recruiting, it is usually better for guys drafted at the end of the second round to not be drafted at all.  That allows them to pick their own location where they may have a better chance of making a roster.