Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

Apparently there's a recording of Miles saying he doesn't want TP back.

Bingo. The worms are escaping out of the can. Do we need to shut down the thread now or is everyone on board with 'going there'?

I think we just went there... Let me get my popcorn and we can go ahead and continue.   :o

Everything I have been told is that Terran would be welcome back if he wants to return.

That's good to know. There's a lot, I mean A LOT of trash floating around lately. Hopefully it's just a byproduct of the crappy season.

I hope you're both right.

Whatever happens I hope there is respect and appreciation from Husker fans and on here.  Any issues TP had were not related to effort, caring about team, wanting to win.  We made the tournament for the first time in 15 years, which never happens without this guy.  He's extremely wired up, which always has some fallout, but this guy has been a net plus by a mile.   Hold the cheap shots after he makes his decision.

Petteway IMO can only play point guard in the NBA and after leading the Big Ten in turnovers it would be incredibly surprising if he was even drafted by the NBA.

If he wants to have a better chance of playing in the NBA It would be in his best interest to come back and work on cutting down on his TO's and hitting a much higher percentage on his three's and getting some control of his emotions.

He's a hard worker and I wish him the best on and off the court.

Bingo. The worms are escaping out of the can. Do we need to shut down the thread now or is everyone on board with 'going there'?

Uh...I think that was a Pelini joke as opposed to an actual opinion.

TP has some flaws in his game but once again has been the best player on the team for the last two years and the biggest reason we made the tourney for the first time this century. He's easily a net positive when you factor everything and we definitely want him back. 

TP has some flaws in his game but once again has been the best player on the team for the last two years and the biggest reason we made the tourney for the first time this century. He's easily a net positive when you factor everything and we definitely want him back.

That is not a Pelini joke. Atskooc? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Again (that is a Doc joke), there is A LOT of trash floating. I hope that's all it is. But I have the feeling Atskooc has heard similar things I have heard. I fully appreciate everything Terran has put into the program. You're right, we don't sniff the NCAA tournament without his strong play last year.

Whatever happens I hope there is respect and appreciation from Husker fans and on here.  Any issues TP had were not related to effort, caring about team, wanting to win.  We made the tournament for the first time in 15 years, which never happens without this guy.  He's extremely wired up, which always has some fallout, but this guy has been a net plus by a mile.   Hold the cheap shots after he makes his decision.

:ph34r: I'm with Dimes and HB on this!  Terran Petteway certainly has his (well-publicized) flaws, but, in addition to being someone of high character (as are all the Team members) is the main reason we were able to make our Tournament run last season. 

I've all but given up on trying to defend Terran on some other boards I frequent.  It seems the resident 'Experts' (or at least those who have been on the board the longest) have determined he is a 'ball-hog,' not a 'team-player,' and even someone they would just as soon not have on their team!   And for some reason, Miles refuses to impose discipline on the team.

Then, it just seems to feed on itself! " Yeah!    Yeah!!   Yeah,  Bench 'em!"  (echo, repeat)

I'm just a Noob, but I think I've learned enough here to believe if you bench Petteway to 'teach him a lesson,'  the games you've been losing by single-digits will quickly become those you'll start losing by double-digits.

Best Wishes to Terran, whatever he decides! 

That is not a Pelini joke. Atskooc? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Again (that is a Doc joke), there is A LOT of trash floating. I hope that's all it is. But I have the feeling Atskooc has heard similar things I have heard. I fully appreciate everything Terran has put into the program. You're right, we don't sniff the NCAA tournament without his strong play last year.

I wasn't joking, if that's what you're asking.

edited for bad grammar

I wasn't joking, if that's what your asking.

I don't know what I believe anymore.  Certainly some interesting rumors floating around.  In regards to TP hopefully we will know within the next week.   

I would guess there are multiple examples of Calipari saying the same thing about many of his best players. Just guessing that if there is such a recording, the context concerns what may be best for the player, not the team. And I don't think using Pelini and joke in the same sentence will be too common in Nebraska any more. Now that Bo has been mentioned here though, I wonder what folks think Miles might do if his best player fails two drug tests? Nothing??

Perhaps things have changed within teams since I played, but I still do a bit of coaching, so I believe I am right when I say the following.  Seasons can be long.  Your team is an extended family.  You spend a lot of time together both on the court/field and off.  And like most families there are ebbs and flows of emotion.  In today's age, any event tends to have cell phones and other devices that can pick up a photo or a short discussion at any time.  Sometimes those short conversations or comments have meaning, at other times one would have to take in the full conversation in order to get the right context.

Compair and contrast that "family time" when things are going well (like last year) versus when times are tougher (like this year).  A casual comment last year may have been taken as a joke, this year, that same comment may cause a fight. 

I guess the point I am making is that due to the way this year ended, there likely are hurt feelings, and/or hurt egos.  Perhaps a comment made this year impacts those feelings or egos significantly differently than last year.  It happens...life goes on.  TP, and every other coach and player on this team must take a step back and say what the heck just happened and more importantly, what will my role be in moving forward and improve.  That may be as a member of the team/family, or it may be elsewhere.

I would hope and I also firmly believe that decisions by players and coaches will be made for the right reasons.  If something was overheard, or a feeling was hurt; that can typically be fixed.  We may lose a player or two.  That happens.  I hope for the best for any player or coach in our system.  But if a player or coach chooses to move on, then so be it.  We are buliding a program (or so I hope) not an individual team.

I bet there is lots of times he's thought that about every player on the roster and several times he's said it.

He on record of telling it to Benny Parker's face.

If there is some Husker group out there sitting on something like this or any other dirt they love to dig up on their own team, waiting for an appropriate time to leak it somewhere, then those people are garbage. It sickens me that the main adversary of the Huskers has become the Huskers.

cosigned.

I bet there is lots of times he's thought that about every player on the roster and several times he's said it.

He on record of telling it to Benny Parker's face.

If there is some Husker group out there sitting on something like this or any other dirt they love to dig up on their own team, waiting for an appropriate time to leak it somewhere, then those people are garbage. It sickens me that the main adversary of the Huskers has become the Huskers.

I don't disagree with you at all.

I don't know that there is a recording, only that there are rumblings of a recording.  I hope there isn't.  We don't need that.

:ph34r: I'm with Dimes and HB on this!  Terran Petteway certainly has his (well-publicized) flaws, but, in addition to being someone of high character (as are all the Team members) is the main reason we were able to make our Tournament run last season. 

I've all but given up on trying to defend Terran on some other boards I frequent.  It seems the resident 'Experts' (or at least those who have been on the board the longest) have determined he is a 'ball-hog,' not a 'team-player,' and even someone they would just as soon not have on their team!   And for some reason, Miles refuses to impose discipline on the team.

Then, it just seems to feed on itself! " Yeah!    Yeah!!   Yeah,  Bench 'em!"  (echo, repeat)

I'm just a Noob, but I think I've learned enough here to believe if you bench Petteway to 'teach him a lesson,'  the games you've been losing by single-digits will quickly become those you'll start losing by double-digits.

Best Wishes to Terran, whatever he decides! 

If TP visits any of the forums (and he shouldn't) I at least hope it is this one.