locker room lockout on Mike and Mike

hhcmatt

Listening to Gaskins and Stephens I heard them talk about Miles saying something to the effect of "if they're here next year." Anybody else here about this? I'm wondering if there will be some turnover after this season. Just a day or two ago, I figured everyone would stick around, but this seems to be turning quickly.

At this point I don't think I would feel safe unless I was Petteway, Shields and White.  And maybe Tarin.  Outside of that, I think the rest could potentially be on the chopping block.

With Fuller getting more and more playing time, I assume he's one of the guys who the coaching staff is reaching.

As of Thursday, Tai is the only name potential transfer name I have heard.  However, I have not spoken with anyone since the Maryland game. 

After watching the team live at Maryland, I feel this team could beat any BIG team on a neutral court except for Wisconsin.

A part of me is really hoping the light will come on within the next week or so and the team will make a magical run through the BIG tourney and into the NCAA.  Yes, that sounds crazy, but I really think the talent is there to do it.

Unfortunately this is fodder for non-Husker message boards to demonstrate our fan base is delusional.    Many weeks ago I would have posted something similar.  But with the current losing streak and the beat-down yesterday, I think it is time we preserve our sanity and write off the season for once and for all.

If you had done this "many weeks ago..." many would have accused you of being a troll.  Many weeks ago we beat Michigan State and there was a thought with the majority that we were perhaps poised for another run.  We had also beaten Rutgers, Minnesota and Illinois.  It was on Tuesday, January 27th that our offensive struggles truly began...and even then, for another two perhaps three games, many thought that the offense could/would get back on track.  Many thought the Northwestern win brought back the offensive mojo...what did we hit, something like 60% of our shots?  But then, back to the offensive woes.  By they way, Northwestern, who we clubed, just recently beat the Iowa team that corked us.

So it is not without reason for many of us to have thought that we still had a chance this season...a chance for a run...a chance to end the season well.  Heck, we still could...but, hey...I am a bit delusional as well.  Go Cubs, this is our year!!!

I just don't get where people think this is so "dangerous".  What's the downside?  We're not going anywhere where it stands.  A bunch of folks thought there was a decent chance we would lose our last 9 games (which we're on track to do).  Maybe this will shake things up enough to do something.  If not, we're no worse off.  And it could help with any carry over for next year.   Need to try something.

You say it could help carry over for next year, but it could also be a cloud that lingers over the entire offseason.

Do I think it's likely? No. But what if this ends up costing us Petteway to the pros (NBA or NBDL or Europe), Pitchford to leaving as a graduate senior (assuming he graduates), etc.

I think this is more likely to help light a fire than the cause the players to shut it down even more, but you're kidding yourself if you think there's no downside.

If Petteway goes, it isn't going to be cause he can't handle some tough love from Miles.  Get serious.

I didn't say it would be the only reason, but it could be the little push he needed to leave.

Like I said, there's potential downside here.

And like I said, I just completely disagree.

This segment did not make it to the M&M podcast today.

Why wouldn't they podcast everything? Strange. Nearly everyone else does.

Because three-hour podcasts are too long.

The usually trim to 45 minutes to an hour (or, they used to when I listened to it).

SVP and Russillo are between 45 and an hour.  It works better to clean things up.

I agree that Miles is playing with fire locking the players out of the Hendricks Center locker rooms.  This could go either way.  This team has a fragile psyche right now.  I really think that Miles thinks that this is a last resort and has no other options to motivate these guys.  I really wonder about team chemistry with these guys and if there is a cancer/cancers on this team.  Something just doesn't seem right here.  I have felt this way all season.  Maybe with the losing comes more pressing by the guys and it makes it seem like a chemistry issue.  I really don't know.  I do think that Miles is trying everything he can and nothing is working.  

I agree. This feels like a dangerous move that could go either way. But, I do trust in Miles and this staff to do whatever is necessary to get his point across to the kids.

Hey, look at that, "Coach Carter" is available on Netflix's. I'm hitting play........NOW!

It's not like he hasn't done it before. He locked the doors last year after Penn State and we went on a 10-2 run.

After watching the team live at Maryland, I feel this team could beat any BIG team on a neutral court except for Wisconsin.

A part of me is really hoping the light will come on within the next week or so and the team will make a magical run through the BIG tourney and into the NCAA.  Yes, that sounds crazy, but I really think the talent is there to do it.

Unfortunately this is fodder for non-Husker message boards to demonstrate our fan base is delusional.    Many weeks ago I would have posted something similar.  But with the current losing streak and the beat-down yesterday, I think it is time we preserve our sanity and write off the season for once and for all.

If you had done this "many weeks ago..." many would have accused you of being a troll.  Many weeks ago we beat Michigan State and there was a thought with the majority that we were perhaps poised for another run.  We had also beaten Rutgers, Minnesota and Illinois.  It was on Tuesday, January 27th that our offensive struggles truly began...and even then, for another two perhaps three games, many thought that the offense could/would get back on track.  Many thought the Northwestern win brought back the offensive mojo...what did we hit, something like 60% of our shots?  But then, back to the offensive woes.  By they way, Northwestern, who we clubed, just recently beat the Iowa team that corked us.

So it is not without reason for many of us to have thought that we still had a chance this season...a chance for a run...a chance to end the season well.  Heck, we still could...but, hey...I am a bit delusional as well.  Go Cubs, this is our year!!!

It seems like many weeks ago, but it was actually the early morning hours of February 11th in the thread:  Last Chance To Make A Run (see below).   The exact time is not the point though.  Back then I was still hanging onto the hope the magic would return.   Since then I watched three more losses to make the losing streak 5 in a row and 7 of the last 8 games.   The Iowa game pushed me over the edge.   Unfortunately I live in an area that is infested with many Hawkeye fans and the abuse was overwhelming.   Even the local news archor last night made the following statement:   "Now we know why the Big Ten asked Nebraska and Rutgers to join the conference:  To help pad the records of Big Ten basketball teams".   That's right, a news anchor!!!   So I apologize to all if I am a bit on edge right now after listening to comments like this all day yesterday and today.

If we go 6-1 the rest of the way we are IN, 5-2 would require two wins in the Conf Tourney. 4-3 or worst Conf tourney title would be required.......

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOOOOO BIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Come on guys lets have some hope......

I like the spirit.   But there are actually two chances.  Making a run to end the regular season as you mentioned.   Or making a run in the Big Ten tournament.   Any moment now we are expecting the team from last season to reappear.   Maybe they have saved the best for last.

A part of me is really hoping the light will come on within the next week or so and the team will make a magical run through the BIG tourney and into the NCAA. Yes, that sounds crazy, but I really think the talent is there to do it.

Unfortunately this is fodder for non-Husker message boards to demonstrate our fan base is delusional. Many weeks ago I would have posted something similar. But with the current losing streak and the beat-down yesterday, I think it is time we preserve our sanity and write off the season for once and for all.

If you had done this "many weeks ago..." many would have accused you of being a troll. Many weeks ago we beat Michigan State and there was a thought with the majority that we were perhaps poised for another run. We had also beaten Rutgers, Minnesota and Illinois. It was on Tuesday, January 27th that our offensive struggles truly began...and even then, for another two perhaps three games, many thought that the offense could/would get back on track. Many thought the Northwestern win brought back the offensive mojo...what did we hit, something like 60% of our shots? But then, back to the offensive woes. By they way, Northwestern, who we clubed, just recently beat the Iowa team that corked us.

So it is not without reason for many of us to have thought that we still had a chance this season...a chance for a run...a chance to end the season well. Heck, we still could...but, hey...I am a bit delusional as well. Go Cubs, this is our year!!!

It seems like many weeks ago, but it was actually the early morning hours of February 11th in the thread: Last Chance To Make A Run (see below). The exact time is not the point though. Back then I was still hanging onto the hope the magic would return. Since then I watched three more losses to make the losing streak 5 in a row and 7 of the last 8 games. The Iowa game pushed me over the edge. Unfortunately I live in an area that is infested with many Hawkeye fans and the abuse was overwhelming. Even the local news archor last night made the following statement: "Now we know why the Big Ten asked Nebraska and Rutgers to join the conference: To help pad the records of Big Ten basketball teams". That's right, a news anchor!!! So I apologize to all if I am a bit on edge right now after listening to comments like this all day yesterday and today.

If we go 6-1 the rest of the way we are IN, 5-2 would require two wins in the Conf Tourney. 4-3 or worst Conf tourney title would be required.......

I like the spirit. But there are actually two chances. Making a run to end the regular season as you mentioned. Or making a run in the Big Ten tournament. Any moment now we are expecting the team from last season to reappear. Maybe they have saved the best for last.

What news anchor said this?

A part of me is really hoping the light will come on within the next week or so and the team will make a magical run through the BIG tourney and into the NCAA. Yes, that sounds crazy, but I really think the talent is there to do it.

Unfortunately this is fodder for non-Husker message boards to demonstrate our fan base is delusional. Many weeks ago I would have posted something similar. But with the current losing streak and the beat-down yesterday, I think it is time we preserve our sanity and write off the season for once and for all.

If you had done this "many weeks ago..." many would have accused you of being a troll. Many weeks ago we beat Michigan State and there was a thought with the majority that we were perhaps poised for another run. We had also beaten Rutgers, Minnesota and Illinois. It was on Tuesday, January 27th that our offensive struggles truly began...and even then, for another two perhaps three games, many thought that the offense could/would get back on track. Many thought the Northwestern win brought back the offensive mojo...what did we hit, something like 60% of our shots? But then, back to the offensive woes. By they way, Northwestern, who we clubed, just recently beat the Iowa team that corked us.

So it is not without reason for many of us to have thought that we still had a chance this season...a chance for a run...a chance to end the season well. Heck, we still could...but, hey...I am a bit delusional as well. Go Cubs, this is our year!!!

It seems like many weeks ago, but it was actually the early morning hours of February 11th in the thread: Last Chance To Make A Run (see below). The exact time is not the point though. Back then I was still hanging onto the hope the magic would return. Since then I watched three more losses to make the losing streak 5 in a row and 7 of the last 8 games. The Iowa game pushed me over the edge. Unfortunately I live in an area that is infested with many Hawkeye fans and the abuse was overwhelming. Even the local news anchor last night made the following statement: "Now we know why the Big Ten asked Nebraska and Rutgers to join the conference: To help pad the records of Big Ten basketball teams". That's right, a news anchor!!! So I apologize to all if I am a bit on edge right now after listening to comments like this all day yesterday and today.

I like the spirit. But there are actually two chances. Making a run to end the regular season as you mentioned. Or making a run in the Big Ten tournament. Any moment now we are expecting the team from last season to reappear. Maybe they have saved the best for last.

What news anchor said this?

Don't worry.  I have already expressed my disappointment to him.  I don't think he will make that mistake again even though it was his attempt to make a joke.   But it was just an example of the shock of the season with so much promise.  

It seems like many weeks ago, but it was actually the early morning hours of February 11th in the thread:  Last Chance To Make A Run (see below).   The exact time is not the point though.  Back then I was still hanging onto the hope the magic would return.   Since then I watched three more losses to make the losing streak 5 in a row and 7 of the last 8 games.   The Iowa game pushed me over the edge.   Unfortunately I live in an area that is infested with many Hawkeye fans and the abuse was overwhelming.   Even the local news archor last night made the following statement:   "Now we know why the Big Ten asked Nebraska and Rutgers to join the conference:  To help pad the records of Big Ten basketball teams".   That's right, a news anchor!!!   So I apologize to all if I am a bit on edge right now after listening to comments like this all day yesterday and today.

It is understandable to be frustrated.  I have been told many of the players themselves are taking this losing streak seriously and are frustrated as well.  However, bagging on each other really does not help board morale.  Admittedly, I have made a few cutting remarks in the past, but they have not really served any value.

As for my remark about running the table, it is not unheard of.  I frequently am reminded of the 2011/2012 Western Kentucky team which ran the Sun Belt Conference Tournament to qualify for the NCAA.  At least one school, North Texas (I believe), was good enough to be an at large bubble.  WKU had a losing record but it was mostly due to lackadaisical play (WKU had some of the top talent in the conference).  However, they caught fire right at the end of the season.  I also remember the 1998/1999 Illinois, 1995/1996 Duke, 2005-2006 Syracuse, and 2008/2009 Baylor teams which nearly ran though conference tournament play to qualify for the NCAAs.  All five schools fought through adversity to at least get to their respective conference championship games.  Every year, at least one conference has one of those teams.  The BIG, outside of Wisconsin, is not as dominant as it was last year.

Heck, look at the 2012-2013 Nebraska squad which advanced to the quarterfinals and played Ohio State tough.  Had Nebraska advanced to the semi-finals, a loss to Michigan State was not a given.

While it is more likely Nebraska will lose in the first round than advance to the finals, the season is not over until Nebraska is beaten in the BIG tourney.  If this team finally comes together, they have the talent to advance.

I heard Coach Miles say his comment about "if some of the players don't start playing here next year, they won't be here" comment.  He then immediately said "I'm only kidding, guys"

He isn't going to kick off 2/3 of our roster or even 1/2 of it.  He's not that type of coach.  I hope he makes prudent lineup changes but I highly doubt one day we read that 4-6 players are instantly transferring.

It is understandable to be frustrated.  I have been told many of the players themselves are taking this losing streak seriously and are frustrated as well.  However, bagging on each other really does not help board morale.  Admittedly, I have made a few cutting remarks in the past, but they have not really served any value.

As for my remark about running the table, it is not unheard of.  I frequently am reminded of the 2011/2012 Western Kentucky team which ran the Sun Belt Conference Tournament to qualify for the NCAA.  At least one school, North Texas (I believe), was good enough to be an at large bubble.  WKU had a losing record but it was mostly due to lackadaisical play (WKU had some of the top talent in the conference).  However, they caught fire right at the end of the season.  I also remember the 1998/1999 Illinois, 1995/1996 Duke, 2005-2006 Syracuse, and 2008/2009 Baylor teams which nearly ran though conference tournament play to qualify for the NCAAs.  All five schools fought through adversity to at least get to their respective conference championship games.  Every year, at least one conference has one of those teams.  The BIG, outside of Wisconsin, is not as dominant as it was last year.

Heck, look at the 2012-2013 Nebraska squad which advanced to the quarterfinals and played Ohio State tough.  Had Nebraska advanced to the semi-finals, a loss to Michigan State was not a given.

While it is more likely Nebraska will lose in the first round than advance to the finals, the season is not over until Nebraska is beaten in the BIG tourney.  If this team finally comes together, they have the talent to advance.

Funny, I thought of the Illinois team as well.   A lot of young talent that was on the verge of making noise.   After watching this team, I am just not feeling it anymore.    Perhaps a defense mechanism after being knocked down over and over again this season.   It was probably a mistake for me to join a message board.  I thought it might help me find some clarity and answers. 

Colorado ran through the Pac 12 tournament I think it was like 3 years ago winning 4 games in 4 nights to qualify for the NCAA tourney.

Pac 12 was (and really still is) horrible though.

And now, in honor of the new poster's nickname I present to you, Bob Seger!!!

March 15 in PBA, 49r!  HB will be there.  Brings back memories of the great Seger concert in Civic Auditorium in '78. 

That's Alto Reed on the saxophone.  ;)