Harriman...

ShortDust

Oh yea Ben Johnson.. I remember now. Losing assistant coaches to gigs that have a better chance at becoming a head coach or leaving to be a head coach seems viable. I'm thinking he looks to hire someone with west coast ties and an offensive mind. Sucks to see him go, but we have to wait and see what he brings in.

He got a raise and a title of Associate Head Coach. Really, New Mexico can provide more coin than Nebraska, really?

This sucks. But after having about 30 minutes to digest, this has to be more about opportunity than money, right? Nebraska can obviously match and exceed any offer out there but Harriman obviously sees some career benefit to doing this. And that's what it's all about. This is what college coaching is. Coaches work their way up the ladder. They move at calculated, opportune times to get in position to have their chance. Harriman will be a head coach. He'll only be at New Mexico a season or two. It's somebody else's turn for a chance at assistant now. We will see. I don't see this as telling for Miles at all in terms of his career here. We've had several move in and out for Miles at Nebraska so far. He'll find another good one.

I'll give out a Norm exercise here. When thinking of the assistants Miles has currently, and to make yourself feel better about them...just think about who Doc had.

Chris is a great guy and got us in the door in Australia. He is a very valuable asset and eventually was going to leave...it was just a matter of when. He'll be missed. 

However, if Miles thought anything was missing from his staff last year, now is his chance to find someone to fill that role.

I'll give out a Norm exercise here. When thinking of the assistants Miles has currently, and to make yourself feel better about them...just think about who Doc had.

At least Mathews and Benford left for major programs (UCLA and Marquette).  

Losing Harriman to a mid-major school, after all the support his family has received here, is a bit troubling.  You have to wonder if he and Miles had some differences.

At least Mathews and Benford left for major programs (UCLA and Marquette).  

Losing Harriman to a mid-major school, after all the support his family has received here, is a bit troubling.  You have to wonder if he and Miles had some differences.

He's getting more money, will be the defacto #2, and New Mexico has a good basketball program. If his goal is to become a HC, does staying here seem like the right move?

Chris is a great guy and got us in the door in Australia. He is a very valuable asset and eventually was going to leave...it was just a matter of when. He'll be missed. 

However, if Miles thought anything was missing from his staff last year, now is his chance to find someone to fill that role.

Wonder which direction Miles & Co. will head to finding the replacement on the staff... recruiting & offensive execution would seem to be high on the list for assets of this hire.

And, FWIW, Chris Harriman will be a head coach sooner or later. It's usually best to gather a wealth of knowledge in a variety of situations.

I have had a few minutes to digest this...and I am still pi**ed.  Can I understand the move...sure.  But it doesn't make me feel any better.  It simply feels as if this year (continuing into the off season) has been one negative after another.  I am attempting to keep my rose colored glasses on, but it is tough.  It seems to me that every staff needs an experienced X & O assistant and two assistants that can recruit ones butt off and can teach positions. 

My hope is that we can bring in a top notch (and I mean top notch) recruiter.  We need jimmy's and joe's.  Let's see if we can start making lemonaide out of the lemons that seem to be popping up.

I will also bring up the elephant in the room.  That is Avery Harriman.  It is my hope that Avery has finally beaten cancer.  That young man (and his family) has been an inspiration to many!!!  I hate to see Coach Harriman and his family leave, and despite my angst, I certainly wish them well.