What I think happened - and, dare I say - a Solution?

Specialization, defined roles, responsibilities, job descriptions. All things any great organization needs - from a Fortune 500 to your local YMCA league team. Some people just naturally do things better than others - they have different skills, weaknesses, and things they prioritize personally. It is vital to your success to get those people in their best fit more times than not.

The NBA is nearing an age of play where these things are almost scientificly determined. They are using numbers and thousands of hours of play/data to determine the best role and thing to do for every individual on the court. Their advantage? There are thousands of available data points and players available to enter in. They play 82 games at a minimum a year, summer league games, and some players have been on the same team, with the same coaches, or within similar organizations/conferences for 6+ years. They can determine these best roles, movements, strengths, and shot selections almost definitively. Then, they can pick, choose, and pay for exactly what they want. And last, 5-10 games off toss-up, win or lose, doesn't really matter over that many games and with play-offs (hell, teams with losing records make the playoffs every year).

Sounds great, doesn't it? Sure, if you are dealing with a massive sample size, unlimited player options, the lack of emphasis on an individual game, and licensed-professional-assassin caliber players.

But how about when every game matters and you are dealing with 18-21 year old young men? Ya know, those same kids who a lot of you have been parents of on this board - who will go at any length to not be labeled, prove you wrong, and go against the grain? Yeah, that kid. They are undefinable at this age, subconsciously so, matter of fact.

My theory? Our roles got too defined and we forgot all 5 dudes on the court need to be playing basketball where all of the necessary skill-sets are available and on display. It is not about the system, it is probably not about playing, "motion basketball," (as I've beaten into our collective heads) -- it is about dudes (and coaches probably too) doing and emphasizing certain things that all 5 players must do from a basketball skill-set that the basketball gods have proven over and over again players need to be able to do.

Example #1: Walter goes HAM last year shooting 3's and popping off of ball-screens. One could argue he was our MVP last year based on the fact that we went as Walter went. We were unstoppable if Walt was hitting 3's while popping (instead of rolling) on ball screen action.

So naturally what would any logical person think needs to happen to Walt's game this summer? Needs to get GREAT at shooting those shape/pop shots off ball-screens so we are always good, right? Right? Bueller.... Bueller?

Wrong. He still needed to develop his overall game. He still needs to be a 5-tool-offensive basketball player. Shooting, passing, driving, screening, and cutting. Does he need to be great at all those? Absolutely not! There are going to be plenty of things your average role player does not excell at - however - the Basketball Gods have proven time and time again there are just certain movements and actions every player must do based off of how the defense guards you.

Do I know for fact this happened? Absolutely not. But I did see Walt misread ball screens this year and do the same thing nearly every time. Always looking for the same shot. Instead of rolling hard, unselfishly, to create spacing and lanes for his teammates. Because now what happens when the thing he worked the hardest on and focused on fails him? Confidence = gone. Do you have your fundamentals to fall back on?

Example #2: TP and Shavon's driving angles. Two best players on the team right? Need to get the most shots and most attempts right? Ball needs to be in their hands right? Yes - if it happens naturally. Doesn't work if you force it.

First off - you do not score as many points in the Big 10 as these two have without having incredible instincts, skills, and ability. But here is the problem, as our roles got too defined, these guys thought they had to carry the weight by themselves because they are the guys who should score the most. Therefore, if they got the ball kicked ahead to them, but their instincts looked ahead and saw they did not have a direct line to the hoop, we got NOTHING out of transition opportunities and kick-outs.

Those transition kicks should have been our go to offense. With 6'7", multi-talented, bruisers of wings, you pray to get them in the open court. However, with their roles being too defined, they were not making the proper reads in transition, and on kick out opportunities to create for their teammates, the unselfish drives, if you will. Are they selfish people/players? No. They are great teammates. Unfortunately, too defined of roles can make you look that way, and not allow you to do the necessary, unselfish actions required on the basketball court.

My solution - open it up, and get rid of the highly-specific individualized workouts basketball society has gravitated towards. Emphasize to your players to get their bodies in their best shape through your S&C program, and let them have some autonomy in figuring out the parts of their game they want to work on and develop. Emphasize workouts that all players should get good at regardless of position. Players will always naturally find a way to evolve what they are already good at.

The key thing to remember- if you are good at something, it will probably naturally work its way into your game. Your subconscious is a good thing to always have in shape. But you have to remember that the game of basketball is played by 5 guys moving in unselfish, beneficial ways for their teammates based off of how the defense chooses to guard you. As a coach and as a player, those options must be available for both to adjust. We did not get that this year.

Just my theory, could be way off. But after taking some time off from bball and putting some thought into the season, this is what I came up with.

I agree that basketball players need to be more than one-trick ponies.  Especially at college level and below. 

I will say this about Walt.  We saw two post moves in the 2nd half of our last home game where he started with his back to the basket, and then spun counter-clockwise for a jumper in the low blocks.

We need to see a lot more of that.  And in combination with other moves.

Personally, as a right-handed shooter, I don't like the drop-step to my left for a jumper because you have to rotate too far to get your shoulders in position where your right arm is forward to make the shot.  When doing a baseline drop step where he rotates to his left, I'd rather see him develop a righty hook because: 1) he doesn't have to rotate as far; and 2) because it allows his left shoulder to create space from the defender in order to get the shot off.

The counter move when the baseline drop step is cut off is a very quick spin back to your right on the same pivot foot (right foot) where your torso only has to rotate about 180 degrees into a turnaround J or a fadeaway J.  It's just one quick step with the left foot where your right shoulder is almost immediately in position for the shot.  And if the defender overplays that, then it's a quick ball fake, step-through layup.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

But I've been ranting about this since the Wisconsin game.  There's Frank Kaminsky practicing nothing but post-moves during the shoot-around whereas Walt is doing nothing but bricking threes.  And which of those players actually hit a three during the game?  If you guessed the guy who was practicing post moves, you'd be correct.

jones, perhaps the answer to my "what we need now" thread is found here in this thread.  Perhaps, we need everyone on the team to identify a weakness they possess the fixing of which would make the team better.

For Walt, I would say he needs to hone a couple of combo post moves so that he has them down by rote and can execute them in game action without even having to think about it.

For Tarin Smith, maybe it's his jumper (I wouldn't be opposed to letting Ali tinker with Tarin's mechanics.)

For Jacob Hammond, maybe it's freethrow shooting or post defense.  Etc. Etc.

Yes, continue to improve the things you're good at.  Walt having the ability to hit threes is a special value he brings to the table.  But what are you maybe not so good at, the fixing of which would benefit the team?  Work on those things, too.

When you get to this level of college ball, you cannot have any major weaknesses.  You can have some skills that are less refined to others, but if you have any type of hole in your game, it is going to be exposed over and over again.  We have players with some major holes, and they were certainly exposed this season.

The hope is that each and every player not only works on those weaknesses, but also continues to improve upon their strengths...

If TP comes back next year he needs to work on dribble drive to the left.

TP needs to have the pressure relieved off his back. That's the only thing he needs to work on, and 90% starts with his coaches putting him and teaching him the right way to play team basketball, and his teammates picking up the slack. He has every skill and tool he needs physically and skill wise. The last 10% is him trusting his teammates and picking his spots way better.

I agree with the thoughts in this thread. Looking back, I remember many times during the season coach Miles himself said this team was the Petteway & Shields show. That message was heard loud and clear by the team and they played like it. I'm not sure that is the proper message to bring about the best team environment.

Sparky Anderson had some success with this concept as manager of the Big Red Machine in Cincinnati. He would begin the first team meeting in spring training by informing the players, "Bench, Rose, and Perez are the stars here. The rest of you are turds."

I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench. ~ Sparky Anderson

I agree that basketball players need to be more than one-trick ponies.  Especially at college level and below. 

I will say this about Walt.  We saw two post moves in the 2nd half of our last home game where he started with his back to the basket, and then spun counter-clockwise for a jumper in the low blocks.

We need to see a lot more of that.  And in combination with other moves.

Personally, as a right-handed shooter, I don't like the drop-step to my left for a jumper because you have to rotate too far to get your shoulders in position where your right arm is forward to make the shot.  When doing a baseline drop step where he rotates to his left, I'd rather see him develop a righty hook because: 1) he doesn't have to rotate as far; and 2) because it allows his left shoulder to create space from the defender in order to get the shot off.

The counter move when the baseline drop step is cut off is a very quick spin back to your right on the same pivot foot (right foot) where your torso only has to rotate about 180 degrees into a turnaround J or a fadeaway J.  It's just one quick step with the left foot where your right shoulder is almost immediately in position for the shot.  And if the defender overplays that, then it's a quick ball fake, step-through layup.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

But I've been ranting about this since the Wisconsin game.  There's Frank Kaminsky practicing nothing but post-moves during the shoot-around whereas Walt is doing nothing but bricking threes.  And which of those players actually hit a three during the game?  If you guessed the guy who was practicing post moves, you'd be correct.

It may be a matter of semantics but from every coach I've ever heard speak a drop step always ends up in a layup and all players need to be able to drop step both ways. Your "dropping" foot should have a target of the front of the rim so after you've dropped baseline your shoulders are parallel to the backboard (which would have the left shoulder protecting the ball in your explanation). When you drop middle you are placing the defender under the hoop and your shoulders will be perpendicular to the backboard again offering protection from the defender and you simply flip the ball over the rim and into the basket. So that is not the same thing as a left handed jump hook from the right side but a left handed layup.

The counter to the drop step is the double drop or what some coaches refer to as the Charles Barkley (I guess that's older coaches now). If the defense steps hard and cuts off the step to the front of the rim, you draw contact on that first step and immediately drop step the opposite way. The double drop is also the counter for the jump hook from most coaches perspective.

I right hander turning to the left shoulder to take the jump shot is not a post move but a lack there of.

Yeah, semantics.  We're talking about the same thing, I think.  I can visualize what you're describing.  When I say drop step, you have the defender at your back and attempt to seal the defender by stepping around him in whichever way you're going.  So, if he's guarding you on the high side, you drop step baseline by stepping wide of his feet, sealing him off with your hip, spinning on your pivot foot and creating space to get off a shot.

To me, depending on where the defender is and the angle of the entry pass, you can potentially step toward the basket, seal the defender on your hip, turn and have a direct line to an open layup.  Sometimes, though, when you make that step, you can't step to the basket and instead step more to the baseline.  In that situation, a right-hander, turning to his left on a left pivot foot can spin to a righty hook where the left shoulder helps create space by blocking the defender off from the shot.

Alternatively, from that same spot, you could drop step by stepping with your right foot to the middle of the lane, trying to step around the defender and seal with your hip and spin into a jumper, but not necessarily a layup.  Maybe a layup but it depends on where the defender is playing you and whether you can drop step toward the basket or not.

Dean, the first set of moves in this video might help me explain what I'm talking about. 

Hakeem is showing Amare Stoudemire some footwork.  He receives the ball in the post with his back to the basket, takes a dribble and steps toward the middle of the lane.  Then picks up his dribble, drop steps toward the baseline and spins into a righty hook.  The drop step is not toward the basket for a layup but toward the baseline for a hook.  Maybe you'd use different terminology, but that's what I'm calling a drop step.

Watching the Akeem and Amare video it really shows you the difference between Hall of Fame talent and NBA talent. Amare is a good NBA player and I understand he is learning from Olajuwon, but the footwork and body control of Akeem even at 50+ is so much better than Amare (and  99% of current NBA players)

Watching the Akeem and Amare video it really shows you the difference between Hall of Fame talent and NBA talent. Amare is a good NBA player and I understand he is learning from Olajuwon, but the footwork and body control of Akeem even at 50+ is so much better than Amare (and 99% of current NBA players)

He shows you how to go to a right hook from either side of the lane. He calls it your bread and butter move. He shows you what to do if they try to take the hook away. He shows the fadeaway jumper and explains how you create space with it.

Do you see anything in there that a college level center couldn't master with just a little bit of practice?

Seriously.

I want someone to explain to me why our 6'10" starting center doesn't have these moves in his arsenal.

When basketballjones says improve on a weakness, here ya go Walt. Anywhere that you have a basket and a ball, you could hone these moves. Doesn't even need to be anyone else around.

Watching the Akeem and Amare video it really shows you the difference between Hall of Fame talent and NBA talent. Amare is a good NBA player and I understand he is learning from Olajuwon, but the footwork and body control of Akeem even at 50+ is so much better than Amare (and 99% of current NBA players)

He shows you how to go to a right hook from either side of the lane. He calls it your bread and butter move. He shows you what to do if they try to take the hook away. He shows the fadeaway jumper and explains how you create space with it.

Do you see anything in there that a college level center couldn't master with just a little bit of practice?

Seriously.

I want someone to explain to me why our 6'10" starting center doesn't have these moves in his arsenal.

When basketballjones says improve on a weakness, here ya go Walt. Anywhere that you have a basket and a ball, you could hone these moves. Doesn't even need to be anyone else around.

Because he doesn't want them.

He has clearly shown us he doesn't want to play down low, nor does he want to improve his post game.

We all want him to want to, but I see no evidence of that desire from Walt.

He wants to shoot threes; that's about it.

Dean, the first set of moves in this video might help me explain what I'm talking about. 

Hakeem is showing Amare Stoudemire some footwork.  He receives the ball in the post with his back to the basket, takes a dribble and steps toward the middle of the lane.  Then picks up his dribble, drop steps toward the baseline and spins into a righty hook.  The drop step is not toward the basket for a layup but toward the baseline for a hook.  Maybe you'd use different terminology, but that's what I'm calling a drop step.

First move is sort of a double drop but he is stepping flat to the baseline instead of bringing the foot all the way back to the front of the rim. I realize this makes me sound stupid talking about Hakeem but I would tell him you can get the jump hook anytime you want, swing that foot to the front and get the layup. The second move is what used to be called a Sikma move (when people knew who Jack Sikma was) followed by a standard rip move. I like my perimeter players to use the Sikma series because if the defense took away the drop step (everyone has to drop step both ways) the Sikma series put them facing the basket and they could use their familiar perimeter moves like the rip shown. The last move just has a spin move added to the end of the rip. Also a perimeter skill used around the basket. No one could seal you and spin you faster or smoother than the Dream.