Fuller & Hawkins

Husker4Life

After 7 games Fuller is averaging 27.1 points per game. Sun Prairie has a 7-1 record so do not know what he did in his last game.

Rowlett Texas has a record of 13-0 and Hawkins after 11 games has a 15.8 scoring average. He has hit 55% of his twos and 41 % from three. He must have a good group playing with him since he is second in scoring on the team.

Overall I believe we have two very good perimeter players coming in according to their results so far. Together with Webster and Biggs things are looking up for Nebraska basketball.

I think Fuller has a great chance at starting at the 3 or 4 next year. It may depend on how Miles finishes out this class and how much Fuller grows (Supposedly not done growing). I'm not sure NU has ever had a player like Fuller. Fuller and Webster could be quite the duo for the next 4 years. I'm not sure about Hawkins though. I could see him redshirting.

Hawkins' teammate Carroll is scoring more but isn't scoring from beyond the arc basically at all. Both are about 6'6". My guess is that the Carroll kid is more of an inside player and Hawkins is the perimeter player. Carroll is going to Okie State. Both players were recruited by both schools, so Okie State offered both kids and so did we. I think we got the kid who translates to a college guard and they got the kid who translates to a small forward. I don't know that you can read much into the fact that the Carroll kid is averaging in the 20s and Hawkins only ~15. There could be a lot of reasons for that. Kamdy, I think, posted about Hawkins recovering from an injury, but Carroll was the higher scoring of the two last year as well.

Hawkins is shooting over 40% from three and has a nice stroke with a quick release. Other than him being young, I'm not sure why you redshirt him. What do we lack most on this team this year? Shooters. Do we have anybody hitting better than 40% from three right now? Heck, we have kids playing now who won't even take an open three look. If he was a skinny big who needed to bulk up and develop a little bit, I could understand thinking he needed to redshirt, but this is probably a kid who can help us out next year. Why not play him?

Hawkins did have an injury that prevented him from practicing before the season and missing the first two games. He's broken 20 points 3 out of the last 4 games. Carroll does average more but he also attempts more shots. Like Norm stated Carroll is playing the post and they probably run through him to open up the outside games for the other two in Hawkins and Luke. I did read recently though that Hawkins does play the 4 often due to his height, and lack of anyone elses on the teams besides Carroll. This could be great experience for him as a combo guard to post up a smaller guard. Definitely will be a nice asset to have going forward.

Not saying Hawkins won't be good, but NU should be pretty stacked at the 1 and 2 next year with parker, gallegos, webster, peltz, and Biggs.

IIRC, Hawkins was tabbed as a possible PG when we were recruiting him. Which suggests to me the kid must have pretty good handles. He's also 6-5 or 6-6. He could play either the 2 or the 3 (which are pretty similar positions anymore) and he could potentially play the 1 as well for all I know. Knowing that, though, you'd have to say that opens up a lot more potential room in the lineup for a kid who has that versatility, if you will. In those THREE spots, then, you figure we'll see some combination of Parker, Biggs, Gallegos, Webster, Hawkins, Fuller, Shields and Rivers (the latter 3 of whom could also potentially see time at the 4). I wouldn't necessarily say we'll be so stacked at those 3 spots that there won't be room for a kid who can shoot the rock.