Terran Petteway's Mother has passed away.

Did the press conference get postponed?

Yes, to next week, as per LJS.

Thanks. I couldn't imagine facing the media right after something like that.

Per the University - Terran will travel to Galveston, Texas, to be with his family for Joetta’s funeral, and we will reschedule the availability for next week after he returns to campus.

Terran showed the biggest heart on the team. There is no doubt that translated off the court to his family as well and Joetta has got to be more than proud of the man she raised. Stay strong, Terran. You may have went to Nebraska for basketball, but you'll find that you have a family of thousands supporting you.

Such Sad, Sad news to discover this morning!

I couldn't possibly add anything to what has already been so well said except Sincere Sympathy and Prayers to the entire Petteway family in this time of sorrow.

Thank you for publishing the poignant picture, Dimes.  It's worth a Thousand words!

Words can't adequately express how much something like this sucks.  Therefore, I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said.  Just wanted to try and make this thread as long as any involving wins, losses, coach's decisions, bad calls by referees, etc.  Because those things are all so trivial compared to this.

Terran,

I lost my dad when I was 26, my mom 9 years later.  My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.  It never gets easier, but the pain eventually turns to fond memories.

I disagree.  For me, at least, after about 3 months, it started getting a lot easier.  I could start talking about my dad without starting to choke up and I could tell my kids how proud of him I was without shedding tears.  For three months, I couldn't say his name without my eyes getting red.  Easier.  Less pain.  More acceptance.  Day by day.

Cancer is a heartless, indiscriminate killer that randomly and for no apparent reason shows mercy to some and ruthless cruelty to others.  It's an agonizing way to die.  It took my dad.  It's fixing to take a couple of my dear friends.  It might rear its ugly head and take me some day.  I have a family history now.

I know how Terran feels.  And "sucks" doesn't begin to describe it.  Hopefully he has a good support system in place.  I wish him well.

My grandfather, whom I was very close with, died  right before I had to take my final exams during my 1L year of law school.  I had to fly home to attend the funeral and then took my first exam the day after I returned back to school (I was only gone 3 days).  I requested my first exam be pushed back 1-2 days to get my mind clear and was denied.   It is a wonder I passed that test.

I see Terran going through this and hope the University gives him enough time to mentally prepare for his finals.