Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

Hammonds with a year under his belt may blossom and be that supporting guy.  He really could have used a RS.

It makes me wonder why he wasn't redshirted. One reason could be that Miles doesn't want to have him on scholarship for 5 years. Perhaps Miles believes that role / spot players shouldn't take up a scholarship for 5 years. 

I agree. Looks like Hammond only played a total of 36 minutes this season. Clearly he needs to put on some weight.

Viz. Hammond situation: It may be helpful to remember Kaminsky was a three star Rivals recruit who averaged 1.8 ppg in his freshman year and 4.5 his soph year and seemed to do fairly well without the benefit of a redshirt. So it is not inconceivable for a tall player with the right mind set to develop exponentially while in college.

Hammond got a bad rap this year.  I saw nothing but capable when I watched him play.  He's a good defender, athletic, solid IQ, high motor, etc.  He just needs another 15lbs.  That's it.  Contributing anything as a true frosh big is pretty rare.

Yup. If we land Michael Edwards out of Michigan, it's going to be the same thing. Anyone who is 6'9"+ and ready to go as a freshman is a rarity and probably a 4+ star kid.

Hammond got a bad rap this year.  I saw nothing but capable when I watched him play.  He's a good defender, athletic, solid IQ, high motor, etc.  He just needs another 15lbs.  That's it.  Contributing anything as a true frosh big is pretty rare.

Yup. If we land Michael Edwards out of Michigan, it's going to be the same thing. Anyone who is 6'9"+ and ready to go as a freshman is a rarity and probably a 4+ star kid.

Or go to Kentucky and be in the NBA the next year.;)

Or go to Kentucky and be in the NBA the next year. ;)

And the checkbook Kentucky can open up with no salary cap restrictions. :D

Am I the only one who imagines Willie Cauley-Stein as a fellow Husker to roomie Shavon Shields? Wow, that would (have) be(en) fantastic!

should be a plus because that was funny. Sorry about the fat finger vote.

I took care of it for you, silver.

I took care of it for you, silver.

Thanks Normie.

Sounds like the ncaa is doing away with the automatic 5th year transfer rule starting next season. FWIW.

I thought I read "graduate transfers" would still be immediately eligible.  But guys transferring to get "closer to home" would no longer be eligible for exemptions that would allow them to play right away.  I could be wrong.

Sounds like the ncaa is doing away with the automatic 5th year transfer rule starting next season. FWIW.

I thought I read "graduate transfers" would still be immediately eligible.  But guys transferring to get "closer to home" would no longer be eligible for exemptions that would allow them to play right away.  I could be wrong.

I think we need some more clarification but I think the Russell Wilson rule is still in effect.

I think we need some more clarification but I think the Russell Wilson rule is still in effect.

The way it has been explained to me by someone intimately familiar with the NCAA guidelines is that once a student signs the scholarship paperwork, the student is not allowed to participate in team activities with another school until the student has received a release. This rule also applies to graduate transfers such as Russell Wilson who had to be released from NC State in order to play for Wisconsin.

The way it has been explained to me by someone intimately familiar with the NCAA guidelines is that once a student signs the scholarship paperwork, the student is not allowed to participate in team activities with another school until the student has received a release. This rule also applies to graduate transfers such as Russell Wilson who had to be released from NC State in order to play for Wisconsin.

When it's put that way, it sounds like the NCAA is giving universities the power to hold students hostage if they want. If the issue is too many financially exploited kids exploiting a NCAA loophole, this sounds like a NCAA type fix. Am I being too cynical here?

I thought I read "graduate transfers" would still be immediately eligible. But guys transferring to get "closer to home" would no longer be eligible for exemptions that would allow them to play right away. I could be wrong.

But once you graduate are you being released from your scholarship? I thought those players were just free to choose what they wanted. Are they really being released from anything?