WBB: Game #29 vs Ohio State

Row6Seat10

#23 Nebraska Cornhuskers (20-8) vs. Ohio State Buckeyes (20-9)

Sunday, March 1, 4 p.m.
Pinnacle Bank Arena

Social Media:  twitter-bird-16x16.png@HuskersWBB FacebookLogoSmall.png Nebraska Women's Basketball instagram_logo.gif Instagram

Tickets: Huskers.com / 1-800-8-BIG-RED
TV: BTN (Kevin Kugler, Brenda VanLengen)
Live Radio: Husker Sports Network (Matt Coatney, Jeff Griesch)
KRNU-FM 90.3-UNL; KBBK-FM 107.3-Lincoln; KFAB-AM 1110-Omaha; KBRB-AM 1400-Ainsworth; KLIQ-FM 94.5-Hastings; KRVN-AM 880-Lexington; KSWN-FM 93.9-McCook; KHAQ-FM 98.5-North Platte; KNEB-FM 94.1-Scottsbluff; KSID-AM 1340-Sidney
Free Live Audio:
Huskers.com
Live Stats: Huskers.com

B-yJWdpW4AAHuck.jpg

Huskers Hope to Send Seniors Off With Win Against Buckeyes

The Nebraska women’s basketball team closes its 2014-15 home schedule by sending off the most successful senior class in school history when the Huskers take on Ohio State Sunday afternoon in Lincoln.

Tip-off between the Big Red and the Buckeyes at Pinnacle Bank Arena is set for 4 p.m.

Nebraska, which is coming off its most complete game of the season in a 74-50 pounding of Minnesota in Lincoln, will celebrate the careers of Emily Cady, Brandi Jeffery, Tear’a Laudermill and Hailie Sample with Senior Day ceremonies following the game with Ohio State.

The win over Minnesota secured NU’s seniors their fourth consecutive 20-win campaign, becoming the first senior class in school history to accomplish that feat. It was also the 95th win of their impressive careers in Lincoln, establishing a record for the most victories by any class in Husker history.

The senior class has combined for 3,734 points, 2,411 rebounds and 815 assists in their careers. Cady leads the group with 1,396 points, 1,076 rebounds and 301 assists while starting all 128 games over the past four years. Laudermill has joined Cady in NU’s 1,000-point club with 1,086 while adding 291 rebounds and 146 assists. Laudermill has started 58 straight games alongside Cady.

Sample has made 127 starts and owns 700 points, 687 rebounds and 218 assists. Jeffery owns 35 starts, 552 points, 357 rebounds and 150 assists. Together, the seniors have combined for 500 appearances and are 55-10 at home.

A young Ohio State squad is coming off its 20th win of the season with an 88-70 victory at Penn State to improve to 12-5 in the Big Ten. National freshman-of-the-year candidate Kelsey Mitchell leads the Buckeye lineup with 24.4 points. Mitchell is the nation’s leading scorer and leads the nation in three-pointers per game (3.7). She has hit 107 of Ohio State’s 228 three-pointers on the season. She has already scored more than 700 points.

The Buckeyes are averaging 80.6 points per game. The Buckeyes have overcome their inexperience and a rash of preseason injuries to reach the 20-win mark for the first time since 2011-12.

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Ohio State, 7-4, including five consecutive wins.

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers
3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - Sr. - F - 7.4 ppg
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - Sr. - F - 12.2 10.3 rpg
1 - Tear’a Laudermill - 5-9 - Sr. - G - 13.9
5 - Natalie Romeo - 5-7 - Fr. - G - 7.7
13 - Brandi Jeffery - 5-7 - Sr. - G - 7.6

Ohio State Buckeyes
22 - Alexa Hart - 6-3 - Fr. - F - 11.4 ppg
3 - Kelsey Mitchell - 5-8 - Fr. - G - 24.4
13 - Cait Craft - 5-8 - Jr. - G - 7.9
14 - Ameryst Alston - 5-9 - Jr. - G -20.5
20 - Asia Doss - 5-7 - Fr. - G - 5.5

Nebraska fell out of The Associated Press Poll for the first time this season on Monday. The Huskers remained in the USA Today Coaches Top 25 at No. 23,

Nebraska ranks 11th nationally in 2014-15 with 5,686 fans per home game, including one game at Bob Devaney Sports Center

Nebraska ranks No. 4 nationally with 12.4 personal fouls per game.
Nebraska leads the Big Ten with just 13.3 turnovers per game in conference play.
Nebraska is 28-4 all-time at Pinnacle Bank Arena, including 3-3 against top-25 foes. The Huskers are averaging 6,241 fans per game through eight Big Ten home games this season, including a season-high 8,622 fans for a win over Wisconsin.

The Huskers have produced seven 20-win seasons in the last nine years.

With 10 conference wins this season, Nebraska is the only team in the Big Ten to record 10 or more league wins in each of the last four years.

Nebraska is the only school to post four straight winning Big Ten regular seasons.

Emily Cady ranks sixth among active NCAA Division I rebounders and third in NU history with 1,076.

Emily Cady owns 10 double-doubles this season.

Tear’a Laudermill leads Nebraska in Big Ten play with 14.9 points per game.

Hailie Sample owns 700 points, 687 rebounds and 218 assists as only the fifth Husker in history to reach combined career milestones of 600 points, 600 rebounds and 200 assists.

Hailie Sample ranks second in the Big Ten with a 60.9 field goal percentage

Hailie Sample ranks 10th on the Nebraska career rebound list with 687.

Brandi Jeffery has transformed herself into one of the Big Ten’s best rebounders as a senior.

Brandi Jeffery’s most impressive gains have come on the glass, where she ranks third among the Huskers with 6.4 rebounds per game.

Natalie Romeo has started six consecutive games in place of the injured Rachel Theriot, and has averaged 17.5 points the last four contests.

GAME NOTES:

Beat Ohio State!

csul5b22nebr_(1500)_blk__.jpg

From this morning's Columbus Dispatch.

Butterflies won’t accompany Cait Craft onto the Pinnacle Bank Arena court this afternoon when Ohio State plays Nebraska in its biggest game of the season.

“I don’t get nervous,” she said. “That’s never been who I am, and it’s never been something I’ve had to feel. Basketball is just the one place that’s always relaxing for me. When we have a game, I’m never overthinking it.”

Craft also knows that this is Senior Day at Nebraska, the defending conference tournament champion. The Cornhuskers have had their way with the Buckeyes since joining the conference in 2011.

“Ameryst (Alston) and I, I know, have never beaten Nebraska since we’ve been here,” Craft said. “She and I have that little chip on our shoulders.”

OSU coach Kevin McGuff expects a big, partisan crowd.

“They’ve got four seniors that have done really special things there that they’re going to say goodbye to,” he said. “I would expect a great crowd and a great atmosphere. It’s certainly going to be a great challenge and a great opportunity.”

The Huskers have played seven games without point guard Rachel Theriot, who was lost for the season with an ankle injury.

“But it seems like they’ve settled back into what makes them successful,” McGuff said.

The success is built around a stifling man-to-man defense and a solid half-court offense.

“They’re disciplined and don’t make a lot of mistakes,” McGuff said.