This is frickin' crazy. Who came up with this?

So, it's March and the NCAA tourney brackets came out yesterday.  Typically, guys who were "dance or else" status start getting dismissed about now.  And, so, there I was poking around the internet looking for some sort of discussion about coaches on the hot seat. 

Lo and behold, I found a website with that very title:  "Coaches Hot Seat Ranking."  Except it's about football.

And, check out who ranks #16 among college football coaches on the mythical hot seat.

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

WTH?

Hey, we are Nebraska...it is win or else, correct?  Hell, there are those who believe Coach Miles is on such a seat.  Best fans in all of college, right?

Who claims that? You?  You do realize this site was most likely not created by a Nebraska fan...right?  Also, I don't get why you and a few others(green arrow on your post) on this board use a few outliers as fans to bash our entire fanbase.  As if a few fans thinking Miles should be on the hot seat means our entire fanbase sucks when the majority still love Miles and think he's going to get the job done....while still filling up PBA despite a horrible record.  Those sucky fans!   

Hey, we are Nebraska...it is win or else, correct?  Hell, there are those who believe Coach Miles is on such a seat.  Best fans in all of college, right?

Who claims that? You?  You do realize this site was most likely not created by a Nebraska fan...right?  Also, I don't get why you and a few others(green arrow on your post) on this board use a few outliers as fans to bash our entire fanbase.  As if a few fans thinking Miles should be on the hot seat means our entire fanbase sucks.   

Because...I was being a bit facetious.  Also, there are outliers who tend to have a much stronger voice then the majority who tend to be strong supporters...Also, there are a number of very good fans, that like it or not, tend not to start vocally and physically support a program until after they start winning; and then, if that program starts regressing, those fans can be very strong in their negative feelings. 

When I played my one year in the Husker baseball program, we were lucky to have a few hundred fans show up at the Buck.  Those fans were mostly student friends along with family...and yes a few others that were strong baseball and/or Husker fans.  Since then, certainly more fans have shown up, but there have been ebbs and flows of support versus angst ever since. 

The reason for my response to that in my travels, I have encountered a number of other opposing fans who are very impressed with our support of teams, they are impressed with how friendly we are, especially to opposing teams and fans, but are also amused by our arrogance.  We tend to live on our past, and when our present doesn't live up to that past, we are quick to find blame, be it on our coaches, ref's or whomever. 

So I was not surprised to see that Coach Riley is already on the hot seat, nor am I surprised that a few are already chirping a bit about Coach Miles.  Nor am I surprised when Coach Erstad is criticized for this that or the other.  And yes, this happens everywhere...I know...but oftentimes, we, as fans, do not believe we do that sort of thing.  Many do not, but certainly, there is a loud group who do.

Who claims that? You?  You do realize this site was most likely not created by a Nebraska fan...right?  Also, I don't get why you and a few others(green arrow on your post) on this board use a few outliers as fans to bash our entire fanbase.  As if a few fans thinking Miles should be on the hot seat means our entire fanbase sucks.   

Because...I was being a bit facetious.  Also, there are outliers who tend to have a much stronger voice then the majority who tend to be strong supporters...Also, there are a number of very good fans, that like it or not, tend not to start vocally and physically support a program until after they start winning; and then, if that program starts regressing, those fans can be very strong in their negative feelings. 

When I played my one year in the Husker baseball program, we were lucky to have a few hundred fans show up at the Buck.  Those fans were mostly student friends along with family...and yes a few others that were strong baseball and/or Husker fans.  Since then, certainly more fans have shown up, but there have been ebbs and flows of support versus angst ever since. 

The reason for my response to that in my travels, I have encountered a number of other opposing fans who are very impressed with our support of teams, they are impressed with how friendly we are, especially to opposing teams and fans, but are also amused by our arrogance.  We tend to live on our past, and when our present doesn't live up to that past, we are quick to find blame, be it on our coaches, ref's or whomever. 

So I was not surprised to see that Coach Riley is already on the hot seat, nor am I surprised that a few are already chirping a bit about Coach Miles.  Nor am I surprised when Coach Erstad is criticized for this that or the other.  And yes, this happens everywhere...I know...but oftentimes, we, as fans, do not believe we do that sort of thing.  Many do not, but certainly, there is a loud group who do.

He's not.  That's the point.  Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true.  Nor does one guy putting him on the hot seat mean "oh welp....we are the greatest fans...right? Wink wink."  I've seen that type of post numerous of times in the recent weeks and I fail to understand why.  Is our fanbase perfect? No.  Is any fanbase perfect? No.  Would you rather have the reverse happen and people stop caring? Imagine Memorial Stadium with 50K as opposed to 95K...imagine PBA with 6K as opposed to 15K.  Miles could win the Big Ten next year and you will still find a few fans that dislike him....that's just how it goes.  No need to dump on the fanbase as a whole because you don't agree with the extreme minority.  Of course we live in the past...our past is awesome!  We should be proud of our tradition.  

He's not.  That's the point.  Just because you read it on the internet does not make it true.  Nor does one guy putting him on the hot seat mean "oh welp....we are the greatest fans...right? Wink wink."  I've seen that type of post numerous of times in the recent weeks and I fail to understand why.  Is our fanbase perfect? No.  Is any fanbase perfect? No.  Would you rather have the reverse happen and people stop caring? Imagine Memorial Stadium with 50K as opposed to 95K...imagine PBA with 6K as opposed to 15K.  Miles could win the Big Ten next year and you will still find a few fans that dislike him....that's just how it goes.  No need to dump on the fanbase as a whole because you don't agree with the extreme minority.  Of course we live in the past...our past is awesome!  We should be proud of our tradition.  

I agree, point made and apology provided.

I agree, point made and apology provided.

No need to apologize! I agree with you 99% of the time...and I didn't mean to jump on you but I've just seen that line a few times in the recent weeks.  I just think we have a unique great fanbase.  And I'm sure for the most part you hold the same feelings.

As for the OP, I don't think his opinion is coming from the Nebraska fanbase.  Sure, some are skeptical which is understandable and would have happened with any coach outside of a select few.  I'm sure there will be some bumps in the road but I think the staff will be given time to right the ship.  

On a somewhat related note, every time I see the "Through these gates walk..." signs on the stadium it makes me a little nauseous.

I mean, really?  That's the kind of self aggrandizement that Husker fans are despised for, and really, it's the antithesis of what most of us stand for anyway (self-congratulation).  Yes, I understand that it could be seen as more of a reminder to always keep sportsmanship in mind, etc. but I don't know.  It just comes across to me as very unnecessary, and ultimately all I can think of is Steve Pederson when I see them.

I kind of wish we'd take those signs down.

If anyone in this thread had bothered to google why Riley was the only new hire to be placed on the "hot seat" you would see that it's mostly based on hating the hire, believing that Riley wins 5 games next year, and predicting that Riley isn't the coach in 4 years as opposed to an indictment against the Nebraska fan base.

http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/archives/23042

On a somewhat related note, every time I see the "Through these gates walk..." signs on the stadium it makes me a little nauseous.

I mean, really?  That's the kind of self aggrandizement that Husker fans are despised for, and really, it's the antithesis of what most of us stand for anyway (self-congratulation).  Yes, I understand that it could be seen as more of a reminder to always keep sportsmanship in mind, etc. but I don't know.  It just comes across to me as very unnecessary, and ultimately all I can think of is Steve Pederson when I see them.

It's not particularly hard to be cynical about a statement like "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football" when you can walk into the stadium and not search too hard to find something that contradicts your interpretation of this statement.

Are we the greatest? We've sold out games since 1962. That's pretty great. Do we always collectively act like the greatest? No. Do we sometimes collectively act like the greatest? Undoubtedly.

If anyone in this thread had bothered to google why Riley was the only new hire to be placed on the "hot seat" you would see that it's mostly based on hating the hire, believing that Riley wins 5 games next year, and predicting that Riley isn't the coach in 4 years as opposed to an indictment against the Nebraska fan base.

http://coacheshotseat.com/coacheshotseatblog/archives/23042

I don't care how they justify it.  It's asinine to claim that a coach who hasn't coached a game yet for the team he was just hired by is on any kind of hot seat.  Hot seat means if you don't win this year, you're likely to be booted.  They predict no more than 5 wins on the season for Riley in his first season.  I'm saying any coach who's really on a hot seat wouldn't survive a 5-win season.  But I guarantee if Riley's troops only post 5 Ws this season, he'll still be the coach next year ... unless he contracts meningitis or something. 

You can dislike the hire all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Mike Riley is not on the hot seat.  His job is not in jeopardy.  He doesn't risk getting fired for failing to win games.  There is no performance-based benchmark that he is in realistic jeopardy of failing to meet that would result in his termination at the end of the season.  He simply is NOT on any kind of hot seat.

It's not particularly hard to be cynical about a statement like "Through these gates pass the greatest fans in college football" when you can walk into the stadium and not search too hard to find something that contradicts your interpretation of this statement.

Are we the greatest? We've sold out games since 1962. That's pretty great. Do we always collectively act like the greatest? No. Do we sometimes collectively act like the greatest? Undoubtedly.

Well, sure, I get all that.  But the implication is that Nebraska fans are the greatest without exception and to the exclusion of all others.  We all know that just isn't true.  Other groups of fans are pretty damn loyal, respectful, passionate...everything that we are as well.

That's my point.  It comes off as arrogant, ignorant and quite a few other objectionable adjectives.  It's something that need not be said.  Much less posted in a sign outside every gate of the stadium.

Well, sure, I get all that.  But the implication is that Nebraska fans are the greatest without exception and to the exclusion of all others.  We all know that just isn't true.  Other groups of fans are pretty damn loyal, respectful, passionate...everything that we are as well.

That's my point.  It comes off as arrogant, ignorant and quite a few other objectionable adjectives.  It's something that need not be said.  Much less posted in a sign outside every gate of the stadium.

I think I could come up with a rubric whereby it would be objectively provable that Nebraska's fans are the best.

1.  What is the percentage of unsold seats per game on average over the last 25 years?

2.  What is the percentage of unsold seats during the worst season (by win/loss record) in the last 25 years?

3.  Are attendance figures bolstered by alcohol sales?  (If yes, discount attendance by 25%)

4.  Do fans wear blue sweater vests or not?  (If yes, discount attendance by an additional 15%)

5.  Do fans characteristically applaud the opposing team leaving the field at the end of each game?

Note:  No team's collective fanbase is responsible for the conduct of anonymous internet blowhards.

...imagine PBA with 6K as opposed to 15K.  

This should not be too difficult to do for those of us that lingered about during the NU v Directional State games during the later Collier years. Just picture how the Bob looked those evenings... then add 1000 people.

I REALLY wish we would take them down.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...