Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

i will just say that the idea that his age is going to drastically effect him getting drafted isn't accurate.

If he comes back next year and has an unbelievable season, he will get looks in the 1st round.

pablo prigioni played in his first nba game at age 35.

nba cares more about your skills than your age.

A playoff contender would gladly draft a seasoned 23 year old in the 1st round if they believe he can help them win.

As much as I want to agree with you, this is not all that accurate.  The NBA is about money.  There's no if's, and's, or but's about it.  If there is a 19 year old kid that may be slightly less talented and developed at the time next year, most teams will take him because of upside than taking a 23 year old.  That's just how it is these days.  In many cases, players are looked down upon for staying in school all 4 years.  I hate that this is the way it is, but its true.

Ultimately it's about money but the draft is ultimately about pulling in potential difference makers. Thus, the problem with Petteway is that at 23 it's harder to see him being a bigger difference maker than someone like Melo Trimble or D'Angelo Russell.

Terran needed to and took a lot of shots for us because he's one of our best players. He also took a lot of low percentage shots for us and it hurt not only the team at points but also his draft stock. Shabazz Napier turned himself from a fringe draft pick into a guy being tweeted about by LeBron James by making it into the NCAA tourney and winning. Petteway potentially could win with this group next year but a function of his success and the teams' success will be reeling in his game...taking less shots...taking better shots.

I absolutely do not want him to leave. I think he's been the biggest part of this teams past success and would be a key part of next years.  However, it's hard to see him being marginally better next year than this year if he doesn't make some adjustments. If he's unwilling/uncapable of adjusting, it's tough to see him increasing his draft stock and he very well might be better off trying to make a camp right now.

I agree. But it will be at a different program IMO. You did not mention that option. Some rumors floating around that Sampson has been in touch with his AAU coach. Would not surprise me considering he is a sleeze ball.

https://twitter.com/leebeeowh/status/575678768192294914

If true I think the chances of him staying are much better. Will be interesting to see what happens...with that tweet I lean towards him staying at NU.

When you say "rumors floating around" are you reading this on twitter, other sites, talking to someone, or what?

Talking to someone who typically has pretty solid information. But TP doesn't really seem like the type of kid to let something like that get out and I don't really have any reason to not trust Lee B's sources. With that said Lee B said INTERNALLY...but I can't imagine TP going behind the staff's back. But I can imagine someone like Kelvin Sampson communicating with TP's AAU coach.

Terry Petteway, his dad, was his AAU coach.

I agree. But it will be at a different program IMO. You did not mention that option. Some rumors floating around that Sampson has been in touch with his AAU coach. Would not surprise me considering he is a sleeze ball.

https://twitter.com/leebeeowh/status/575678768192294914
If true I think the chances of him staying are much better. Will be interesting to see what happens...with that tweet I lean towards him staying at NU.
When you say "rumors floating around" are you reading this on twitter, other sites, talking to someone, or what?
Talking to someone who typically has pretty solid information. But TP doesn't really seem like the type of kid to let something like that get out and I don't really have any reason to not trust Lee B's sources. With that said Lee B said INTERNALLY...but I can't imagine TP going behind the staff's back. But I can imagine someone like Kelvin Sampson communicating with TP's AAU coach.
Terry Petteway, his dad, was his AAU coach.

Then no way that information is correct then. But Petteway squashed any rumors of him going to a different program.

Another year would probably do him good but not sure how much.  I think he will have to prove himself in the D league or overseas.  Unless he were to be Big 10 player of the year plus being in the conversation as national player of the year.  Either way, he can/will make money playing basketball.

Like I said in a different thread (or maybe earlier in this one) if he believes in himself and his ability to get to the NBA, he should come back.  A strong performance next year will be his best ticket to getting drafted.  Next year, we should have some better supporting elements.  Better rebounding with Morrow (in place of Rivers).  Better shooting with White (in place of whomever).  Yet to be seen whether Walt can give us some kind of post presence.  Uncertain whether Hammond can be that guy or not. 

In any case, I think there's a real opportunity for Terran to return and play for a better team that doesn't rely so heavily on him to create all of its offense, which will allow him, in turn, to take better shots and be more efficient.  Far more efficient.

Hammonds with a year under his belt may blossom and be that supporting guy.  He really could have used a RS.

It makes me wonder why he wasn't redshirted. One reason could be that Miles doesn't want to have him on scholarship for 5 years. Perhaps Miles believes that role / spot players shouldn't take up a scholarship for 5 years. 

Hammonds with a year under his belt may blossom and be that supporting guy. He really could have used a RS.

Could have used it but going into the year we were very thin on the interior and Miles thought we would need him. Or maybe it was just very appearent to Miles that Hammond wasn't ready, was never going to be ready, and was just saving his RS for his transfer year. Any updates on Hammonds grade situation and will that have an impact on whether he returns?

I spoke with my friend this morning and was authorized to share the following.  

1.  Petteway wants to be closer to his mother next year (which the Nebraska completely understands and sympathizes with the situation).  However, due to stuff outside of both Petteway and Nebraska's control, Petteway will return to Nebraska if he is unable to play next season closer to his mother.  The NBA is not a consideration at this point (of course that could always change).  

2.  It still sounds like Tai could possibly leave as well.  I would be surprised if any other players left.

3.  If Petteway and/or Tai leave, expect the staff to target graduate transfers, specifically big men, instead of high school or JUCO kids.  

Please understand I am limited with what I can share.  As things unfold (or if I am given permission), I will share more details.  

Or maybe it was just very appearent to Miles that Hammond wasn't ready, was never going to be ready, and was just saving his RS for his transfer year.

Is that an actual consideration that a coaching staff makes? Saving a redshirt for a transfer? I suppose but that really seems counterproductive to the goal of landing viable players.

1.  Petteway wants to be closer to his mother next year (which the Nebraska completely understands and sympathizes with the situation).  However, due to stuff outside of both Petteway and Nebraska's control, Petteway will return to Nebraska if he is unable to play next season closer to his mother.  The NBA is not a consideration at this point (of course that could always change).  

2.  It still sounds like Tai could possibly leave as well.  I would be surprised if any other players left.

3.  If Petteway and/or Tai leave, expect the staff to target graduate transfers, specifically big men, instead of high school or JUCO kids.  

Please understand I am limited with what I can share.  As things unfold (or if I am given permission), I will share more details.  

Thanks for the info.  In regards to Petteway he said he would not play for any other college besides Nebraska.  So if he wants to be closer to his mom, and NBA is not an option.  What other option is there besides Nebraska?

Or maybe it was just very appearent to Miles that Hammond wasn't ready, was never going to be ready, and was just saving his RS for his transfer year.

Is that an actual consideration that a coaching staff makes? Saving a redshirt for a transfer? I suppose but that really seems counterproductive to the goal of landing viable players.

I doubt they present it that way but what about a guy like Vooch? Do coaches decide if a player is worth redshirting? As in, is this player one coaches want for 5 years? Do coaches think like that? I bet they do. They just obviously won't speak of it in those terms. So this year it was explained that Hammond couldn't redshirt because we needed help inside and then he doesn't leave the bench to help inside hardly at all. What do we think the real thoughts were on Hammond? Was it a huge surprise that Hammond wasn't ready to contribute even a minute? I doubt it.

i will just say that the idea that his age is going to drastically effect him getting drafted isn't accurate.

If he comes back next year and has an unbelievable season, he will get looks in the 1st round.

pablo prigioni played in his first nba game at age 35.

nba cares more about your skills than your age.

A playoff contender would gladly draft a seasoned 23 year old in the 1st round if they believe he can help them win.

As much as I want to agree with you, this is not all that accurate.  The NBA is about money.  There's no if's, and's, or but's about it.  If there is a 19 year old kid that may be slightly less talented and developed at the time next year, most teams will take him because of upside than taking a 23 year old.  That's just how it is these days.  In many cases, players are looked down upon for staying in school all 4 years.  I hate that this is the way it is, but its true.

Think it comes down to how the two of you want to define "drastically."  I think the answer lies somewhere in between your stances. 

Thanks for the info.  In regards to Petteway he said he would not play for any other college besides Nebraska.  So if he wants to be closer to his mom, and NBA is not an option.  What other option is there besides Nebraska?

Based upon what I was told today, Petteway would move on as a graduate transfer.

It does him no good to say he wants to transfer at this point if you think about it.  Then if it doesn't unfold and he is back it wouldn't look great.  A transfer is obviously still in play.  Lets hope for the best. 

I think Petteway leaves. If he does, then I hope miles targets a center that is eligible next season.

If Tai leaves, Miles needs to grab marcus marshall from missouri state. He has one year left. He wont be eligible next season (2015-2016), but he will be the following season (2016-2017). In '16-'17, Shields will have already graduated. Marshall would be a great scoring option to fill in for Shields (he averaged 19 ppg at missouri st)

Take the money Petteway.  D- league or not.  We know you work hard.  Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money. 

Do it.  You're in a no-win situation at NU.  You've had the weight put on your shoulders.  Your limitations are out of your hands.  You can't build the roster around you.  You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

I want you to stay, but... if you haven't came out and said it already you clearly know what the best option is.

Take the money Petteway.  D- league or not.  We know you work hard.  Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money. 

Do it.  You're in a no-win situation at NU.  You've had the weight put on your shoulders.  Your limitations are out of your hands.  You can't build the roster around you.  You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

I want you to stay, but... if you haven't came out and said it already you clearly know what the best option is.

I don't get the "no-win situation at NU" comment. I really like Petteway but I think he wanted the weight put on his shoulders. He didn't deliver. It certainly wasn't all his fault but if you want to be the man (I believe he did - could be wrong) you get much of the credit when you succeed and much of the responsibility will fall on you if you fail. As a team this year we failed to meet expectation by a long way so he is going to get a chunk of the blame on his shoulders.

As well I think the "Your limitations are out of your hands" comments is confusing. None of his limitations were things that were out of his hands. He physically has the tools and he worked his butt off physically. Many of the shortcomings in his game were certainly things he could work on and develop. Moving off the ball and shot selection are things completely in his control. He can't control the dip in Walter's shooting form but there was much in his control.

I appreciate the new perspective and hope that he brought to Nebraska Basketball and will respect any decision he makes. I wish him luck wherever he is playing next year, but especially if he is still playing at Nebraska.

Take the money Petteway. D- league or not. We know you work hard. Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money.

Do it. You're in a no-win situation at NU. You've had the weight put on your shoulders. Your limitations are out of your hands. You can't build the roster around you. You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

He will. He's moving on. He will not be at Nebraska next year. That is my prediction.

I read the average salary in the D-league for an entire season is 12K-24K.  Yeah, that's not going to get him very far.  If it's about money, he would be better off using his degree to get a normal job.  Assuming Europe is not in the equation. 

I still am in the camp that his stock is not that high now and it could only go up with a successful senior season.  

If he goes now, yeah maybe he toils in the D-league and gets on a roster in a few years.  Or goes overseas and makes a couple hundred grand (if that) a year.

To me, he's got much better odds at increasing his stock and getting into first round territory and getting to the NBA via that path if he stays.  If he stays and has another similar year to this and his stock is flat, the D-league and overseas will still be there.  Barring injury of course.

Take the money Petteway. D- league or not. We know you work hard. Whether you bust ass in D-league or stay and put in time at college the only difference is money.

Do it. You're in a no-win situation at NU. You've had the weight put on your shoulders. Your limitations are out of your hands. You can't build the roster around you. You can take money and help your family in whatever way possible.

I read the average salary in the D-league for an entire season is 12K-24K. Yeah, that's not going to get him very far. If it's about money, he would be better off using his degree to get a normal job. Assuming Europe is not in the equation.
Ok but let's forget about the money (or lack thereof) for a second and think about which is the best forum for TP to showcase his skills. What is the best proving ground? Is the quickest potential path for TP to the nba to come back to Nebraska and play another full season in an ideally (for Nebraska) more efficient and less load-bearing role against college kids or is it best to prove himself against other pros who are trying to make it? This would also be without the restriction of a full season college commitment where he could be picked up and signed to an NBA team, 10-day contracts and such, if he has proven himself worthy of such and get a foot in the door with a team, work his way in that way. In no way is Nebraska a viable option if he's thinking in terms of how quickly he could potentially get to the league. I don't think money he would be making as a D-leaguer has any sway on his decision whatsoever.

This has been gone over time and time again but a big factor here is age. The first round of the NBA draft is based so much on potential of young players that TP as a 24 year old has a 0.00000000001% chance of "playing his way into the first round" by playing at Nebraska next season and having an incredible year. I see no way he returns here to prove himself. The only way he would return would be out of loyalty and unfinished business.