Uneblinstu's post-game chatter, volume 5, edition 11

Norm Peterson

Someone fix the title if need be.

Injuries, gentlement. Injuries. Andre had to come out a couple of times. That bad miss on the little hook shot in the first half came with a price. Andre pulled himself out of the game and appeared to have pulled something else as well.

Miles' post-game, he talked about how Benny was hobbled. And David Rivers too. Benny could have come back in at the end for purposes of shooting free throws, but Miles didn't stick him back in. He's still being slowed by his ankle and his knee and whatever else. Apparently even took himself out of the game at one point.

Rivers. Miles said he was hurting tonight, too. That's why he wasn't in at the end. That and it was just Shavon's night. But Rivers is still hobbled.

In spite of his career-best performance, that elbow still looks to be bothering Shavon. There were several times tonight that he adjusted that sleeve and winced as he did so.

This is a team that can't afford foul trouble or injuries. We need all hands on deck as it is. Depth is something we just ain't got.

This post has been promoted to an article

Don't know where uneblinstu is at...so I will get this started for him!

The good, the bad, and the ugly…that about sums it up.

The good:

• Shavon looked very good tonight. He will take it to the hole, while staying under control. He plays hard, he makes his free throws, he looks like he is under control and knows what he can do.
  • Ubel had a double-double. Nice to see. He short armed a shot, but otherwise, I thought Brandon played a good game tonight.
  • We had breakdowns at the end of the game tonight…which we need to correct, but our defense after the first five minutes, and until about the seven minute mark towards the end of the game, was decent
  • Our bigs played pretty decent
  • We won the jump

The bad:

• Turnovers…bad
  • Defense at the beginning, and then the end of the game…awful.
  • When many in the crowd decided to leave at about the seven minute mark, our players decided to leave (in a figurative manner) at the same time

The ugly:

• Our guard play.
  • Break downs with our offensive scheme.

Listening to the pre-game on the radio, it was funny how Matt Davison is about as giddy about what this team might look like next year as the Kool-Aid drinkin' sunshine pumpers on this board. I mean just giddy. Talking about the players we'll have next year who are either sitting out as redshirts or coming in as new recruits. It was just kind of cool listening to his enthusiasm because I feel the same way. We might not yet have all the pieces next year, but the players we have coming in will form the core of the program for the next 3 years and they appear to be a very solid group. I'm right there with ya, Matty.

Ubel ended up making the ESPN top 10....going to try and screenshot it

The Lincoln Stars were also on the ESPN top 10 tonight.

By the time they replayed it the monster NBA jam and a couple other plays knocked out Ubes. BTW, it was video of him blocking that shot they called for basket interference

Look for Coach Miles to do more platooning of Andre and Brandon if his post-game comments are any indication.

So you think shields and ubel will start with Andre coming off the bench???

It's possible, but you might have inferred to much. I expect the two of them to start and platoon throughout the game. It'd be nice if Shields continues to improve and force Miles' hand.

Look for Coach Miles to do more platooning of Andre and Brandon if his post-game comments are any indication.

Kind of what I have been asking for...just saying. It isn't who starts the game, it is who finishes it. Andre, because of fouls and perhaps fatigue, hasn't finished many games. I tend to agree that there may be no change in the starting line-up. But after the first 3 or 4 minutes, I do think we may see a subtle difference in the substitution pattern. We are now 8 deep. Shavon is a very, very nice addition to that depth. Now, is it possible that we can get 24 to 26 minutes a game out of Andre?

We really haven't seen Shavon hit the 3-ball yet. That said, he has a very nice looking outside shot. In the Oregon game, he got some looks and lipped them out. I have a feeling, that when completely healthy and in shape, we have just witnessed a small portion of what the kid is capable of.

I do not want to over-hype him, yet he has a pretty impressive skillset.