Miles Post-Game (Iowa)

HuskerFever

- Disgusting. Feel bad for our fans. Need to find a way to owe them back for this one.

- (On 21-2 run): Lack of competitive spirit was most disappointing part - we never fought back

- (On potential chemistry issues): Could be. Probably not though. We mix up different lineups in practice; that's not unusual. But there is no reason not to come out and play.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

- First time in 36-38 Big Ten games we've given up more than 50% shooting.

- Before 21-2 run, Iowa was in mid-30s from the field, Iowa's mentality was to get after it. Our body language was heads down, slouched shoulders 12 minutes into the game.

- Usually can find a spark. Thought it would have turned with Benny early in the game when he got after a lose ball steal tie-up around 21-14. Then on from there was bad news bears on offense.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

- (On last game at home): Good, we get to empty our own gym. That's just me being bitter.

- Go back to fundamentals & get better at the things we can get better at.

- Tough one today, we have to find out our resolve, what we can do better, and figure out how to do it.

- Tough day. Special day. Good weekend to honor [alumni]. Wish we could have responded better.

*EDIT - (dimes, apparently I can't even spell Miles' name right in the title... a little help?)

Someone needs to ask him who decided to put the lineup of Benny, Tai, Rivers, Fuller, and Leslie on the floor late in the first half. This is right when Iowa's run really started. I turned to the guy sitting next to me when I saw those 5 walk on the floor and I said how are we going to score with these guys? Iowa ripped off 6 or 8 in a row and the game was over. 

The team is broken.  I'm not mad...more sad.  I didn't see it coming, but this team was not competetive and honestly, I thought they kind of quit.  Nope, did not see that coming.  I won't pick on the players...that ain't going to help.  The players do not appear to be having fun.  It is what it is right now. 

The team is broken.  I'm not mad...more sad.  I didn't see it coming, but this team was not competetive and honestly, I thought they kind of quit.  Nope, did not see that coming.  I won't pick on the players...that ain't going to help.  The players do not appear to be having fun.  It is what it is right now.

I really thought we turned a corner, especially with how hard we played at Maryland. I'm OK with losses, they happen. I'm a firm believer in cheering or criticizing the effort, not the result. Both were beyond awful today.

Sounds like Miles has banned the players from using the fancy practice court facilities until further notice.

Probably not a bad idea. Whatever happens now is up to the players to get better.

Sounds like Miles has banned the players from using the fancy practice court facilities until further notice.

Probably not a bad idea. Whatever happens now is up to the players to get better.

He has banned them from the dressing room. Not the whole facility.

I share your feelings on your first two sentences.   This was a beat down no doubt...it was one of those games ( full games ) where nothing went right.  We have had several halfs like that, but we found a way to fight back into most of those.   I don't think the players quit.  I did not see lack of effort....I doubt anyone will agree with me on that.   We are seriously lacking offensive talent and spark.  Which I said last year right before we went on the most incredible run in my lifetime.   We really haven't been all that impressive all year and the reason we haven't been is because we aren't that good.  I'm talking overall Big 10 offensive talent.  Sure we can play D....because we have to.    That said...I hope the young men don't give up because we have shown just like everyone else in bottom of our league that we can compete ( a lot has to go right however for that to happen ).

What Miles is saying is not constructive at all. He should be discussing what we need to do to make the NCAA tournament. Ha! Every team has a stinker...and we stink, but this was a tough pill to swallow. Iowa is not great and we were asleep at the wheel from the get go. No excuses for this one.

This team has not come out ready to play for the last month.  Hence the number of games with less than 20 at half.  Simply no excuse for a Div 1 team to be this offensive on offensive.

What Miles is saying is not constructive at all. He should be discussing what we need to do to make the NCAA tournament. Ha! Every team has a stinker...and we stink, but this was a tough pill to swallow. Iowa is not great and we were asleep at the wheel from the get go. No excuses for this one.

This team has not come out ready to play for the last month.  Hence the number of games with less than 20 at half.  Simply no excuse for a Div 1 team to be this offensive on offensive.

Not to add too much insult to injury, but we scored 35 points in 40 minutes and had to go to overtime to a team that is currently 8-21. Sadly, this stems further back than last month.

Post game notes

Nebraska Notes
*-Iowa shot 50 percent, becoming the first Husker opponent in 38 games to shoot over 50 percent. The 37-game streak was the longest streak in the Big Ten.
*-The 28-point defeat was the largest of the season, as the previous largest loss was 18 at Minnesota
*-Terran Petteway led NU with 16 points, the 25th
 time in he has been in double figures
*-Walter Pitchford finished with 10 points off the bench, reaching double figures for the third straight game
*-Shavon Shield was held to three points, snapping a career-long streak of nine straight games in double figures.
*-Nick Fuller and Tarin Smith both started, marking the first time since Jan. 9, 2013, that Nebraska had two freshman starters. Fuller had five points and five rebounds in his first career start. 

Nebraska Coach Tim Miles
On if the effort was acceptable
“No. You never want to throw your players under the bus, but that was just beyond disappointing. That’s not what we represent. When I was at Southwest Minnesota State as the coach, to pay for shoes at the Renaissance Festival in Minnesota for a weekend to pick up trash. If I had the option, I would do that tonight, tomorrow and the next day to pay back the fans for their tickets. Our fans have been so supportive and great, and we get 15,000 people out there to go non-compete mode. I thought we showed a softness, a lack of leadership and a lack of willingness to listen to leadership. It’s unacceptable. You have to have a great amount of pride to compete when things aren’t going well, and we just didn’t show any pride. I was looking at the stats, and they don’t matter. The game plan doesn’t matter. When you come out and kind of half-ass it, a team like Iowa remembers how we knocked them out of the NCAA tournament two years ago. They know what they’re fighting for. They looked like a team with pride. They had poise. They had aggressiveness. And they really put on a clinic.

On if the team has chemistry issues

“They like each other. Do we have the right mix of players playing together? Obviously not. Because I haven't been able to put the right groups out that consistently perform well on both offense and defense. I think this is the first time we've allowed 50 percent for an opponent in 38 games. The next closest in the Big Ten is 14. We had this unbelievable streak of excellent defense and that tells you everything. We were just awful today."

On Iowa's game plan

"I just thought Iowa was really good. I thought they were sound and aggressive. I thought they were aggressive on offense. I thought they had a similar game plan like the last time on how they treated Terran (Petteway). We shot 2-18 from the three point line. So driving lines weren't necessarily available. We played some zone then. And we just didn't attack anything well. By the time we attacked zone, we just didn't play anything well."

Iowa Men's Basketball Head Coach Fran McCaffery 
On how important it was to hit the first few shots of the game
"I think anytime you go on the road in an environment like this you want to make some shots early--no question. It felt good." 

On taking timeout with seven to go in first half, NU on 9-3 run, then Iowa closes out the half at 21-2 run, what did he say? 
"I wish I could tell you, something incredibly intelligent or inspirational, but really it was nothing more than emphasizing some of the things that we did early, that we planned to do in this game. Kind of get back to the game plan and relax a little bit. You know they are going to come. They are a good team, with an excellent coach--they are going to keep coming. So you have to weather that storm by playing intelligently, not 'oh, they scored, so now we have to score in four seconds.' It is not how it works. Keep doing the things you set out todo." 

On if anything has changed with the team in the last week or so
"I think everyone overanalyzes things like that. The one thing that I always say and you guys probably think I am just saying it--is I am respectful of the teams that beat us. Oh we lose two games and everyone is saying that those were two bad losses... We lost to Minnesota and played them pretty good, they have pretty good players and a good coach. Then, same thing, we lost on the road to Northwestern. They played great. Chris had them ready, so you go to the next one, you try to play better and win the next one. Same thing here, that is what this league is, a lot of leagues have two or three teams at the bottom that you can beat up on, this is not that league. It never will be. You have to have a lot of guys playing well and stay healthy. You have to defend, I think when it is all said and done, when this game ended, the reason why it did the way it did was because of our defense rather than our offense." 

On the team playing the way it did at the end of first half, as a coach--does he sit back and marvel 
"Sure you do. I told them that. Every coach tries to get their team to play like that. We have played like that, and we have not played like that--so has every other team. But when it all comes together like that and they are playing unselfishly and playing defense, I think as a coach that is the best feeling, when your team is playing like that. The challenge then is trying to get them to play like that all the time." 

On Mike Gesell's performance
"Recognizing the difference from when we are going to 'quick shoot' the ball or have a long possession, based on what has happened in the last 40 seconds. I thought Mike did a good job there." 

On (Shavon) Shields, if they guarded him differently 
"We certainly guarded him better--I think we did that. I think he is a guy, he gets to the rim to a variety of ways, he has dribble moves, he has size and length. He's got a great floater and a great mid-range game. He has not shot the ball well from 3, so that changes things a little bit on the way you guard him. I thought what we were able to do is we were able to get people in when he started to get going and not give him the space he typically takes advantage of." 

On long road trip, winning 4 of their last 7 road games, sign of improved toughness?
"I think so. We are an experienced team, we should be able to go on the road and execute and follow the game plan and not get too rattled by the surroundings. I think we try as best we can as coaches to prepare them not only for what they are walking into on the court and then in this building or whatever building. It comes down the them containing their emotions. For the most part we maintained our composure."