uneblinstu's post game chatter: vol 5, ed 10 - Oregon

uneblinstu

- After the first half where both teams played pretty poorly the fact that Nebraska was only 10 down seemed pretty remarkable.

- NU had some open looks they were unable to convert, which seems to happen to this team a bit too often.

- Talley still trying to do too much on his own at times.

- You can see the improvement in Shields game even in the short time that he's been on the floor. He's going to be good as he gets more comfortable. Glad to see he's toughing it out today.

- Peltz had as rough a first half as I've seen anyone have in a long time.

- NU got exploited in the paint a bit. Oregon athleticism gave NU fits, seemed to speed up NU.

- Don't think NU did all that poorly vs. Oregon defensively, just couldn't get anything going on the other side.

- Interesting that NU went zone for a while. Bit of a statement on the depth of NU, not to mention the foul trouble they found themselves in.

- Just me or were there an overly excessive number of offensive fouls in the first half, on both sides?

- Thought Ray's lack of ball handling skills showed up a couple of times, especially in the first half. There were a couple of times I thought he could have attcked the rim, but he didn't feel confident in his ability to get there. (Talley seems to have the opposite problem).

- Tough match-up for Andre and Brandon. NU's going to have to figure out how to handle talent like that once we get to conference play.

- Getting nothing from Andre and Brandon offensively today was the dagger. Though Talley and Gallegos didn't have great games, they did at least contribute something. If we can get seven from Shields the rest of the way, too, that will be huge.

- NU can't afford to give away possessions like when two players have possession of a rebound and lose it out of bounds.

- Zero free throws in the first half? That can't happen either. They struggle to score, they've got a find a way to get to the line and get some points some other way than hitting outside jumpers.

- Is Peltz a bit of a dirty player? Looked like there may have been some funny business going on a couple of times. He's a tough player, though, which Nebraska needs.

- Hope Rivers isn't hurt too badly, can't afford to lose anyone in the regular rotation and he'd been getting better.

This really wasn't a surprising outcome. NU's a bit banged up and lacks some depth and athleticism to begin with. Pair that with a team that's fairly good and should probably be in the tournament at the end of the season, this is probably the result that should have happened. We'll see a lot more teams like this (and better) the rest of the way. NU needs to find a way to get the next 4 if they can. I still think there will be opportunities for wins vs. the bottom of the Big Ten, but there will be more nights like this than not. As the announcer said at the end of the game, NU needs to weather the storm this year. I like the effort this team puts forth, I hope that continues all season, they just don't have the pieces to do what they need to do to get to the next step.

This post has been promoted to an article

We were certainly outmanned today. Not unexpected, I liked what I saw out of Shavon. Talley is trying to do things that he cannot do, if he plays to his talent, he will be more successful. Spurts out of Ray are wonderful, the spurts have to become more of a flow. Ubel struggled, but the length, quickness and athletism of Oregon's bigs were overwhelming. Parker is dinged, no doubt about it. David's injury looked bad, hopefully he will be fine.

I think reality is starting to settle in.

Was anyone else as impressed with Peltz as I was last night? I wasn't able to watch the first half in which you said he played terrible, but I thought he played much better last night than I've seen him play. He looked like he wanted to score. When he took that three he didn't think twice about shooting it. He also rebounded well and he is a physical guy which we need

The Kazemi kid who grabbed 17 rebounds tonight? He appears to be one of those "immediately eligible" transfers who played 3 seasons at Rice, must have graduated on time, and then wound up at Oregon. We coulda used him for a year, too. Might could really need someone like that for next year.

We might need another year before we can convince one of those guys to come play here. If you're a guy who graduates with a year left of eligibility and want to transfer, it's because you're looking to win. I know we'll win more next year, I'm just not sure how much more and how much more you can sell a guy.

- Interesting that NU went zone for a while. Bit of a statement on the depth of NU, not to mention the foul trouble they found themselves in.

This is exactly the type of team that you run zone against...one with not a lot of outside shooting and a lot of inside play.

It will be interesting how they fare against a team that runs zone all the time....which isn't a ton of them.

This team plays real hard....have to admire that.

But its worth repeating just how poor we are talent wise right now.

Ubel and Talley, god bless them, are nothing more than role players talent-wise but have to do it all. Their effort is admirable.

Almeida and Gallegos are not good players, but will have the occasional big games. Problem is they will also have a number of games that they disappear in as well and it will kill us.

Parker isn't very good. Shields has a chance to be decent in time.

Peltz is scrappy but shouldn't be getting playing time on a Big 10 roster.

Said it before and I'll say it again....I wish we could fast forward til next November