Andre

Huskerpapa

Andre did pretty well early on. You can't ask a guy to give you more than his talent and skill allows, but when he's playing his best, it's not bad.

The fouls will always be a problem for him mostly because of his size and the fact that a quick big can get Andre to block or hack.

But we need the most minutes out of him we can get. I don't think this is an issue of "getting it", it's an issue of him playing to his capability more consistently and finding survival mechanisms to avoid constant foul trouble.

But that isn't coming overnight.

I disagree with those who say that he doesn't possess skills. We have seen them. He is struggling understanding what is and what is not a foul. He is going to be a target, that is not the question, but he gets more than his share of legit fouls where he is out of position or simply gets lazy with his footwork. Is that a byproduct of not being in the best of shape. Perhaps. But my point is/was that we need Andre to play an important role.

Early this season I mentioned that perhaps we should change the line up. Perhaps the time is now. And this is not meant to be a negative slap at Andre. But he appears to be a 15 to 20 minute a game player. Maybe once Shavon gets healthy, we should go with a four-guard and one post line-up. Start Brandon at the five and have Andre become a sub. Give Andre's starting minutes to Shavon. We then would have Peltz, Rivers and Andre coming off the bench. And perhaps, Andre would be available at the end of the game, more fresh and with minutes left in his body...just a thought.

Let's be real about this as Almeida is not a player that Miles would recruit. We have not choice but to play him. Miles is trying to get production out of Doc's players and it's going to be a long season. Doc left the cupboard extremely bare for Miles. Next season, we'll have much more talent and be much deeper. Just need to get throught this season but I'll still be at every home game pulling for a win as these kids still deserve our support.

In visiting with a family member, who is with the UNL Athletic medical team, according to Andre, this is the first year since he has been here that his knees aren't hurting him. According to him (med team member) Doc used to run the living crap out of the team everyday. That is why we saw the 30-40 point losses, not that our guys weren't in shape, they were just shot.

Coach Miles told them, I want my players in shape but I don't want to kill them! I agree Andre needs to work on some things, but hopefully he stays healthy and improves throughout the season.

I as a fat man, I will say that Andre is probably where his body is happiest.

If you try to loose weight only to appease others it becomes even harder.

Could he be lighter? Maybe, or he might just carry that weight because his body tells him it is okay.

I have never followed him or watched him eat to see if he is making late night trips to Taco Bell and asking for the board.(That's fat drunk guy talk for one of everything. Could do that in the 80's it was cheap. ;) )

So I don't know if he isn't trying to get thinner, he might be. But just can't.

It could also be that his body is just okay with where it is at.

Just my $.02 from a fat guy.

Could he be lighter? Maybe, or he might just carry that weight because his body tells him it is okay.

I have never followed him or watched him eat to see if he is making late night trips to Taco Bell and asking for the board.(That's fat drunk guy talk for one of everything. Could do that in the 80's it was cheap. ;) )

Silver, I prefer to call us calorically gifted.

Andre is not an obese, Fat Albert type guy but, short of a serious illness, we will not see him on the underside of 300 while he is playing here no matter what he eats. I'm sure Jurgey makes a valid point. The human knee is not designed to carry that much weight pounding up and down a hardwood floor and I have no problem with coach Miles sitting him for extended periods when he is not contributing to a victory.

i concur with your fat guy opnion, as a large man myself it was extreamly frustrating playing football in high school at a certain weight comfortably with no problems and having the basketball coach or rugby coach ask a unrealistic weight for you to be at. I like andre and i just hope he stays healthy and he has a fun senior year. This is what this season will ultimately be about.

Of course he is happier being bigger, losing weight sucks. But his body is not the happiest where it's at, time is going to be a pain on his knees and joints. I love Andre's skills, but I wish he would have got where he should be athletically.