Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

Take the money Petteway. D- league or not. We know you work hard. Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money.

Do it. You're in a no-win situation at NU. You've had the weight put on your shoulders. Your limitations are out of your hands. You can't build the roster around you. You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

I want you to stay, but... if you haven't came out and said it already you clearly know what the best option is.

I read the average salary in the D-league for an entire season is 12K-24K. Yeah, that's not going to get him very far. If it's about money, he would be better off using his degree to get a normal job. Assuming Europe is not in the equation.
Ok but let's forget about the money (or lack thereof) for a second and think about which is the best forum for TP to showcase his skills. What is the best proving ground? Is the quickest potential path for TP to the nba to come back to Nebraska and play another full season in an ideally (for Nebraska) more efficient and less load-bearing role against college kids or is it best to prove himself against other pros who are trying to make it? This would also be without the restriction of a full season college commitment where he could be picked up and signed to an NBA team, 10-day contracts and such, if he has proven himself worthy of such and get a foot in the door with a team, work his way in that way. In no way is Nebraska a viable option if he's thinking in terms of how quickly he could potentially get to the league. I don't think money he would be making as a D-leaguer has any sway on his decision whatsoever.

This line of thinking does not go along with what I have been told.  TP has two main focuses (1) proximity to his mother and (2) play in the NBA.  By "NBA", I mean the National Basketball Association and not the D-League. If TP receives assurances (which from what I have been told he has not at this time) that he will be drafted, TP will declare for the NBA.  If he receives no assurances that he will be drafted, TP's next preference is to play his last year closer to his mother.  If he is unable to do that (the potential for a problem exists), TP will stay at Nebraska.  

Take the money Petteway. D- league or not. We know you work hard. Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money.

Do it. You're in a no-win situation at NU. You've had the weight put on your shoulders. Your limitations are out of your hands. You can't build the roster around you. You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

I want you to stay, but... if you haven't came out and said it already you clearly know what the best option is.

I read the average salary in the D-league for an entire season is 12K-24K. Yeah, that's not going to get him very far. If it's about money, he would be better off using his degree to get a normal job. Assuming Europe is not in the equation.
Ok but let's forget about the money (or lack thereof) for a second and think about which is the best forum for TP to showcase his skills. What is the best proving ground? Is the quickest potential path for TP to the nba to come back to Nebraska and play another full season in an ideally (for Nebraska) more efficient and less load-bearing role against college kids or is it best to prove himself against other pros who are trying to make it? This would also be without the restriction of a full season college commitment where he could be picked up and signed to an NBA team, 10-day contracts and such, if he has proven himself worthy of such and get a foot in the door with a team, work his way in that way. In no way is Nebraska a viable option if he's thinking in terms of how quickly he could potentially get to the league. I don't think money he would be making as a D-leaguer has any sway on his decision whatsoever.

This line of thinking does not go along with what I have been told.  TP has two main focuses (1) proximity to his mother and (2) play in the NBA.  By "NBA", I mean the National Basketball Association and not the D-League. If TP receives assurances (which from what I have been told he has not at this time) that he will be drafted, TP will declare for the NBA.  If he receives no assurances that he will be drafted, TP's next preference is to play his last year closer to his mother.  If he is unable to do that (the potential for a problem exists), TP will stay at Nebraska.  

TP already said he won't use the 5th year senior thing.  Its NBA or Nebraska.

TP already said he won't use the 5th year senior thing.  Its NBA or Nebraska.

Just sharing what I have been told.  If I am wrong, I will admit it.

I spoke with my friend this morning and was authorized to share the following.  

1.  Petteway wants to be closer to his mother next year (which the Nebraska completely understands and sympathizes with the situation).  However, due to stuff outside of both Petteway and Nebraska's control, Petteway will return to Nebraska if he is unable to play next season closer to his mother.  The NBA is not a consideration at this point (of course that could always change).  

2.  It still sounds like Tai could possibly leave as well.  I would be surprised if any other players left.

3.  If Petteway and/or Tai leave, expect the staff to target graduate transfers, specifically big men, instead of high school or JUCO kids.  

Please understand I am limited with what I can share.  As things unfold (or if I am given permission), I will share more details.  

I can't believe this rumor persists despite the fact that TP has said it is Nebraska or NBA. 

BTW, this isn't the first place I've seen this rumor posted.

Here is the tweet that I remember seeing BTW

Yes and since that time, I have been told something else. 

Interesting... Not saying you are wrong because I could totally see that changing.  That tweet was right after our last loss so I could see emotions playing into why he said that.

TP has given zero indication that he is low character or dishonest. Give him the benefit of the doubt. It's the least he deserves.

Given the circumstances, if he changed his mind and does the transfer thing, I wouldn't say it's a dishonest thing. There could be other circumstances that have arisen. For example, if his mom's situation worsens, he may try to play closer to home.

TP has given zero indication that he is low character or dishonest. Give him the benefit of the doubt. It's the least he deserves.

Given the circumstances, if he changed his mind and does the transfer thing, I wouldn't say it's a dishonest thing. There could be other circumstances that have arisen. For example, if his mom's situation worsens, he may try to play closer to home.

Well, there's a simple solution.  Let's make his home closer to Lincoln.  We can start a fund to pay for his family's housing here in Nebraska. Hell, our weather is warmer than that crap they have in Texas, anyway.  Screw the NCAA and their heartless regulations.  They fight this, it just gives the Power Conferences one more reason to tell them to pack sand.  I'd gladly contribute financially to this cause.

I'm cip, and I approved this message.

Here is the tweet that I remember seeing BTW

Yes and since that time, I have been told something else. 

Interesting... Not saying you are wrong because I could totally see that changing.  That tweet was right after our last loss so I could see emotions playing into why he said that.

I do not mind being called out.  I am just posting what I am allowed to share.  If I am wrong, then I received bad information.  I did not know this rumor was share elsewhere and you do have my word this board is the only one I have posted any basketball inside information.  Further, I am not resharing information I read on another board.  My contact has been spot on all season but things always change.  I wish I could share more but am not allowed.

There's really no benefit for him to come out and admit publically that he's considering a Sr. transfer if he isn't 100% sure he's leaving.  It's something he'd be better off sorting out behind the scenes and not publically in the media.  Especially with the chance he may return. It wouldn't be your typcial transfer situation where a kid leaves because he's disgruntled or wants to play at a big time school. 

This has been gone over time and time again but a big factor here is age. The first round of the NBA draft is based so much on potential of young players that TP as a 24 year old has a 0.00000000001% chance of "playing his way into the first round" by playing at Nebraska next season and having an incredible year. I see no way he returns here to prove himself. The only way he would return would be out of loyalty and unfinished business.

While yeah, I don't think it's highly likely that he will play his way into round 1, I think it's his best shot - as opposed to leaving early and toiling in obscurity for who knows how long. 

Terran will be 23 at the time of the draft.  His birthday is 10/8/1992.

Honestly ajb and kamdy - you guys are throwing out generalizations about age when you really don't seem to have really looked into what you're talking about.

Look at last year alone:

-Adrienne Payne played his way into the first round, was 23 at time of draft.  I don't think he was on many draft boards prior to last year.  

-Shabazz Napier - similar, turned 23 shortly after the draft and came out of nowhere last season into to round 1.

-CJ Wilcox was picked in the first round and was about 50 days older than Terran will be at the time of the draft

Yes - in general the guys picked really high are early entrants.  5th year seniors are indeed a dying breed. But to say there is basically no chance of him playing into the first round because of his age is just dumb.

While I agree the league wants guys who are younger to develop have for several years, it would be interesting to see how many guys in the NBA who play more than say 5 years play their entire career on one team.  IF Petteway can improve his shooting and ball handling coming back to college and play himself into a 1st rounder I think it would behoove him to do so.  Heck does and at 23 when he is drafted.  Say he plays 7 years in the league, if he invests and manages his money he could be set for life.  If he plays that time frame and manages money poorly, he has a degree to fall back on.

There's really no benefit for him to come out and admit publically that he's considering a Sr. transfer if he isn't 100% sure he's leaving.  It's something he'd be better off sorting out behind the scenes and not publically in the media.  Especially with the chance he may return. It wouldn't be your typcial transfer situation where a kid leaves because he's disgruntled or wants to play at a big time school. 

As I have said before, for TP to transfer, there is an issue which needs to be resolved that is outside of TP and Nebraska's control.  It would not surprise me if that is the reason why TP told Lee B. a transfer is out of the question.  

I will keep sharing whatever info I am allowed.  Every time I talk to my source, I always ask if I can specifically post on this board.  Most of the time, I am told "no" and the few times I am permitted, I have to vet the wording before I can post anything.  One exception though, I am allowed to confirm or controvert information already posted.  

Thanks for the information Donkey!! Assuming what you are saying is true, it seems to me that there must be a NCAA or conference obstacle that he is trying to maneuver around. Considering he started his career at a Big 12 school, I wonder if his preferred school (closer to home) is also in the Big 12 and they have special rules regarding transferring between BIg 12 members that he is trying to circumvent?

Not sure of all the rules regarding senior transfers, but aren't there some prerequisite situations that have to exist regarding graduate school programs, etc?  For example, the new school offers a program the old school doesn't?  Or it could be as simple as trying to open up a roster spot/scholarship at his school of choice.  Hard to knock a kid in his situation, so I hope whatever happens turns out well for TP and his family.