Nebraska (13-12 5-8 11th) vs Maryland (21-5 9-4 2nd) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

I don't mean this to pump rainbows at Tai or anything. Yes, he had a costly turnover or two. Yes, it's frustrating. But there are a LOOOOT of reasons we didn't win (probably starting with the fact that Melo Trimble is a straight up man out there and it takes a fairly gargantuan effort to beat him alone, much less the rest of Maryland's team) and I'd wager that Tai's ability or lack of ability to play at a Big Ten level, based largely on a couple of turnovers, wouldn't make the top 5 reasons we lost.

I don't mean this to pump rainbows at Tai or anything. Yes, he had a costly turnover or two. Yes, it's frustrating. But there are a LOOOOT of reasons we didn't win (probably starting with the fact that Melo Trimble is a straight up man out there and it takes a fairly gargantuan effort to beat him alone, much less the rest of Maryland's team) and I'd wager that Tai's ability or lack of ability to play at a Big Ten level, based largely on a couple of turnovers, wouldn't make the top 5 reasons we lost.

It's like the field goal kicker missing a game winning field goal. Nobody remembers QB throwing the INT that lead to a touchdown, or the holding penalty that wiped out a huge play. It's human nature to look at the last mistake and blame the player for losing. It sucks, but it's sports. Hopefully Tai keeps his chin up.

Really? We just played a hell of a game that most thought we had no shot at, it came down to the last 30 seconds, and showed the team hasn't just given up on this year...and we turn it into yet another Bash Tai thread? Come on. We're better than that. Be disappointed, fine, but this is unnecessary.

No one's bashing Tai as a person. He's just not a quality player right now. 

So saying he is not worthy of being on the team and blah blah you aren't bashing him personally?

Not really.

Saying he's a jerk is bashing him personally.

Saying he's not Big Ten quality (which I don't agree with) is bashing his basketball talent, which does not define him personally.  If you define people by their basketball ability, then I'm not sure what I can say.

And sorry...I don't buy the matchup crap in regards to Fuller. If it isn't Fuller it's Rivers who isn't exactly a force on the defensive end. I don't have much beef with Miles but his handling of Fuller is one of them. The guy should have been playing all year. Especially on a team that is as bad at rebounding and shooting as we are. In his short time on the court he has proven to have a nose for the ball and basketball smarts. He also stretches the defense where as Rivers clogs the lanes even more.

I hope that dude goes pro before we play him again.

FWIW, he's listed at #62 on both the Draft Express and Basketball Insiders top 100 NBA prospects lists. I'd guess he'll probably stay in school another year before turning pro (not likely to get a guaranteed contract).

If you're talking about Trimble we'll see him again in 16 days

I hope that dude goes pro before we play him again.

FWIW, he's listed at #62 on both the Draft Express and Basketball Insiders top 100 NBA prospects lists. I'd guess he'll probably stay in school another year before turning pro (not likely to get a guaranteed contract).

If you're talking about Trimble we'll see him again in 16 days

He can go pro before that.

Nothing stopping him.

:)

We recruited Melo...he was a four star out of Arlington Virgina.  I am assumming Hunter was on the Hunt.  Dalonte Hill recruited him to Maryland.  Wasn't Dalonte at KSU?

yes.  That was  a killer move by Turgeon to bring in Dalonte, whether unseemly or not.  Might have saved Turgeon's career.

I so wish I could come down to some of you people's work places and bash the hell out of you anytime you make a mistake.  Or say I don't think you are doing a good job raising your kids, again, BASH TIME BABY!! 

Just because some of you dead beats were NEVER good enough to sniff a basketball court, let alone a D-1 court doesn't mean you take it out on 18-19 year old kids that can.  So Tai dropped a ball out of bounds, not the reason we lost the game.  Tai would be the first one to tell you he has struggled at times, but I don't ever see that kid not being a damn good teammate and working his butt off. So many people in this day in age when they don't see instant gratification fold up tent and give up.  Never have I seen that with Tai, and that's a credit to his toughness and character.

I just so wish I could sit behind some of you when you struggle on a test and laugh in your face.  Or if you don't do your best at work I would love to get on a message board or even face to face and tell you how awful you are at what you do. 

I mean c'mon now people.  We should be above that! 

I so wish I could come down to some of you people's work places and bash the hell out of you anytime you make a mistake.  Or say I don't think you are doing a good job raising your kids, again, BASH TIME BABY!! 

Just because some of you dead beats were NEVER good enough to sniff a basketball court, let alone a D-1 court doesn't mean you take it out on 18-19 year old kids that can.  So Tai dropped a ball out of bounds, not the reason we lost the game.  Tai would be the first one to tell you he has struggled at times, but I don't ever see that kid not being a damn good teammate and working his butt off. So many people in this day in age when they don't see instant gratification fold up tent and give up.  Never have I seen that with Tai, and that's a credit to his toughness and character.

I just so wish I could sit behind some of you when you struggle on a test and laugh in your face.  Or if you don't do your best at work I would love to get on a message board or even face to face and tell you how awful you are at what you do. 

So you are a hypocrite is what you're saying?

Did my post offend you?  Did you not like me calling you and a few other posters out?  Did that hurt your ego?  Bug you?

Welcome to the life of some of our players on this board.

huskerbaseball, I actually almost always respect your opinion and your post.  I really do.  I was just kind of making a point that it stinks to get called out even if it is a message board.  I wanted to see how some would respond to the post. 

Look, we as fans get frustrated, I get that.  I'm one of them.  I can kind of see coaches taking some heat as they are paid well and they are the face of the program.  But unless any of our players break the law, or maybe do something stupid, I just have a hard time bashing them on a message board.  I may think it it my head, but that can't affect them.  If they do happen to read the board and see some of the things that "fans" say, then I do think it can definitely affect them.

Did my post offend you?  Did you not like me calling you and a few other posters out?  Did that hurt your ego?  Bug you?

Welcome to the life of some of our players on this board.

huskerbaseball, I actually almost always respect your opinion and your post.  I really do.  I was just kind of making a point that it stinks to get called out even if it is a message board.  I wanted to see how some would respond to the post. 

Look, we as fans get frustrated, I get that.  I'm one of them.  I can kind of see coaches taking some heat as they are paid well and they are the face of the program.  But unless any of our players break the law, or maybe do something stupid, I just have a hard time bashing them on a message board.  I may think it it my head, but that can't affect them.  If they do happen to read the board and see some of the things that "fans" say, then I do think it can definitely affect them.

Not offended in the least.  I am just the type of person who calls it like I see it.  But, that doesn't mean I'm always correct.  I didn't ready very many other post in this thread in regards to Tai...but was me calling him no hands Tai wrong? Probably.  Although, I do think that part of his game could use some work.  But I could have said it in a more constructive manner.  With that said, I don't see why evaluating a player and his abilities is a big no no.  Or evaluating this program and the distribution of the scholarships.  And if we are being honest, thus far Tai has been a bust COMPARED to the hype he received coming into the program.  Nor do I think it's totally crazy to contemplate Tai may not finish his career in this program if we decide to bring on a few more recruits.  I'm sure some players do read the boards...and while some may not like what they read I have to think they know what they are stepping into.  And if they don't like it, they do have the option not to read the material.      

Normally I try to step away from some of these discussions, but I'll make a couple points and leave it at that.

1) You're in a game thread. This is the worst place to visit if you're looking for any well thought-out discussion. Comments in here are ad hoc and spur-of-the-moment.

2) People are not going to the games or on the campus bashing any player. The closest thing I can think of to that would be tweeting the players, and we all know that's not in good taste.

3) You're on a message board with some of the greatest and most loyal fans of Nebraska athletics. You, along with (dimes, insert the number unique visitors on this message board) fans are all looking out for the best interest of the program, the players, and all families involved.