Miles/Petteway presser today at 2pm

hhcmatt

Just rewatching the presser at about the 19:40 mark

Miles state "this is going to be a clean sweep for us" in terms of team staff

- Kim Whitemore resigned...so there will be a new Office Secretary 

- "Our video guy is new...both OPs guys are gonna be new"

If I'm hearing that correctly (and I might not be) then Gregory Eaton, Teddy Owens, and Brett Sapp are moving from their positions. Eaton and Tim Wilson are currently the only people from Miles' original staff.

If I'm hearing that correctly (and I might not be) then Gregory Eaton, Teddy Owens, and Brett Sapp are moving from their positions. Eaton and Tim Wilson are currently the only people from Miles' original staff.

OK, Dimes.  Now you've gone and done it.  I was demoralized, and now I'm suicidal.   I can get over Harriman and the players leaving, but to lose Kim??  That one's going to hurt.  

Why is everybody leaving?

The amount of turnover this year is approximately the same as last year...the only difference is we're coming off a losing record instead of a winning one.

And here is the other thing...I don't know that those guys won't actually be here next year. Since there has been no formal announcement that they've taken a new job and/or leaving, and there would be, it's probably safe to assume that they haven't actually left at this time and perhaps are just looking around. Also, unless any of the staff can start reeling in prospects, it's probable that they will not land our open assistant job.  Thus, if any of those guys want to move up on the food chain, and they probably do, they'll have to cut their teeth somewhere else. It would also seem they don't have to be sneaky about it.

I've personally had people that I've worked for/reported to that I would feel comfortable talking about moving on somewhere else or that I wouldn't say a single word because I would be afraid of being fired. It would seem Miles has the type of relationship with his staff where people aren't afraid to talk about where they want to go even if that means leaving the program. I would suspect that Miles and his staff probably help these guys when they're looking for new opportunities...what's the point of having someone on staff who isn't happy about their career?

Would be interested if anyone can confirm Eaton and Owens leaving.  That frankly would bother me more than Harriman as to me it is more indicative of some underlying behind the scenes problem.  Harriman leaving can be explained as career advancement.   Harder to buy that if you have wholesale changes in staff like this.

Not necessarily. It's pretty rare that a high-major school moves an ops guy straight to assistant coach (it happens, but not often). It'd be the same explanation as Harriman -- career advancement. Most guys working in the field actually want to coach, and in a high-major place especially, that usually means having to leave to have the opportunity to come back. I wouldn't worry too much about behind the scenes issues if/when they move on...just means we had good staff that had a coaching opportunity that wasn't available here (at least not if we want assistants who have good recruiting ties, which seems to be the prevailing wisdom around these parts anyway).

Would be interested if anyone can confirm Eaton and Owens leaving.  That frankly would bother me more than Harriman as to me it is more indicative of some underlying behind the scenes problem.  Harriman leaving can be explained as career advancement.   Harder to buy that if you have wholesale changes in staff like this.

I can't confirm or deny.  But I can say that guys who aspire to be head coaches can't get there by staying put, usually.

There's a certain kind of experience required in order to land a full-on assistant position at a place like Nebraska and you don't typically move from DOBO to AC.  So, in order to get from one spot to the next, it generally requires advancing the way all of the coaches who are here did before they got here.

Name one person from our Men's basketball program who has gone from DOBO, video, or OPs who has been promoted to assistant coach here because I can't.

Why is everybody leaving?

The amount of turnover this year is approximately the same as last year...the only difference is we're coming off a losing record instead of a winning one.

And here is the other thing...I don't know that those guys won't actually be here next year. Since there has been no formal announcement that they've taken a new job and/or leaving, and there would be, it's probably safe to assume that they haven't actually left at this time and perhaps are just looking around.................

It all seems quite cryptic!   :ph34r:

BTW, here is some news tweeted yesterday about our newest recruit!   (have to wait a bit I'm afraid)

Aggressive Pooper!!!    :lol:

And here is the other thing...I don't know that those guys won't actually be here next year. Since there has been no formal announcement that they've taken a new job and/or leaving, and there would be, it's probably safe to assume that they haven't actually left at this time and perhaps are just looking around.................

It all seems quite cryptic!   :ph34r:

I'm not trying to be cryptic...I'm trying to interpret what Miles said in what was probably just a throwaway stream-of-consciousness line from him anyway. Thus, I will be equally unsurprised if 0, 1, 2, or 3 of the support staff coaches are back for next year because this is how college basketball works. Quite honestly, I'm a lot more surprised about some of the shock and concern reactions I'm seeing because this is the norm and not the exception for all of college basketball.

Apologies Dimes!  I worded this poorly.  What I meant to say was Miles presser was cryptic, rather than implying it was you.

As you clearly noted previously in the thread (Post #53): 

At this point no one seems to know how to interpret that portion of his press conference and I think you may be correct that it is more of a throw-away line than anything else.

I thought it was interesting when I later happened to see the Tweet from Teddy Owens.

Name one person from our Men's basketball program who has gone from DOBO, video, or OPs who has been promoted to assistant coach here because I can't.

No disputing the point really - but FWIW MIke Broughton was the Dir of Basketball Ops for Collier initially and then became a regular assistant (switched jobs at the time with Soupy Campbell who went from being an assistant to the operations job).

No disputing the point really - but FWIW MIke Broughton was the Dir of Basketball Ops for Collier initially and then became a regular assistant (switched jobs at the time with Soupy Campbell who went from being an assistant to the operations job).

Chris Croft is another.

Ops and video guys leave all the time. That wouldn't be an indication of anything. A bigger indication of trouble would be randomly promoting one of your woefully unqualified ops/video guys to assistant.

Ops and video guys leave all the time. That wouldn't be an indication of anything. A bigger indication of trouble would be randomly promoting one of your woefully unqualified ops/video guys to assistant.

I hear one of the kids that sweeps the floor is up for an assistant coaching job...but I guess you can put that up there with all the rumors I've heard the past few days.

• 1 month later...