Harriman...

ShortDust

I was a huge Chris Harriman fan but gotta say, I lost a little respect for him with this move.  I understand wanting to improve your position in coaching and make more money but after everything this university and state did for his family and fundraise, I thought he might feel a little more loyalty.  I guess the dad in would realize that Avery has friends and all his doctors here and a state that fully supports him and to up-root them again just seems wrong a bit selfish.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to make more money and get a better position but something about this one just doesn't set well with me.

I don't blame him for making the move one iota really.  Being an assistant coach in college basketball and moving up the ranks to head coach is a brutal grind.  The competition is so incredibly fierce, one sometimes wonders why coaches would want to get involved in the first place.

There was an article a year or so back (in Grantland, maybe) about what it takes to be an assistant coach.  Opens one's eyes a bit after reading it.

So, for coach Harriman to get the opportunity to be associate head coach - particularly at a place like UNM you just don't pass that opportunity up.  No matter HOW loyal and gracious the fans have been to him and his family.  Keep in mind that the Harrimans had the same bond with the players and fans at Saint Louis too, and ONLY made the move to Nebraska because Avery was in remission at the time.  We were excited for them at the time.  We should be excited for them now.

I was a huge Chris Harriman fan but gotta say, I lost a little respect for him with this move.  I understand wanting to improve your position in coaching and make more money but after everything this university and state did for his family and fundraise, I thought he might feel a little more loyalty.  I guess the dad in would realize that Avery has friends and all his doctors here and a state that fully supports him and to up-root them again just seems wrong a bit selfish.  I don't blame anyone for wanting to make more money and get a better position but something about this one just doesn't set well with me.

For all we know, the decision could have been more than just about basketball.

I hear ya and I'm not going to lecture how one should feel, but I think loyalty should be a two way street.  If we support him and truly want what is best for him and his family, then I for one am happy for them and thank them for their time spent here at Nebraska. 

I wish them well and will be praying for Avery.  Now let's go get a bulldog recruiter. 

I want a coach with very good recruiting connections. Harriman, while I like him, didn't deliver any great players. The great Aussie's went elsewhere. Humphries and Simmons weren't coming and Miles when he started wasn't keen on transfers or International guys.

Did Harriman recruit McVeigh and Pinder?

I want a coach with very good recruiting connections. Harriman, while I like him, didn't deliver any great players. The great Aussie's went elsewhere. Humphries and Simmons weren't coming and Miles when he started wasn't keen on transfers or International guys.

Did Harriman recruit McVeigh and Pinder?

Yep, we'll find out if they're "great" in red. Tai's his guy, too.

• 3 months later...