Craig Smith

dskurz

Tim's X and O's have not been good.  Tim is a good rah rah coach - good for the soul.  Not sure he is so good at X and O's.  This is going to be a long season.

Scuse me?  Seven games in it's Tim's Xs and Os?  It's not Pitchford's 3-pt shooting down 20% from a year ago?  Or the fact that we're missing Leslee Smith?  How much better would Tim's Xs and Os look if Pitchford was hitting 45% from three?

Tim's X and O's have not been good.  Tim is a good rah rah coach - good for the soul.  Not sure he is so good at X and O's.  This is going to be a long season.

Scuse me?  Seven games in it's Tim's Xs and Os?  It's not Pitchford's 3-pt shooting down 20% from a year ago?  Or the fact that we're missing Leslee Smith?  How much better would Tim's Xs and Os look if Pitchford was hitting 45% from three?

No doubt about it, Nebraska was out coached the last two games.  IW's hot shooting in the 2nd half aside, that was a brutal coaching job.  Nebraska had 2 timeouts late in the game and every fan in the arena could feel the wheels coming off.  The team looked like they'd never seen a press before.  Stop the bleeding (or save a turnover) and call a TO!!!! 

No doubt about it, Nebraska was out coached the last two games.  IW's hot shooting in the 2nd half aside, that was a brutal coaching job.  Nebraska had 2 timeouts late in the game and every fan in the arena could feel the wheels coming off.  The team looked like they'd never seen a press before.  Stop the bleeding (or save a turnover) and call a TO!!!! 

You know, the players could also call a timeout.... just sayin' - Miles took the sword for that one in the post-game; in my eyes, if you're able to call a timeout as a player in a desperate situation, you do it! When you could see the look in Terran's eyes. It was not good. Panic. They'll learn from this, as hard as it is to swallow right at the moment. Hopefully a game in 2 days will help keep their focus for Cincy. #GATA

Scuse me?  Seven games in it's Tim's Xs and Os?  It's not Pitchford's 3-pt shooting down 20% from a year ago?  Or the fact that we're missing Leslee Smith?  How much better would Tim's Xs and Os look if Pitchford was hitting 45% from th

Pretty much the same team - yet vastly different results.  You explain it then.  It is more than just shooting.  Last year Pitchford got lots of great looks.  This year, not so much.  Something is different.  Miles doesn't have Craig Smith to help get good looks for players and make in game adjustments.

Scuse me?  Seven games in it's Tim's Xs and Os?  It's not Pitchford's 3-pt shooting down 20% from a year ago?  Or the fact that we're missing Leslee Smith?  How much better would Tim's Xs and Os look if Pitchford was hitting 45% from th

Pretty much the same team - yet vastly different results.  You explain it then.  It is more than just shooting.  Last year Pitchford got lots of great looks.  This year, not so much.  Something is different.  Miles doesn't have Craig Smith to help get good looks for players and make in game adjustments.

How about: Walt has brutal mechanics and when I tried to point this out last year, people just said, "He shoots 44% so just shut up"?

And, BTW, his trajectory is still flat.  The difference is it's just not falling this year.  But, shut up, Norm.  It doesn't matter how he shoots it; all that matters is that it goes in. 

P.S.  I'm not bitter, regardless of how it might sound. 

Miles knows his craft...that's certainly not an issue. We have enough Xs and Os on this staff.

Are we missing his calmness? Watching Smith during double overtime I couldn't get over how relaxed and calm he looked.

Are we missing his familiarity? Those guys worked together for years and Smith was essentially the #2 guy...do we have those roles all figured out yet? When I'm talking about the loss of Smith, it's more about the intangibles to me...nothing that can't be figured out.

Miles didn't get this far by out-recruiting teams. He got this far by building programs.

If there is any sort of deficiency with the staff at the end of the year Miles is going to figure that out and makes changes if necessary.

Miles knows his craft...that's certainly not an issue. We have enough Xs and Os on this staff.

Are we missing his calmness? Watching Smith during double overtime I couldn't get over how relaxed and calm he looked.

Are we missing his familiarity? Those guys worked together for years and Smith was essentially the #2 guy...do we have those roles all figured out yet? When I'm talking about the loss of Smith, it's more about the intangibles to me...nothing that can't be figured out.

Miles didn't get this far by out-recruiting teams. He got this far by building programs.

If there is any sort of deficiency with the staff at the end of the year Miles is going to figure that out and makes changes if necessary.

They feed off each other, like finishing each other's sentences. I think Miles had a comment about Smith a one point like that.

I don't think it's pretty much the same team.  Taking Ray's 30 minutes a game out of the equation, and Leslie's 15-20 makes it a somewhat different team.  Especially defensively.  That's 15-20 minutes of no post defense, and a huge drop in 2 guard defense.  Tai and Tarin make a lot of defensive mistakes at this point.  Losing Ray's range and occasional hot streaks has to affect how teams play us.  He could make them pay, so far the others don[t much (although Tarin did on one glorious shot against FSU).  But, I get the point that Walt, for example, is the same guy, with worse results. 

• 3 months later...

Gotta think a lot of the problems of this season and some related to players leaving is because Craig Smith left. I think I really underestimated what he brought to the table!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tarin Smith never played for Craig Smith and I don't think they're related.

That and Walt quitting hoops altogether doesnt quite fit the above.  Now as far as the play on the court I can get aboard that train a little but not on the two players departing.

I like coach Smith as much as the next guy, I think he'll be a hell of a coach and if coach Miles leaves us for another job who knows maybe coach Smith would be a good candidate to replace him.

But to say his presence or absence was the reason for Nebrasketball's anything last year or this is absolutely laughable, IMO.

How many threads do we have now about this?  Can we just combine them all into one?

I think about the pros and cons of this....instead of having 10 Craig Smith threads or 28 Terran Petteway threads might it make more sense to combine them all. Also, given the reaction of this thread I doubt most will care if I'm derailing it here.

Gotta think a lot of the problems of this season and some related to players leaving is because Craig Smith left. I think I really underestimated what he brought to the table!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tarin Smith never played for Craig Smith and I don't think they're related.
Craig was the lead recruiter for Tarin.

May not be the reason he left, but probably a big reason Tarin came

How many threads do we have now about this?  Can we just combine them all into one?

I think about the pros and cons of this....instead of having 10 Craig Smith threads or 28 Terran Petteway threads might it make more sense to combine them all. Also, given the reaction of this thread I doubt most will care if I'm derailing it here.

I definitely wouldn't mind personally if you were more active with merging threads.  I don't know if you ever go there, but Gopherhole is absolutely militant about keeping things one thread to a topic.  Some don't like that either, but perhaps a little more organization would be well received.

I definitely wouldn't mind personally if you were more active with merging threads.  I don't know if you ever go there, but Gopherhole is absolutely militant about keeping things one thread to a topic.  Some don't like that either, but perhaps a little more organization would be well received.

I've definitely noticed this on several threads so it's something I've personally thought about. There are drawbacks.

I'll have to put together a list of these type of things for the offseason. I was expecting this one to be somewhat boring but I haven't been able to eat a meal with my family for the two days without my phone dinging out of control

Can we keep the board organization/merging threads topic out of the Craig Smith thread please? . New topics go to their own thread ⚡

FWIW I was going to comment earlier about how this seemed like the appropriate dead horse thread to go off-topic on ;)