Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

He would be 24 next year for the NBA draft.  He would have to improve in quite a few areas of his game to become a 24 year old first round draft pick.  The first round has essentially become the potential round with the young guys going based on potential and not necessarily on who they are today.  Very few exceptions like a Doug McDermott are getting that first round draft spot at the older ages anymore.

So... without directly saying it, you think he's leaving this year, Kamdy?

Nailed it Norm (except IMO when he was sober and focused Jaron Boon was a better shooter than TP even at his best.)    I think the only reason TP would leave is if he wants to be close to home for him mom next season.  I don't thinkt hat would be in his best interest from a basketball career standpoint, but obviously would understand it if he made that decision.

Jaron better from the perimeter, I agree.

1st two levels?  Terran all the way.

When does Terran graduate?  Will it be during or after next season, or before?  If he graduates before next season, yet still retains a year of eligibility so he could play, I just can't see why he would.  If he's good enough to play professionally and he's earned his degree, I can't think of what would keep him here to play as a student athlete, other than maybe loyalty?  With him being already 23, and given his family situation, he's got to decide what to do, but it seems like kind of any easy one to me.

...dammit.

He would be 24 next year for the NBA draft.  He would have to improve in quite a few areas of his game to become a 24 year old first round draft pick.  The first round has essentially become the potential round with the young guys going based on potential and not necessarily on who they are today.  Very few exceptions like a Doug McDermott are getting that first round draft spot at the older ages anymore.

This is the biggest issue. He's never going to be a first-rounder, certainly not by staying another year. It makes sense to stay when you're an underclassmen, not when you've already been in college four years. If he stays, it's to be with his family or (hopefully) because he likes playing here.

Im saying it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see him leave.  He has a ton on his plate with family, coming back, pursuing his dream etc to really get a good gauge on what he might decide.  Either way I wish him well because without him we are still on a drought for the NCAA tournament.

I do not believe TP will go pro. I do think there is a possibility that he could leverage the senior transfer rule and try to go closer to home for his final year.  I am guessing he is 70/30 favorable to him staying.

Could totally see him transferring if doctors believe his mom may not last very long.

When does Terran graduate?  Will it be during or after next season, or before?  If he graduates before next season, yet still retains a year of eligibility so he could play, I just can't see why he would.  If he's good enough to play professionally and he's earned his degree, I can't think of what would keep him here to play as a student athlete, other than maybe loyalty?  With him being already 23, and given his family situation, he's got to decide what to do, but it seems like kind of any easy one to me.

...dammit.

He graduates in May so he would have to take graduate level classes in order to be eligible to play next season.

...dammit.

He graduates in May so he would have to take graduate level classes in order to be eligible to play next season.

So, he's graduating in 4 years.  How many college students can say that?

...dammit.

So, he's graduating in 4 years.  How many college students can say that?

I'm sure there are a lot of college seniors who say, "Ehh, I'll graduate in 4 years." ;)

I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that we will have an answer to this question by Monday...

Only if he's leaving... if he says he is staying, we won't really know for sure for much longer.
I don't quite follow.

If he announces that he is leaving, then yeah, he's gone. But even if he comes out Monday and announces he is staying, I don't think we'll really know for sure until much closer to the season. There are too many factors at play that could later change his mind (health of mom, graduation, etc.)

If TP decides to stay for another year he will likely opt not to officially graduate, especially since he'll have all of his credits. He can take a bunch of classes like weightlifting, golf etc that will have zero homework, just show up.

If TP walks the stage then he would have 2 options; 1.) he could transfer to a school closer to home as a graduate student. This would require taking some actual classes. This is to me is the real wild card; 2.) he could try to make his living playing basketball.

Based on the above here are the Pros & Cons of him going pro.

Pros-Staying:

1. Another year in college. 

2. He'll have a much better surrounding cast which would take a lot of pressure and focus off of him, allowing him to showcase some his skills without always being double teamed. While his points would drop his efficiency would increase. He could also be moved around to different positions to take advantage of mismatches. 

3. Unfinished business. I believe that this season has left a sour taste in his mouth.

4. He will get a lot of positive press even though there wasn't a chance of him going to the NBA.

Pros-Leaving:

1. Potential to take care of his family. Even if he isn't making a lot of $$ it would be better than the nothing that he contributes now which I would bet eats at him.

2. Get away from zone defenses and show that his skill set is built for the NBA.

3. Be able to work full time as a player under the care of pro-coaches.

Cons-Staying:

1. He'll be another year older. From an NBA perspective this is not a good thing.

2. He likely won't be the high scorer every single game. Not that he would get lost in the wash but that his name would not be as prominent as it is now.

3. Another year in college. I remember when I was a senior and I couldn't wait to graduate even though I didn't even really have anything lined up.

Cons-Leaving:

1. He was only 3rd team BIG this year. A lot of the luster he had last year has worn off which could easily be regained with a solid '15-'16 season.

2. He will not have the support of his team, University, or fans. He will essentially be on his own. 

3. He will likely have to move even farther away from his family which will be added stress. And where he goes they won't care about him as much as we do here. The atmosphere will be competitive and those around him won't care that much about his family problems.

In the end I believe he has a very difficult decision in front of him. A couple of thoughts about players leaving college early to play either pro basketball or football. Just consider for a moment how you feel about Tyrone Lue vs Erik Strickland and Pike. Think how feel about Ahman Green vs Roy Helu, Rex Burkhead, and Ameer Abdullah. Think of the place they occupy in your mind and heart. Now think of what could have been had they stayed. Think of their elevated status in Husker family if they had stayed. If TP stays he will be talked about in the same breath as the rest of the husker greats like Pike and Hoppen. He would also get a huge celebration on his senior night and his jersey would go up in the rafters. 

Lastly, he will most certainly put his name in the draft. He can always withdraw. This would allow him the opportunity to see where he would actually be drafted without impacting his NCAA status.

I just don't have a firm grasp on what he is going to do. My best guess is that he stays, which is based on the pros and cons from above. In a strange way I believe he will stay because of his family. 

My biggest reason I think TP should stay...a chance to be a legend.  Do something that has never been done before here at Nebraska, win a NCAA tournament game.  Story's will be told to kids and grandkids like we talk about 90-91, winning the big 8 tourney, winning the NIT, Piatkowski, Reid, King, Strickland, etc.  Not going to get that going over seas or the NBA.