Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

Pros-Staying:

1. Another year in college. 

Cons-Staying:

3. Another year in college. I remember when I was a senior and I couldn't wait to graduate even though I didn't even really have anything lined up.

So, based on your criteria...Does my 6 1/2 year student hiatus in Lincoln mean I am a pro...and not a con?

If TP decides to stay for another year he will likely opt not to officially graduate, especially since he'll have all of his credits. He can take a bunch of classes like weightlifting, golf etc that will have zero homework, just show up.

If TP walks the stage then he would have 2 options; 1.) he could transfer to a school closer to home as a graduate student. This would require taking some actual classes. This is to me is the real wild card; 2.) he could try to make his living playing basketball.

Based on the above here are the Pros & Cons of him going pro.

Pros-Staying:

1. Another year in college. 

2. He'll have a much better surrounding cast which would take a lot of pressure and focus off of him, allowing him to showcase some his skills without always being double teamed. While his points would drop his efficiency would increase. He could also be moved around to different positions to take advantage of mismatches. 

3. Unfinished business. I believe that this season has left a sour taste in his mouth.

4. He will get a lot of positive press even though there wasn't a chance of him going to the NBA.

Pros-Leaving:

1. Potential to take care of his family. Even if he isn't making a lot of $$ it would be better than the nothing that he contributes now which I would bet eats at him.

2. Get away from zone defenses and show that his skill set is built for the NBA.

3. Be able to work full time as a player under the care of pro-coaches.

Cons-Staying:

1. He'll be another year older. From an NBA perspective this is not a good thing.

2. He likely won't be the high scorer every single game. Not that he would get lost in the wash but that his name would not be as prominent as it is now.

3. Another year in college. I remember when I was a senior and I couldn't wait to graduate even though I didn't even really have anything lined up.

Cons-Leaving:

1. He was only 3rd team BIG this year. A lot of the luster he had last year has worn off which could easily be regained with a solid '15-'16 season.

2. He will not have the support of his team, University, or fans. He will essentially be on his own. 

3. He will likely have to move even farther away from his family which will be added stress. And where he goes they won't care about him as much as we do here. The atmosphere will be competitive and those around him won't care that much about his family problems.

In the end I believe he has a very difficult decision in front of him. A couple of thoughts about players leaving college early to play either pro basketball or football. Just consider for a moment how you feel about Tyrone Lue vs Erik Strickland and Pike. Think how feel about Ahman Green vs Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead, and Ameer Abdullah. Think of the place they occupy in your mind and heart. Now think of what could have been had they stayed. Think of their elevated status in Husker family if they had stayed. If TP stays he will be talked about in the same breath as the rest of the husker greats like Pike and Hoppen. He would also get a huge celebration on his senior night and his jersey would go up in the rafters. 

Lastly, he will most certainly put his name in the draft. He can always withdraw. This would allow him the opportunity to see where he would actually be drafted without impacting his NCAA status.

I just don't have a firm grasp on what he is going to do. My best guess is that he stays, which is based on the pros and cons from above. In a strange way I believe he will stay because of his family. 

I agree.  But it will be at a different program IMO.  You did not mention that option.  Some rumors floating around that Sampson has been in touch with his AAU coach.  Would not surprise me considering he is a sleeze ball. 

I agree.  But it will be at a different program IMO.  You did not mention that option.  Some rumors floating around that Sampson has been in touch with his AAU coach.  Would not surprise me considering he is a sleeze ball. 

If true I think the chances of him staying are much better.  Will be interesting to see what happens...with that tweet I lean towards him staying at NU. 

If true I think the chances of him staying are much better.  Will be interesting to see what happens...with that tweet I lean towards him staying at NU. 

When you say "rumors floating around" are you reading this on twitter, other sites, talking to someone, or what? 

When you say "rumors floating around" are you reading this on twitter, other sites, talking to someone, or what? 

Talking to someone who typically has pretty solid information.  But TP doesn't really seem like the type of kid to let something like that get out and I don't really have any reason to not trust Lee B's sources.  With that said Lee B said INTERNALLY...but I can't imagine TP going behind the staff's back.  But I can imagine someone like Kelvin Sampson communicating with TP's AAU coach.     

Given TP's relationship with our coaching staff (which seems to be very close) and the fact that we provided him an opporunity when others doubted him, it would have be a pretty strong reason for him to finish his college career elsewhere.  I do give that a chance though, as that strong reason would be to get closer to his mom.  I do not believe it would be any sort of financial pull. 

TP seems to be a very high character kid.  Before this season, he worked his butt off.  I also seem to remember some sort of bet with Coach Miles regarding post-season.  Again, I may be totally off-base, but I kind of believe TP will be back and hell-bent on NCAA tournament wins next year.  Is there a chance he could leave, sure...but I also believe there are two or three other players who may be more prone to transfer rather than TP.

Terran played his butt off each & every time, and for that we should APPRECIATE his talent & effort combined.  The most frustrating part is the team either plays good O or good D, it never seemed to be both clicking at the same time this season. Thanks for being a baller, TP5.  If you move on, we'll miss ya (even if some don't admit to it).

i will just say that the idea that his age is going to drastically effect him getting drafted isn't accurate.

If he comes back next year and has an unbelievable season, he will get looks in the 1st round.

pablo prigioni played in his first nba game at age 35.

nba cares more about your skills than your age.

A playoff contender would gladly draft a seasoned 23 year old in the 1st round if they believe he can help them win.

Very hard for me to imagine a 5th year transfer scenario, given the relationship Miles has cultivated with the Petteway family.  But the people bringing up the age issue has got me thinking the draft scenario is more likely than I thought earlier.

he already said he's not transferring. it's nba or come back.

Very hard for me to imagine a 5th year transfer scenario, given the relationship Miles has cultivated with the Petteway family. But the people bringing up the age issue has got me thinking the draft scenario is more likely than I thought earlier.

Or head to Europe. I don't think NBA is a legit option at this point.

i will just say that the idea that his age is going to drastically effect him getting drafted isn't accurate.

If he comes back next year and has an unbelievable season, he will get looks in the 1st round.

A playoff contender would gladly draft a seasoned 23 year old in the 1st round if they believe he can help them win.

As much as I want to agree with you, this is not all that accurate.  The NBA is about money.  There's no if's, and's, or but's about it.  If there is a 19 year old kid that may be slightly less talented and developed at the time next year, most teams will take him because of upside than taking a 23 year old.  That's just how it is these days.  In many cases, players are looked down upon for staying in school all 4 years.  I hate that this is the way it is, but its true.

The last 23-year-old college student who got drafted was . . . well, good luck. Your 35-year-old had a track record overseas. TP is going to have to play D league or overseas to get to the NBA. If he returns to NU, it's because of family issues. If he wants to play professionally, he goes. I'm just happy he's ruled out going somewhere else for his final year of college.

Damian Lillard, JJ Redick, Chandler Parsons, David West, Tim Duncan...

Those are all current 4-year guys.  They'd be a contender. 

Personally, I think TP stays.  If he's got AWIII and Watson to kick to, he and Shavon are going to get to the rim all day.  The guy is a competitor, and I think he feels like he has unfinished business here.  Wish him the best regardless, but if you look at a long-term investment (like, beyond the next 10 years), free grad school is nothing to scoff at, and may actually be a better investment in the long run if an injury (God forbid) or something were to happen.  Also, he has the opportunity to go out as one of NU's all-time greats and break some records.  Those sorts of accomplishments give you connections for a lifetime.  I'm happy for him regardless of what he decides. 

Very hard for me to imagine a 5th year transfer scenario, given the relationship Miles has cultivated with the Petteway family. But the people bringing up the age issue has got me thinking the draft scenario is more likely than I thought earlier.

LJS article did say NBA or back to Nebraska...

Well, that's not really his choice.

He can declare and not get drafted...then no NBA or Nebraska.  That probably means Europe.

I'm sure he prefers the NBA. And if he wants that to be his only option then I'd say it's pretty certain he will be back at Nebraska. Does anyone really forsee him in the NBA at this point? I'm sure he will throw his name in the ring to get evaluated and will get similar feedback to what he recieved last year.

I'm sure he prefers the NBA. And if he wants that to be his only option then I'd say it's pretty certain he will be back at Nebraska. Does anyone really forsee him in the NBA at this point? I'm sure he will throw his name in the ring to get evaluated and will get similar feedback to what he recieved last year.

I tend to agree that he will check it out...