Benny Parker

husker8282

Benny. Benny played 27 minutes: 1 for 2 from the floor; 2 assists; 2 turnovers; 2 rebounds; 0 fouls; 1 steal. Not bad for a bum knee--can't wait to see what he can do with some more experience under his belt and fully-functioning wheels..

Shavon.Benny's wounded compatriot, freshman Shavon Shields, played 30 minutes: 3 for 10 shooting; 0-fer 4 from three (every one of those misses had to crawl out of the bottom of the rim); 1 for 1 from the line; 4 fouls--at least 3 were charges (a bad call or two in there?); 2 rebounds; 3 turnovers. Shavon spent a large part of the game playing where Andre should have been playing. Once Shavon has the experience to slip away from those charges and once those long balls start crawling in instead of out, he should be a force on this team.

So . . . here is a prediction: when both Benny and Shavon are healed up and have the majority of this season of experience under their belts, they will be major cogs on this team. So . . . hopes and prayers for their good heath the rest of the way!!

Benny. Benny played 27 minutes: 1 for 2 from the floor; 2 assists; 2 turnovers; 2 rebounds; 0 fouls; 1 steal. Not bad for a bum knee--can't wait to see what he can do with some more experience under his belt and fully-functioning wheels..

Shavon.Benny's wounded compatriot, freshman Shavon Shields, played 30 minutes: 3 for 10 shooting; 0-fer 4 from three (every one of those misses had to crawl out of the bottom of the rim); 1 for 1 from the line; 4 fouls--at least 3 were charges (a bad call or two in there?); 2 rebounds; 3 turnovers. Shavon spent a large part of the game playing where Andre should have been playing. Once Shavon has the experience to slip away from those charges and once those long balls start crawling in instead of out, he should be a force on this team.

So . . . here is a prediction: when both Benny and Shavon are healed up and have the majority of this season of experience under their belts, they will be major cogs on this team. So . . . hopes and prayers for their good heath the rest of the way!!

If your talking about helping out this year, I would agree. If your talking about for next year, then I'd say "maybe" on Shields and "no" on Parker. Benny needs to enjoy this year as he will be in the same boat Meinke is this year. He will only get playing time if someone gets hurt or it's a blowout.

KLDM, I wouldn't be so quick to write off Benny Parker. Keep in mind, he's a true freshman playing in the first 10 games of his college career.

By the way, the kid who hit the game-winning shot for Butler against #1 ranked Indiana was a 5-11 former walk-on guard who's averaging double-figure minutes as a sophomore this year. You don't think Benny is capable of developing his game? Benny has some upside. Don't sell the kid short.

I like Benny. The guy was thrown into the wolves not a lot of talent around him. Its damn hard being a true freshman PG at the D-1 level. Benny is hands down our best on ball defender and for the most part does what we ask of him on the offensive side. Get them into their sets and don't turn the ball over. To judge him after 9 games is crazy. Plus, the guy has a 2-1 assist/turnover ratio. Again, this guy is a FRESHMAN. If you put him around more players that can do more things I bet you will see a much better player. Give this man some time. I think he will do just fine here when its all said and done.

I'm with bball and norm on this one. The guy's not even a third of the way through his first of four seasons here. Not to mention he's playing hurt. I know the freshmen that come in and light the world on fire get all the headlines, but they're also not common. I think the kid's comported pretty well for himself so far. and as was mentioned, when he gets a more complete team around him, I think you'll see his game blossom.

I hope you are right Norm. I also am skeptical at this point.

I'm just saying it's too early to judge the kid and write him off as not being worthy of a scholarship to play at this level. I'm not saying he's the next Tyron Lue. But it's far too early to write him off. As others have pointed out, he's a really green rookie on a team that lacks in the way of supporting cast. He's got a tough job this year. Any projections about his playing time next year are way too premature.

This is a big, big jump for Benny. It's not as if the kid was playing at a power prep school or anything like that, he played ball at the 2nd largest class in Kansas. I would say he's coming along well and has rather high potential. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he'll be a starting point guard on an NCAA Tournament team before he's done here.

Let's say Benny doesn't develop like I think though. Let's say he's a backup PG during his career here. Having a great defending PG come off your bench with a year of starting experience can only be a good thing.

Benny was a 3 * recruit and was sniffed out by DePaul, Creighton, and Indiana State amongst others. And although he did not play at the highest HS level, he did play AAU ball against many of the top programs. Benny needs to refine or build his offensive skillset, but he plays pretty decent defense. He is dinged up and it is hard to play "your game" if you are limited. I think he will be okay if we can surround him with the right players.

Here is my only issue, can we get to the next level with players that are "okay" -- "pretty decent" -- "complimentary". Again, every team need role players...but you need studs to take it to the next level.

benny'll be fine. at a minimum a serviceable backup, which is valuable. he has god quickness, great hands, solid judgment and good vision. those are all big at the position.

btw, given how few shooters our team has, he'll look worse than he should given that his options for distribution will be tighter than many teams. it's a lot harder to run the offense when you only have maybe two viable passing lanes on any given possession and your opponent knows it.

what I like about him is hi on-ball quickness. He could actually develop into a nice ball thief with work.