Pretty disappointed in our Offensive flow and strategy...

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to say I know more than anyone or saying I could do better with my "4th grade squad" ;) -- just my observations.

1. No transition flow -- Transition offense is not just about getting easy lay-ups or fast break lay-ups. It's also about getting the ball pushed and ahead of the defense, keeping them off guard, being on the attack, and forcing the defense to be one step behind (constantly rotating and closing out). We have no flow or early action -- the ball just ends up getting walked up forcing us to always be in a set or some sort of continuous action. Get the ball pushed ahead, attack the paint, swing the ball, get people moving and flowing.

2. Went away from our strengths for quite some time. Once we finally got stuff going in the first half it was because we got the ball inside -- that doesn't necessarily mean we got scores right off that, but we got paint touches which created other things. Then we got cute and went away from that, went continuous hand-offs and ball screens... Took away most post play.

3. Gave up taking good shots to shoot.... terrible shots. We would have guys get looks at kick-out 3's (now, I know some of them were a bit early), but guys would instead decide to drive (which is fine), and drop-off passes to guys like Almeida or Rivers who would eventually just settle for a 15' jumper. That's a terrible alternative in my opinion. Mid-range game is best off the bounce -- very few players are capable mid-range shooters off a kick-out. Why not shoot kick-out 3's? Best shot in basketball outside of a lay-up in my opinion.

A positive though -- Shavon Shields is a heck of a player. He's also huge and looks like he's still growing. He's the type of player that just makes plays, looks to have great fundamentals, and will play an excellent role in this program as we become a better team.

1. This team isn't built for transition offense. No depth and not enough shooters. You are not going to see NU push the ball much when Peltz is the PG and Andre is in the game.

2. Andre barely played the second half (injured?). That is why NU stopped going inside.

3. kick-out 3s? I don't think the answer is to shoot more threes.

You can't really judge Miles's philosophy at this point. He is doing the best he can with what he has. NU is not shooting well right now, they have some guys banged up, and there has not been enough depth all season. We've got a walk on point guard playing 20 minutes a game. Hopefully Parker, Andre, and Rivers minutes all increase as they get healthy. The team is 7-3 with a decent chance of getting to 10-3. Miles is doing more good things than bad at this point. Oregon and Creighton are going to beat this team 9 times out of 10 regardless of offensive flow and strategy.

If you have a discussion topic that relates to one game, TRYYY to post it in post-game chatter or report card threads. If you're posting about trends you've noticed, then a new thread is warranted. Not trying to be a jerk... just trying to reduce clutter. Did anyone see the board after the Creighton loss?? Their had to be a dozen threads with individuals' takes on what went wrong and where we stand. ALL I wanted to see after listening to that game was a dozen separate reminders of what went wrong and where we stand ;)

But since you started your own post-game thread, I'll piggy back on it to mention this and avoid starting my own as well...

Anyone else see SportsCenter top 10 last night?? Ubel's block was #2, but the anchor called him Shavon Shields. HOW someone could think someone as white as Ubel would have the name "Shavon" is besides the point... but he followed it up with something like "Shavon says, 'you don't know my name?? Well, NOW you do!!'" Added to the humor.

If you have a discussion topic that relates to one game, TRYYY to post it in post-game chatter or report card threads. If you're posting about trends you've noticed, then a new thread is warranted. Not trying to be a jerk... just trying to reduce clutter. Did anyone see the board after the Creighton loss?? Their had to be a dozen threads with individuals' takes on what went wrong and where we stand. ALL I wanted to see after listening to that game was a dozen separate reminders of what went wrong and where we stand ;)

But since you started your own post-game thread, I'll piggy back on it to mention this and avoid starting my own as well...

Anyone else see SportsCenter top 10 last night?? Ubel's block was #2, but the anchor called him Shavon Shields. HOW someone could think someone as white as Ubel would have the name "Shavon" is besides the point... but he followed it up with something like "Shavon says, 'you don't know my name?? Well, NOW you do!!'" Added to the humor.

Well, Ubel didn't get any respect in the ESPN clip, but he WAS the featured star of the Kidney and Brad video posted yesterday!

Personally I would prefer to have a lot of small threads with titles to choose from than one very long one I have to scroll through for an hour since my computer loads so slowly now. But that is just me. At least I didn't start a thread to make this point.

Haha well I meant my post as a suggestion, but realize it sounded more like a direction. I apologize, Mr. Jones.

Serious?

This board is "cluttered"? There's like, maybe, 4 threads at a max that are being actively talked in at any given time. I'd hardly say there's a clutter problem. And obviously, by the thread title, this post could be about a lot more than just tonight's game -- maybe the examples are specific, but it could speak to more general problems of the team.

Serious?

This board is "cluttered"? There's like, maybe, 4 threads at a max that are being actively talked in at any given time. I'd hardly say there's a clutter problem. And obviously, by the thread title, this post could be about a lot more than just tonight's game -- maybe the examples are specific, but it could speak to more general problems of the team.

If the post bring a unique take on the game or what they are seeing in the team I like new threads. The thread title let's me know the topic of discussion.

Serious?

I apologized - as I meant my original comment to be a suggestion and realize it sounded more like a command. But, yes, I would consider multiple threads regarding individuals' thoughts on our performance in one game to be clutter. It's clear that not everyone shares my opinion, so I digress. I was trying to make a general suggestion – I apologize that it came off as though I was calling you out.

1. This team isn't built for transition offense. No depth and not enough shooters. You are not going to see NU push the ball much when Peltz is the PG and Andre is in the game

Transition offense is a lot more than just running and fast breaks or early shots. Good transition offense is, as it says, transitioning into your offensive philosophy You can use the entire shot clock, or a good chuck of it, and still have fantastic transition offense. Transition offense is where you develop and begin your flow, put the defense on their heals, get them reacting, not dictating, and create match-up problems.

2. Andre barely played the second half (injured?). That is why NU stopped going inside.

I'm not talking about the 2nd half. I'm talking about the lull in the first half. They started the game hot, we weren't playing very well, then we really grinded it out and started getting inside touches -- then all of the sudden we went away from that during the first half. Really stalled us. Could have been a major gap time, instead it kept them in the game.

3. kick-out 3s? I don't think the answer is to shoot more threes

But you'd rather have Andre Almeida or David Rivers shoot 16' jumpers? Read this -- http://gizmodo.com/5892424/five-years-of-every-nba-shot-attempt-visualized -- then click on the .pdf that is linked and analyze that data presented. Lay-ups and 3pt shots provide you the highest points per attempt ratio out of all shots. If we can not shoot three's -- I doubt the answer is that we actually have more, skilled, mid-range jump shooters (a much more difficult skill) so we should take more kick-out jump shots.

Boy, we were passing up a lot of (open) kick-out three opportunities last night. At one point, I even made the comment (to no one in particular) "Man, someone has to be willing to take that shot!" When you catch that pass in tempo and there's not a defender in your bubble area, you need to have guards willing to take that shot and able to hit it. Right now, that's in short supply on this team, unfortunately.

I agree with Jonesie and bowman, by the way, FWIW. If there's a specific topic that you want to discuss with people, it's hard to do that within a thread about people's general observations about the game. Often you can just contribute to the post-game chatter, but jones has some points that probably deserve their own discussion.

That's just my take.

I've played in pick-up games at the old Men's P.E. with guys better than Peltz. Not to disparage the young man, just a fact. Other than about 3 players (you know who they are) , nobody on this team can shoot. I'm talking knockin' down an opener jumper half the time. Nothing worse in Basketball then having a guy that can't shoot, and we've got a bunch of 'em. I knew this season would be rough, I was just hoping it wouldn't be so painful to watch.

I agree Kamdy. More I see of Fuller, the more I like what I see. Saw a video the other day (wish I would have posted it; not sure I'll find it again) of Fuller. The kid can play. Nice looking jumper. (Yep, mark it down. December 19, 2012: Norm said someone had a nice looking jumper. And you thought it would never happen.)

I'm not saying he's anywhere near as good as Doug McDermott, but if you wanted to know the style of player that he is, I'd describe their games similarly. Inside-outside threats who score in a variety of ways, from posting up inside to nailing the perimeter jumper. I think we got ourselves a good one. Can't wait to see him playing alongside Shields.

It all comes down to the athletes. I like this offense and I'm sure if Doc ran as much motion, cuts, screens, penetration that Miles has installed with his players, there would have been more wins the past few years. I see the foundation being laid and I like the style even if we don't have the players yet. Keep in mind this is a new coach and new system with players who he didn't recruit. Learning curve.

Robin Washut has a note about Fuller on the pay side of HOL talking about why Fuller wasnt getting the attention from Wisconsin. Basically it said Wisconsin was in on Semi Ojeleye and they felt he was their 1 and Fuller was their 2 but with Fuller being a local that they could slow play him. Needless to say Fuller got upset about it and even when Wisconsin tried staying in contact he did not and when Nebraska expressed that he was their #1 was when he made the jump. At the end of the day Duke gets Semi and we get Fuller. Double win!

It is hard to see us pass up a "in the flow" and open shot, then struggle to get a shot off at the end of the shot clock. It happened about seven or eight times last night.

I feel the same way. I seem to recall Parker passing up several open shots. And you know Peltz isn't going to shoot it. Our guys have to realize they HAVE to take the shot because we are not getting a lot of wide open shots as the shot clock winds down.