The refs sucked

ajb5856

Listen, guys. Here's the deal. I know in some people's eyes we are gaining a reputation for "whining" or whatever. We also commit a fair amount of frustration fouls. If these refs would just make normal basketball calls that you see in typical basketball games, Miles wouldn't have to blow up. The guys wouldn't have to commit frustration fouls. Normal calls. Is that so hard to ask? The guys wouldn't have to act like whiners if the game was officiated properly. Our players and coaches work and practice too hard. The last thing I want is Coach Miles to just roll over and shrug his shoulders when Fuller gets tackled. I don't want our players to have to just act like its part of the game when you've got some idiot blowing a bogus whistle in their face. They deserve better. NORMAL REFS, BIG TEN. NORMAL. FIND SOME NOW!

I'm not saying it's the refs, I'm not saying it's our team's poor composure at times, and I'm not saying it's anything else, so read into it as you will, but here are the numbers:

First 9 B1G Games:

NU Fouls: 160

Opponent Fouls: 153

Last 5 BIG Games:

NU Fouls: 98

Opponent Fouls: 68

Something has changed late in the season; just can't put my finger on it.

Absolutely disgraceful first 35 minutes by the stripes tonight. We almost overcame it. I've been watching us get screwed for 40+ years and it as sucked the joy out of basketball for me. Recall us getting ass-raped by John Van Wuy against Missouri at home in '81 or '82? It just keeps happening. As Miles said tonight on his show: "I guess we have to learn how to not foul. And how to get fouled". Dripping with sarcasm.

I'm not saying it's the refs, I'm not saying it's our team's poor composure at times, and I'm not saying it's anything else, so read into it as you will, but here are the numbers:

First 9 B1G Games:

NU Fouls: 160

Opponent Fouls: 153

Last 5 BIG Games:

NU Fouls: 98

Opponent Fouls: 68

Something has changed late in the season; just can't put my finger on it.

Learned tonight that you can now wrap your arm around another player's neck and toss him down without a foul being called, right in front of an official. However, you shall not handcheck, even if you make no contact, you shall not attempt to swipe at the ball.

Isn't that a flagrant one?  Heck, shouldn't the refs go to the monitor to look at it.  They went to the monitor because they had no clue who the technical foul should have been on.  What frustrates me the most is the fact we can't buy a call going to the rim.  People say you can't settle for jump shots.  Well, we can't get A CALL at the rim.  The fact that we would only be in the double bonus 37 minutes into the game because Maryland had 10 fouls for the game up to THAT POINT!!

It's just not any fun trying to figure out how a handcheck 40 feet from the basket is a foul and how a guy getting wrapped around the neck and tackled to the floor isn't a foul. And then you have guys making actual basketball maneuvers, like shooting, getting beat up and no whistle is blown.

It's just not any fun trying to figure out how a handcheck 40 feet from the basket is a foul and how a guy getting wrapped around the neck and tackled to the floor isn't a foul. And then you have guys making actual basketball maneuvers, like shooting, getting beat up and no whistle is blown.

To be fair, it's not like the ref was watching... oh wait. Yes he was.

Seriously, if that was our player holding another player in a headlock...they would have went to the video and teed us up!!!

Seriously, if that was our player holding another player in a headlock...they would have went to the video and teed us up!!!

And headed him to the showers.

I missed the game. Did the announcers make any type of comments about this?

They showed the replay because the refs STOPPED the game to WARN Miles.  They didn't show later in the possession when Fuller boxed the same player out, and the Maryland player jumped on FULLER's back, still NO CALL!!

And headed him to the showers.

And suspend him for the rest of the season.

The announcers can't say anything. Are you kidding me? And they usually have no clue what they are talking about or have to fake like the officiating is good and normal. At one point with a minute or so left they were absolutely driving me nuts. Tai and another of our guys had Trimble (I think) trapped off the press in the backcourt. Both of our guys from what I could tell had him perfectly trapped with each guy having 2 arms straight up in the air. Absolutely textbook, no reaching. The official of course anticipated that we were going to try and foul and whistled Tai for "reaching" before the trap had any time to cause frustration for the offense. As soon as the whistle blew the announcers just went on a 5 minute sermon on how "in that situation you absolutely have to trap, you can't foul right away". He didn't foul and we were trapping. The ref was just too incompetent to let the basketball players play basketball. My god....