The refs sucked

ajb5856

The announcers can't say anything. Are you kidding me? And they usually have no clue what they are talking about or have to fake like the officiating is good and normal. At one point with a minute or so left they were absolutely driving me nuts. Tai and another of our guys had Trimble (I think) trapped off the press in the backcourt. Both of our guys from what I could tell had him perfectly trapped with each guy having 2 arms straight up in the air. Absolutely textbook, no reaching. The official of course anticipated that we were going to try and foul and whistled Tai for "reaching" before the trap had any time to cause frustration for the offense. As soon as the whistle blew the announcers just went on a 5 minute sermon on how "in that situation you absolutely have to trap, you can't foul right away". He didn't foul and we were trapping. The ref was just too incompetent to let the basketball players play basketball. My god....

It's just not any fun trying to figure out how a handcheck 40 feet from the basket is a foul and how a guy getting wrapped around the neck and tackled to the floor isn't a foul. And then you have guys making actual basketball maneuvers, like shooting, getting beat up and no whistle is blown.

To be fair, it's not like the ref was watching... oh wait. Yes he was.

Seriously, if that was our player holding another player in a headlock...they would have went to the video and teed us up!!!

And headed him to the showers.

And suspend him for the rest of the season.

I wonder if this video segment will make it to the Big Ten office?

It's just not any fun trying to figure out how a handcheck 40 feet from the basket is a foul and how a guy getting wrapped around the neck and tackled to the floor isn't a foul. And then you have guys making actual basketball maneuvers, like shooting, getting beat up and no whistle is blown.

Seriously, if that was our player holding another player in a headlock...they would have went to the video and teed us up!!!

I wonder if this video segment will make it to the Big Ten office?

Can we send it in?

The announcers can't say anything. Are you kidding me? And they usually have no clue what they are talking about or have to fake like the officiating is good and normal. At one point with a minute or so left they were absolutely driving me nuts. Tai and another of our guys had Trimble (I think) trapped off the press in the backcourt. Both of our guys from what I could tell had him perfectly trapped with each guy having 2 arms straight up in the air. Absolutely textbook, no reaching. The official of course anticipated that we were going to try and foul and whistled Tai for "reaching" before the trap had any time to cause frustration for the offense. As soon as the whistle blew the announcers just went on a 5 minute sermon on how "in that situation you absolutely have to trap, you can't foul right away". He didn't foul and we were trapping. The ref was just too incompetent to let the basketball players play basketball. My god....

Now, the part that really ticks me off, is that these refs are not held accountable.  The ref that displayed poor sportsmanship when he "boomed" Shields this year, is still able to ref games.  The League office has to look at the choke hold, and explain to fans and media why nothing was done about that.  It gets frustrating when you see our guys take the ball to the rim, and we can't get a call to save our souls.  It would be different if the refs weren't calling hand checks on us. 

Maryland's #10 is a cheapshot artist.  Go back and look at the video where Pat Chambers went off on the refs.  The replay of that sequence shows #10 at the beginning of the play do something of a forearm shiver to the head of the PSU player who grabbed the defensive board.

Miles needs to bring Randy Gregory in from the football team to play power forward for the Maryland game and take care of some business.  And, if Gregory should happen to get suspended for the rest of the season ...

Check the video for yourselves.

http://btn.com/2015/02/15/patrick-chambers-goes-off-on-officials-after-loss-to-maryland/

Maryland's #10 is a cheapshot artist.  Go back and look at the video where Pat Chambers went off on the refs.  The replay of that sequence shows #10 at the beginning of the play do something of a forearm shiver to the head of the PSU player who grabbed the defensive board.

Miles needs to bring Randy Gregory in from the football team to play power forward for the Maryland game and take care of some business.  And, if Gregory should happen to get suspended for the rest of the season ...

Check the video for yourselves.

http://btn.com/2015/02/15/patrick-chambers-goes-off-on-officials-after-loss-to-maryland/

During the game I mentioned putting in Moses for a minute just to deal with Ms. Layman.  Did anyone see that guy's silly dance before the starting lineup?  He's my new Jason Sutherland.  

Just did a quick check, using statistics from the B1G web site.

The Huskers have attempted 203 free throws in conference.

Husker opponents have attempted 288 free throws in conference.

In the last three games the difference is 86-16 in the opponents' favor.

So, is the solution that we need to drive to the basket more? 

Yep, I remember that.  I was saying, "But Jimmy, they didn't foul!"

Last night was the typical ranked team at home playing an unranked team where the home team gets a few more calls. Also the refs love Melo Trimble because he is aggresive and now has a reputation of getting to the foul line a lot so they look for contact more closely when he drives in the lane. 

I also think Nebraska might have a reputation as whiners. The TV cameras love showing TP when he's frustrated and Miles is always pretty vocal towards the refs.

All this said, the refs didn't lose us last nights game and haven't made the difference in any other game this year.

Just did a quick check, using statistics from the B1G web site.

The Huskers have attempted 203 free throws in conference.

Husker opponents have attempted 288 free throws in conference.

In the last three games the difference is 86-16 in the opponents' favor.

So, is the solution that we need to drive to the basket more? 

It's not that simple though. 2 of the last 3 teams we've faced (Wisconsin, Maryland) are top 10 in the nation in FTA/FGA ratio.  In other words, they don't put people on the line. On the flipside, Maryland is top 20 and Purdue top 50 in FTA/FGA ratio on offense. It varies by game but it would be statistically surprising at this point if we had an equal ratio.

That being said 86-16 is wayyyyy to much for this team, especially given our previous games. Yeah, we aren't going to the rim as much as we should...we're settling for the 3 which is an awful choice for us on multiple levels.

At work today, several guys claimed that Fuller flopped.  I still stand that it was malicious.  He did not need to put his arm around Fuller's neck and pull. Let's say Fuller flopped. #10 ran down the court and did not look back - he knew what he did.

I'll be interested to see if the Red Zone has any plans for this guy.

At work today, several guys claimed that Fuller flopped.  I still stand that it was malicious.  He did not need to put his arm around Fuller's neck and pull. Let's say Fuller flopped. #10 ran down the court and did not look back - he knew what he did.

There is no way Fuller flopped. No only was there force on that drag down, but Fuller seems like a bigger man than that. He had his opportunity to shine last night and he wasn't going to play dirty to get playing time.

What does it even matter? The moment #10 wrapped his arm around Fuller's neck = FOUL. Malicious or not, I don't care. Should have been a foul and our ball (as Maryland was on offense, making it even more comical. Real offensive "basketball move" there.)

Bottom line we still lost the game. We were so close. Best overall game by the team all year. Yes the B1G refs stink. They do protect their product. Not just basketball either. Watch closer. At some point the refs were not calling the same fouls. How ironic that yet another valiant come back was thwarted by ticky tack fouls. Before any one gets too upset think about this. The B1G and NCAA tournament make over two billion dollars. Our conference needs to represent well in the tournament. How are a bunch of 15-18 18-15 teams going to make the dance? Yes I could do a better job. I don't have a lot to offer on how to change the B1G dollar conundrum.  I believe if we had a better record entering the conference race we would have had better shading by the league refs. Just one mans opinion. tux

That no call was as bad as this call.

That no call was as bad as this call.

I'm so confused... I've watched this on loop over and over again. It just seems like he spent more effort trying to fake a foul than he did trying to make the basket.