Fred Hoiberg to have open-heart surgery.

Red Don

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/iowa-st-coach-fred-hoiberg-heart-valve-replaced-161656645--ncaab.html

He has had issues for awhile.  Interestingly, he stopped wearing ties this year because they ended up making him dizzy.  I am more shocked that he waited to have the surgery. 

FH's situation is different from a person that suddenly learns he has a massive health problem. He has obviously dealt with the knowledge of his valve having a "leak" for years. He has had this operation before...

I understand the desire to put it off so as to complete his season. The "recovery time" is not as stated in the article. Your chest is sawn in two and the rib cage spread so the heart can be accessed. You may get physician permission to start going back to work in 4 to 6 weeks...but your full "recovery time" is more like 6 months. Your ribcage is not even sufficiently healed so they think you should drive for quite a while...as they literally twist-tie your ribcage back together and the bones need to be close to fully healed, so an emergency quick action does not cause breakage.

FH has obviously known his first operation was less than a perfect success...and he has seen this coming up on him in the rearview mirror for a long time...as opposed to a situation where there is a sudden event and the time must be immediate.

The older you are, the harder the recovery becomes. I wish FH nothing but the best results/recovery/etc. He can't be looking forward to going through this...again! 

Pure speculation, but it sounds like he may have had an organic (pig) valve replacement the first time so that he wouldn't have to use anticoagulents for the rest of his life. These wear out in a decade or so. This time it sounds like he is getting a non organic (mechanical) replacement and will be on permanent blood thinners. Either way, this is a serious procedure, but not the same as a heart attack. Hopefully he will be able to resume coaching by next fall. I'm sure all basketball fans wish him the best.

Pure speculation, but it sounds like he may have had an organic (pig) valve replacement the first time so that he wouldn't have to use anticoagulents for the rest of his life. These wear out in a decade or so. This time it sounds like he is getting a non organic (mechanical) replacement and will be on permanent blood thinners. Either way, this is a serious procedure, but not the same as a heart attack. Hopefully he will be able to resume coaching by next fall. I'm sure all basketball fans wish him the best.

Very true, sage jimmykc