Terran Petteway's Mother has passed away.

Agree 100% with Norm about cancer.  Not that I want this to become some sort of self-help grief session, but there is just a unique feeling one gets at the loss of a parent.  And it does take awhile before you "get over it," but never completely.  I remember waking up every day and thinking about it.  I have described it as similar to background music.  You might not be directly focusing on it, but you are aware it's there.  Or like a web page that opens every morning, and even as you perform other functions, that page is always open, like an app running in the background.  It took a long time before I wasn't noticing this on a daily basis.  I can remember the first time I realized that I had gone a whole day without thinking about my dad.  It was a weird sensation of both guilt and relief. Good luck to Terran.

My grandfather, whom I was very close with, died  right before I had to take my final exams during my 1L year of law school.  I had to fly home to attend the funeral and then took my first exam the day after I returned back to school (I was only gone 3 days).  I requested my first exam be pushed back 1-2 days to get my mind clear and was denied.   It is a wonder I passed that test.

I see Terran going through this and hope the University gives him enough time to mentally prepare for his finals.  

Who the hell wouldn't give you extra time to take a test after your grandpa died?

That seems pretty heartless.

My grandfather, whom I was very close with, died  right before I had to take my final exams during my 1L year of law school.  I had to fly home to attend the funeral and then took my first exam the day after I returned back to school (I was only gone 3 days).  I requested my first exam be pushed back 1-2 days to get my mind clear and was denied.   It is a wonder I passed that test.

I see Terran going through this and hope the University gives him enough time to mentally prepare for his finals.

Who the hell wouldn't give you extra time to take a test after your grandpa died?

Heartless? Law school? Seems about right.

Heartless? Law school? Seems about right.

Pretty much that was status quo.  Unless you were comatose, you were expected to be at the final.  I know one student who actually took his final in a hospital bed.

Here is the obituary.

http://www.galvnews.com/obituaries/article_fd8069be-e06a-11e4-bdf5-6f21d84fa9da.html

It is nice they acknowledged the Cornhuskers.  The coaches attending just shows the regard they have for Terran.  Interestingly, all of the (male) children, and all the grandchildren (but one) have names starting with 'T.'

With a special and heartfelt thanks to Joseph and Rhonda Hockless, Coach Tim Miles and family, Coach Chris Harriman and family, Coach Kenya Hunter and family, Coach Craig Smith and family and the entire Nebraska Cornhusker family.

Players attending the funeral, according to Brian Rosenthal, will be Leslee Smith, David Rivers, Benny Parker and Tai Webster.

I remember something once upon a time about a university getting in trouble with the NCAA for "extra benefits" when they flew someone to a funeral.  I don't know if the guys are paying their own dime or not.  But since Leslee and David have both completed their eligibility, it might not be an issue for them.

If Benny and Tai are picking up their own airfare, it says a lot.

Hopefully it's a money/class issue that more teammates aren't going. I figured more would be going.

I think the players who are going are the obvious ones.

Benny and Terran arrived at UNL together.  Tai and Terran got real close working out together last summer.

The freshmen haven't been around as long, and it's no big secret that Terran and Walt weren't exactly BFFs.

Hopefully it's a money/class issue that more teammates aren't going. I figured more would be going.

Benny and Terran arrived at UNL together.  Tai and Terran got real close working out together last summer.

The freshmen haven't been around as long, and it's no big secret that Terran and Walt weren't exactly BFFs.

What about Shavon? Is it safe to assume he has class or are there issues with him and Terran? 

What about Shavon? Is it safe to assume he has class or are there issues with him and Terran? 

I would read zero into who can make it and who can't.