Will he stay or will he go?

ajb5856

Petteway. Time will tell. There are many many factors. These are my thoughts but I think he's gone. He didn't help himself out this year and play his way into a selection in the first two rounds (obviously). If you know how the nba draft works, you know that many of the players selected outside of the lottery picks are stashed players that are a couple years out from being in the league. Just because you are drafted you are not guaranteed a roster spot. Much of a players draft stock is determined by perceived potential of young players. Petteway is already older. He gains nothing (in my opinion) by coming back. He ages another year, he ideally (for Nebraska) would play in a different role (less shots, more effective) and so his numbers would actually decrease in coming back. And then he's got the family issue with his mom. Bottom line is he isn't getting drafted whether he comes out this year or returns for next season. His fastest path to the nba is probably to go play professionally somewhere, go work on his game, and try to work his way into the league in that fashion.

Good luck to Terran Petteway on his decision. I'm just thankful that he has been a Husker for the last 3 seasons.

His entire family was at the final home game this season, which could be perceived as his "Senior day" since he's been in school for 4 years. Wish TP5 had played better for those in attendance on his behalf, but he gave it his all each & every game for Nebrasketball. Hope everything works out well, whatever he decides is best for himself and his family.

He'll go overseas and make money. He will put name out for nba, but won't get drafted and will head the overseas route. Just don't see him coming back as he has family he wants to care for and be there when he can. He's also accomplished getting his degree. As much as I would love to have him back I feel there's a 20-25% chance he comes back.

He'll go overseas and make money. He will put name out for nba, but won't get drafted and will head the overseas route. Just don't see him coming back as he has family he wants to care for and be there when he can. He's also accomplished getting his degree. As much as I would love to have him back I feel there's a 20-25% chance he comes back.

Again I ask how he can "be there" for his family if he's in Europe? And if you mean being there financially: I don't think rookies even make six figures over there.

It seems like a no brainer that he will come back, IMO.

He can still get a lot better, and the big 10 is as good as any place to showcase your talent.

This team as a whole still has a lot to accomplish as well, and a lot of talent coming in.

rookie d-league players make $13k a season, so i wouldn't be in a hurry to go that route.

and as others have said, it would be tough to go to Europe right now with his mom being sick.

That's kind of how I see it as well.

Imagine TP gaurding Durant, Kobe, LeBron and then tell me what you think about him leaving for the NBA... 

Does that mean 98% of the league shouldn't be in the league?

My point is he might NEVER be an NBA type player. Would one more year at NU improve his game enough to be a 1st round pick? The gap between a good college player and even a serviceable NBA player is immense. I wish nothing but the best for this young man.

This thread seems eerily similar to the NCAA/NIT threads.

Perhaps but the talk of whether or not a player on our team might go pro is quite refreshing.

When TP does make the announcement the I'll be more interested in hearing when he made the decision as opposed to the actual decision. 

Imagine TP gaurding Durant, Kobe, LeBron and then tell me what you think about him leaving for the NBA... 

Does that mean 98% of the league shouldn't be in the league?

My point is he might NEVER be an NBA type player. Would one more year at NU improve his game enough to be a 1st round pick? The gap between a good college player and even a serviceable NBA player is immense. I wish nothing but the best for this young man.

I actually think his type of style of play fits better in the NBA than it does in college.

Unless he is projected as a solid 1st round pick, he won't (and would be unwise) to go.  Automatically get a guaranteed deal on the rookie scale.

If he doesn't get drafted or gets picked 2nd round there's no guarantee he will get paid.

I think he'll be back, unless somebody is giving him really bad advice.

Unless he is projected as a solid 1st round pick, he won't (and would be unwise) to go.  Automatically get a guaranteed deal on the rookie scale.

If he doesn't get drafted or gets picked 2nd round there's no guarantee he will get paid.

Maybe not, but I think he has played himself out of the NBA draft.  What people are speculating on is if he will turn pro and go overseas.  Which is a real possibility. 

I do not believe TP will go pro. I do think there is a possibility that he could leverage the senior transfer rule and try to go closer to home for his final year.  I am guessing he is 70/30 favorable to him staying.

Maybe he'll go back to the Red Raiders... weirder things have happened, like Rickey Kreklow turning down a schollie to pay full freight at a private school. Still feels weird, especially knowing the fate of the blue-balled ones. ;)

He would be 24 next year for the NBA draft.  He would have to improve in quite a few areas of his game to become a 24 year old first round draft pick.  The first round has essentially become the potential round with the young guys going based on potential and not necessarily on who they are today.  Very few exceptions like a Doug McDermott are getting that first round draft spot at the older ages anymore.

Think how many players we've had over the years, Jaron Boone, Venson Hamilton etc.,who were BIG time College players that didn't do squat in the Pros. TP certainly has a chance, I just don't think we should assume it's a given.

TP is better than JB.  He's more physical, he's tougher on defense, and when his head isn't up his butt like it appears to have been much of this season, he's a much better shooter than JB.  I have not seen a player with the mid-range game of TP at Nebraska since maybe ever.  Again, he's had kind of a down year this year, but last year?  There was no one I've ever seen in this program who could score off the drive like Terran. 

I'm going to assume he's had a down year this year.  I'm going to assume that this year is the aberration and last year is more of a reflection of his real talent level.  I'm going to assume that, with his mom's health troubles, he's been distracted, didn't have the focus like last year.  Some shooters are streaky, but the ups and downs of streaky shooters happen within a game or over the course of maybe two or three games.  Not over the course of the season.  So this isn't just about being streaky for Terran or Shavon or Walter.

I can see a number of reasons why The Big Three might be down this year:

1.  The pressure of expectations coming back after what they did last year and the desire to surpass last year's record;

2.  Leslee gets injured and can't sub in for Walt, but Moses has stone hands (to carry those stone tablets?);

3.  Walt comes back and isn't shooting for crap (hitting something like 1 of his first 16 treys);

4.  Which snowballs into everybody, including Terran, pressing and trying to force things; so

5.  We had a rough couple of home games in December; which caused

6.  Chemistry to go into the toilet; and

7.  Stay there; and

8.  We were never able to pull ourselves out.

I wonder how much things might have been different if we'd managed to beat UIW and Creighton.

Momentum is a real thing and it works both ways, boys.  When it's with you, everyone feels it and guys start playing over their heads; when you don't got it, a team winds up out of sync and guys play worse than they're capable of.

I firmly believe the talent is better than the record suggests.  Terran is better than his FG% suggests.  When you add in a guy like White, who can take some of the pressure off everyone else to score all the time, things will open up for Terran.

If Terran believes in himself and believes he's capable of being a better player than he showed this year -- of being the guy he showed the potential to be last year -- then it's to his advantage to come back and prove it.

Nailed it Norm (except IMO when he was sober and focused Jaron Boon was a better shooter than TP even at his best.)    I think the only reason TP would leave is if he wants to be close to home for him mom next season.  I don't thinkt hat would be in his best interest from a basketball career standpoint, but obviously would understand it if he made that decision.