Pavelka

Silent1

Before the age of every game on tv and the internet and FM radio, I had to listen to either KFAB or KRGI AM stations. while they would be fading in and out at key moment of the game. Kent had you on the edge of your seat just waiting on the Huskers to make a great play. His side kick back then was Gary Saddlemeier( hope I spelled that right) and Gary would always keep Kent in check. Then the time that the Huskers beat Mizzo in Columbia when they where #1Kent said he was ducking from the stuff being at him and the team. Jim Bains was one of the refs I can't remember the other/s. He has given us all great memories through the years.

His call from Colombia is still one of my ALL time favorite sports memories. He spoke in almost a hushed whisper for fear (I assume) that if he spoke too loudly he might "jinx" us and we would lose. LOVE it!

I love listening to the Nebraska radio teams for both basketball teams, and also for volleyball.  However, I don't listen to the radio for football, since everything is on TV and I can't get the Husker Sports Network from a Chicago bar (nor would I want to pay all that data to stream in an online radio broadcast!)

Like a few others have said, I'd rather listen to the (homer) commentary of Kent & Matt, or of Matt & Jeff than the "unbiased" BTN or ESPN commentary. This is especially true if I am forced to multi-task (i.e. grade or write papers) while trying to follow a Husker game... though I'm rarely productive for that reason!

Once per year, I'd like to see Pavelka and Matt Davison pick a game to honor Bill Walton and Dave Pasch by bitching at, and condescending each other, throughout the entire broadcast.  

You know, one thing that makes Walton/Pasch tolerable is the thought that someday Pasch is going to say something to Walton and he's gonna just lose it on air.  I envision a day that they get into a fistfight right during the game on live TV and I want to be watching when it happens.

I regret comparing you to Ted Baxter, Kent, but at least it wasn't Les Nessman. I do hope to hear you shout "Pitchfork" a few times next year when Walter finds his three point touch again.

As long as the University doesn't start dropping turkeys from the rafters of PBA during a basketball game I think we are safe from the Les Nessman comparison.

Just want to correct something that was said by one of the posters above......

Gary Sadlemyer was Kent's color guy on the Nebraska football broadcasts (when KFAB had the rights), Gary never worked on basketball. Prior to Matt being the color commentator when Kent was broadcasting Nebraska basketball Tom Johnson was the color commentator on the KFAB network.

Yes Kent is a great guy and along with Matt do an excellent job with the broadcasts.

So many great memories with Kent. I suspect when my life flashes before my eyes, Gary Sadlemyer and Kent Pavelkas voices will precede those of my family and friends. Right after the voices of Milt and Dan Young. What an experience to hear Dan Young talk. That dude probably never wanted the post game chatter/radio job but holy smokes what a voice. He could have retired and gone radio full time with that baritone. 

Fixing fence with my Grandpa while listening to AM radio and rooting for the good guys won't go out of style, ever. 

Here's hoping Kent will be rocking the latest dance next season with Miracle Matt.

Just want to correct something that was said by one of the posters above......

Gary Sadlemyer was Kent's color guy on the Nebraska football broadcasts (when KFAB had the rights), Gary never worked on basketball. Prior to Matt being the color commentator when Kent was broadcasting Nebraska basketball Tom Johnson was the color commentator on the KFAB network.

Yes Kent is a great guy and along with Matt do an excellent job with the broadcasts.

I distinctly remember listening to Gary doing games with Kent early in the Nee era, I swear he did hoops.

Maybe we could get Kent back in here to clear this up for us?

Of course, back in those days Kent and Gary WERE KFAB.

Gary never broadcast any basketball games with me.  For the first 8 or 9 years I did the games solo.  Tom Johnson, Larry Moehlenbrink, Rich Roberts, and Nick Joos teamed with me at various times after that.   Matty D. has been with me for the last 9 years now and has never once set up the equipment.   :ph34r:

Gary never broadcast any basketball games with me.  For the first 8 or 9 years I did the games solo.  Tom Johnson, Larry Moehlenbrink, Rich Roberts, and Nick Joos teamed with me at various times after that.   Matty D. has been with me for the last 9 years now and has never once set up the equipment.   :ph34r:

Oh My Goodness!!!!

Oh My Goodness!!!!

I always see Matt working the crowd Kent, perhaps you need to come up to section 115 and do some glad handing...perhaps it will get you out of some work :D

• 8 months later...

Kent made a comment in the pregame show today on Tai's haircut and basically interviewed him while he was in warmups, it was hilarious.  He asked Tai if he had a dunk yet this year but neither could remember if he had for sure.

Then later in the game when Tai got the ally-oop from Benny (and came so close to actually dunking it) and Tai was running back down the court on defense, he looked over to Kent and held his thumb and forefinger up as if to say "missed it by this much" and smiled.

Then, when Tai got the T for hanging on the rim (and trying to dunk) he looked back over and kind of smiled sheepishly at Kent.

I was really hoping after that that Tai would finally actually dunk the ball just to see what he would do.  I would like to think he'd run by Matt and Kent and give Kent a high-five.  :D

Best memory of the game today for me.  Tai is such a fun kid to watch play!

I absolutely love Kent.  I hope he told his broadcast partner to remember the mic is always on, even when you think you're in a break.

I saw something on twitter that made the mic comment.  What happened? 

After the final buzzer when they cut to their first commercial, he thought they had cut but the mic stayed on and he said something to the tune of:

"Gee I wonder how many people can come up and pat me on the back after the game... like 'Oh hey good job Matt...'  Sometimes I think if I just leave my headset on they'll leave me alone"

He said it in kind of a mocking tone; obviously he gets annoyed with random people coming up and making comments to him like they are old buddies.