Sam Mckewon asks...

trickey

I could not care less if you answer Sam on twitter...but perhaps it is of interest to respond here...especially since we lost in our building. I am still dumbfounded and extremely dissappointed.

This is much to often a conversation in Omaha. I am tired of saying, "Well yeah, but not next year."

And I really do believe that.

Any thoughts?

I've written as much on Twitter all year. I think Creighton's more talented top to bottom, even if Nebraska has the two best players. I feel like Creighton should have a better record than it does. I feel like Tim Miles has done a pretty good coaching job this year given the injuries and the talent on hand. 

It's worth noting almost no one agrees with me on the talent issue and I'm one person with a thought.  

Creighton has more talent, but should have a better record than it does.  And it should have a better record than it does, because it has more talent.

Hmmmmm.  The results certainly don't prove the premise.

Maybe Creighton doesn't have a better record than it does because it really doesn't have superior talent?

I'm not convinced that the Big East is really a better conference, either.

What they have that's better is they have some better shooters.  But, take away their walk-on, and they're going to look pretty pedestrian.

Sam has an inflated opinion of Creighton.  He told his twitter followers to watch out for Creighton because they were going to be a lot better than what people give them credit for.  Only to watch them fall flat on their face this year.  Sam also said this..."Creighton has a better-assembled, deeper team than Nebraska.  If nothing else, Mac is a better "GM" than Miles over the last three years."  Had a great laugh at that one. 

Again: I think it's true. I think Creighton has underachieved, and I do think McDermott has assembled, over the last several years, a more complete roster of talent. 

And I will say, again: Neither Nebraska nor Creighton fan agrees. I know why Creighton fan doesn't -- because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative of Creighton hoops, which is, now that Doug's gone, it's going to take several seasons to get "Big East talent," whatever that is. 

Well, let's take a look at the last 3 classes signed by the coaches.

Nebraska

2012: Keep in mind Miles was hired in March of this class

Biggs- Dismissed from the team

Parker- Doc recruit, if you don't want to give Miles credit for him understandable. 

Shields- Doc recruit, if you don't want to give Miles credit for him understandable...but credit should be given to Miles for developing a prospect who was not highly regarded

Vucetic- Transfer

Petteway- One of the top players in the Big Ten and country; Possible draft pick

Pitchford- Solid campaign in his sophomore year; Struggling this year

Fuller- RS Freshman this year; Not receiving much PT

Hawkins- Transfer to be closer to home

Smith- Injury problems; Gives NU some sort of presence down low when he can provide minutes

Webster- Highly regarded prospect; Struggling to find his game in America

Hammond- Would have RS if injuries did not occur.  Looks to have ability but needs to bulk up

Smith- Best Miles HS recruit to date; Plus athletic ability and long for a guard

Creighton

Yates- Transfer

Zierden- Injury problems, Solid shooter; Bad defender; Not athletic

Hanson- Third in line at center; Has not panned out

Harris- Transfer

Milliken- RS JUCO; Shooting 37% from the floor this year

Brooks- Good athlete; Spaz on the floor..shooting 34% from the floor this year

Hegner- Akin to Pitchford...likes to shoot the 3. Does not do anything else well

2014-

Gilmore- Can't find any minutes on a bad Creighton team; Can't shoot the ball\

Harrell- RS this year

Kreklow- Probably the most productive player for McDermott in his last three classes...and hes AVG 7 points this year

Keeping in mind that Miles has had essentially two classes to rebuild the disaster Doc left him...I'm finding it hard to agree with you that McDermott has out "GM'd" Miles the last three years. 

Creighton has more talent, but should have a better record than it does.  And it should have a better record than it does, because it has more talent.

Maybe Creighton doesn't have a better record than it does because it really doesn't have superior talent?

What they have that's better is they have some better shooters.  But, take away their walk-on, and they're going to look pretty pedestrian.

The Big East is better because they have less middle tier teams and less bad teams, not necessarily because they have better teams.

Those guys up the road talk about the Rick Johnson era because they've been used to winning in the MVC for a long time. What they should be talking about is the Collier/Sadler era or the McDermott Iowa St era because trying to find guys who are skilled and athletic enough to play in a high level conference is tough.

McDermott had talent at Iowa State. More than enough. 

Talent acquisition has never been a particular issue for him. He can recruit. 

How did they do this year with recruits who had offers from other power basketball conferences?

Offers in basketball don't always work like they do in football. 

That said, Nebraska's recruiting class appears better to me, even if Creighton may have gotten the best player of the bunch in Patton. I also like Khyri Thomas a lot, but I've seen him play a lot, too. 

The Big East is better because they have less middle tier teams and less bad teams, not necessarily because they have better teams.

Those guys up the road talk about the Rick Johnson era because they've been used to winning in the MVC for a long time. What they should be talking about is the Collier/Sadler era or the McDermott Iowa St era because trying to find guys who are skilled and athletic enough to play in a high level conference is tough.

Craig Brackins was big time and easily the most touted recruit McD has landed in his career. Melvin Ejim and Diante Garrett were solid grabs. Iowa St had more than enough talent for what though? To hang with Kansas, Frank Martin Kansas St, Turgeon Texas A&M, Texas?  Those teams are landing a Craig Brackins every year...not just once in a career. 

How did they do this year with recruits who had offers from other power basketball conferences?

Offers in basketball don't always work like they do in football. 

That said, Nebraska's recruiting class appears better to me, even if Creighton may have gotten the best player of the bunch in Patton. I also like Khyri Thomas a lot, but I've seen him play a lot, too. 

Patton may turn out to be a pretty solid player for CU.  But (on paper) and because of who they play on a nightly basis I like Ed Morrow and Glynn Watson better.  I think Jacobson may be the "sleeper" of the group as well.  And don't count out Miles finding a solid JUCO or D-1 transfer.

What does that have to do with anything?  

Creighton can put a true 1-5 on the court, with subs.  That alone makes them more talented than our roster because their talent is skill and position specific.  I don't think their team is incomplete as much as I think they are full of ordinary players.  

Next year, we can put a true 1-5 on the court, with subs, and athleticism.  That will make us more talented than them and a lot of other teams.  

Sam: I think a more relevant question might be whether Butler had a "more talented" roster than the Jays since they will be playing them twice as often as NU in the future. You might consider visiting the Bulldog's site and posing the same question. As one who has followed Butler for years, I have always been impressed with their ability to achieve success in a state ruled by Indiana with a roster of players who slipped under the recruiting radar. Remember they only missed the NCAA title by an inch or so. Also was nice to see Barry and his wife back in Omaha again along with one of the more prominent branches from his coaching tree.

Again: I think it's true. I think Creighton has underachieved, and I do think McDermott has assembled, over the last several years, a more complete roster of talent. 

And I will say, again: Neither Nebraska nor Creighton fan agrees. I know why Creighton fan doesn't -- because it doesn't fit the preferred narrative of Creighton hoops, which is, now that Doug's gone, it's going to take several seasons to get "Big East talent," whatever that is. 

The current narrative for Bluejay fan is the team is full of "MVC role-player types" playing way above their heads to remain competitive in the "big boy" Big East.

But that is kind of disingenuous and really just a way to excuse poor performance IMO.  Does that mean they're more talented than the Huskers?  Probably depends on criteria, but overall I wouldn't say so.  It's probably pretty even.  Apples and oranges though, the two teams play in different leagues.

Talent acquisition has never been a particular issue for him. He can recruit

Well, I am responding to the contention that McDermott is a good recruiter.  While he had Brackins at ISU and Brackins was a terrific player, Brackins was about the ONLY major recruiting coup that McDermott had at ISU.

If the claim is that McDermott can recruit just fine at Creighton, I think you'd have to say the jury is really still out on that.

If you assume that head-to-head recruiting battles with other major conference schools is a good indication of recruiting prowess, then the November class that Creighton signed does NOT support the contention that McDermott is a capable recruiter in the Big East conference.

I'll grant you Patton is a top 50 kid.  And I think Patton has terrific upside, although as I said in a different thread, I think Thomas is the better player right now and will probably be more ready to contribute earlier in his career.  But, having said that, Patton committed to Creighton before he had any other major offers.  So, while he's a highly regarded kid, McDermott didn't win a recruiting battle to get him.

McDermott did, however, whiff on a number of players with major offers, including:  Matt McQuaid who committed to MSU; Chris Clarke who committed to Va Tech; Ed Morrow who committed to Nebraska; Glynn Watson who committed to Nebraska; Connor Frankamp who visited CU after leaving KU; and Juwan Morgan who committed to Indiana.  (I may have missed some.)

McDermott landed some great visits, but he wasn't able to close.

The kids he did get did NOT have major offers.  And they could turn out to be fabulous players, but they didn't have major offers. 

So, at least as far as evaluating closing ability compared to other major programs, the 2015 class recruiting results do not support the conclusion that McDermott is a capable recruiter.

I guess that's what that has to do with the topic.  Sam made a claim; I asked a question because I think the answer to my question calls into doubt his claim.  That's all.

And, for the record, I'm not saying that Greg McDermott is a bad recruiter, either.  I'm just not sure you can yet conclude that he'll be able to land Big East-level talent on a sustained basis.  His first full recruiting year in the Big East would not necessarily support that conclusion and I don't think his time at ISU would either.

I'm not trying to slight you, Mose, and I'm trying to be careful not to bash Creighton, either, although a part of me would enjoy rubbing it in some noses over on the BJU.  But yours is not one of them and it is not now, nor has it ever been, my purpose to try to troll you or the other Creighton fans who post here.

Creighton can put a true 1-5 on the court, with subs.  That alone makes them more talented than our roster because their talent is skill and position specific.  I don't think their team is incomplete as much as I think they are full of ordinary players.  

Next year, we can put a true 1-5 on the court, with subs, and athleticism.  That will make us more talented than them and a lot of other teams.  

Who is our true 5 for next year?  I missed the news if we've gotten a new commit from someone.

Sam: I think a more relevant question might be whether Butler had a "more talented" roster than the Jays since they will be playing them twice as often as NU in the future. You might consider visiting the Bulldog's site and posing the same question. As one who has followed Butler for years, I have always been impressed with their ability to achieve success in a state ruled by Indiana with a roster of players who slipped under the recruiting radar. Remember they only missed the NCAA title by an inch or so. Also was nice to see Barry and his wife back in Omaha again along with one of the more prominent branches from his coaching tree.

Did any of the Creighton fans try to page Bobby Lutz?

Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see Mcdermott bolt for another job within the next couple years.

He is the type to get out while the getting's good, like Frank Haith did at Mizzou and he himself did at Iowa State.  While it's yet to be seen if he's able to get - and then manage - the type of talent needed to perform consistently at a high level, if he has another sub-par year next year (not predicting mind you, only hypothesizing) his history might lead one to conclude that he'd be more than happy to bolt for a quality mid-major type job before sideways glances from boosters and administration aim in his direction.

But that's pretty tangential to the topic of discussion at hand really.

Who is our true 5 for next year?  I missed the news if we've gotten a new commit from someone.

Jake Hammond?

Craig Brackins was big time and easily the most touted recruit McD has landed in his career. Melvin Ejim and Diante Garrett were solid grabs. Iowa St had more than enough talent for what though? To hang with Kansas, Frank Martin Kansas St, Turgeon Texas A&M, Texas?  Those teams are landing a Craig Brackins every year...not just once in a career. 

He recruited Wesley Johnson to ISU, too. Johnson left, but, again, ask around: McDermott can recruit.

Talent acquisition has never been a particular issue for him. He can recruit

Well, I am responding to the contention that McDermott is a good recruiter.  While he had Brackins at ISU and Brackins was a terrific player, Brackins was about the ONLY major recruiting coup that McDermott had at ISU.

If the claim is that McDermott can recruit just fine at Creighton, I think you'd have to say the jury is really still out on that.

If you assume that head-to-head recruiting battles with other major conference schools is a good indication of recruiting prowess, then the November class that Creighton signed does NOT support the contention that McDermott is a capable recruiter in the Big East conference.

I'll grant you Patton is a top 50 kid.  And I think Patton has terrific upside, although as I said in a different thread, I think Thomas is the better player right now and will probably be more ready to contribute earlier in his career.  But, having said that, Patton committed to Creighton before he had any other major offers.  So, while he's a highly regarded kid, McDermott didn't win a recruiting battle to get him.

McDermott did, however, whiff on a number of players with major offers, including:  Matt McQuaid who committed to MSU; Chris Clarke who committed to Va Tech; Ed Morrow who committed to Nebraska; Glynn Watson who committed to Nebraska; Connor Frankamp who visited CU after leaving KU; and Juwan Morgan who committed to Indiana.  (I may have missed some.)

McDermott landed some great visits, but he wasn't able to close.

The kids he did get did NOT have major offers.  And they could turn out to be fabulous players, but they didn't have major offers. 

So, at least as far as evaluating closing ability compared to other major programs, the 2015 class recruiting results do not support the conclusion that McDermott is a capable recruiter.

I guess that's what that has to do with the topic.  Sam made a claim; I asked a question because I think the answer to my question calls into doubt his claim.  That's all.

Not sure if Mo Watson and Cole Huff count as "recruits" -- since Petteway is Nebraska's best player, I don't see how they don't -- but McDermott won some pretty significant recruiting battles there. 

I could not care less if you answer Sam on twitter...but perhaps it is of interest to respond here...especially since we lost in our building. I am still dumbfounded and extremely dissappointed.

This is much to often a conversation in Omaha. I am tired of saying, "Well yeah, but not next year."

And I really do believe that.

Any thoughts?

I've written as much on Twitter all year. I think Creighton's more talented top to bottom, even if Nebraska has the two best players. I feel like Creighton should have a better record than it does. I feel like Tim Miles has done a pretty good coaching job this year given the injuries and the talent on hand. 

It's worth noting almost no one agrees with me on the talent issue and I'm one person with a thought.  

Sam has an inflated opinion of Creighton.  He told his twitter followers to watch out for Creighton because they were going to be a lot better than what people give them credit for.  Only to watch them fall flat on their face this year.  Sam also said this..."Creighton has a better-assembled, deeper team than Nebraska.  If nothing else, Mac is a better "GM" than Miles over the last three years."  Had a great laugh at that one. 

Well, let's take a look at the last 3 classes signed by the coaches.

Nebraska

2012: Keep in mind Miles was hired in March of this class

Biggs- Dismissed from the team

Parker- Doc recruit, if you don't want to give Miles credit for him understandable. 

Shields- Doc recruit, if you don't want to give Miles credit for him understandable...but credit should be given to Miles for developing a prospect who was not highly regarded

Vucetic- Transfer

Petteway- One of the top players in the Big Ten and country; Possible draft pick

Pitchford- Solid campaign in his sophomore year; Struggling this year

Fuller- RS Freshman this year; Not receiving much PT

Hawkins- Transfer to be closer to home

Smith- Injury problems; Gives NU some sort of presence down low when he can provide minutes

Webster- Highly regarded prospect; Struggling to find his game in America

Hammond- Would have RS if injuries did not occur.  Looks to have ability but needs to bulk up

Smith- Best Miles HS recruit to date; Plus athletic ability and long for a guard

Creighton

Yates- Transfer

Zierden- Injury problems, Solid shooter; Bad defender; Not athletic

Hanson- Third in line at center; Has not panned out

Harris- Transfer

Milliken- RS JUCO; Shooting 37% from the floor this year

Brooks- Good athlete; Spaz on the floor..shooting 34% from the floor this year

Hegner- Akin to Pitchford...likes to shoot the 3. Does not do anything else well

2014-

Gilmore- Can't find any minutes on a bad Creighton team; Can't shoot the ball\

Harrell- RS this year

Kreklow- Probably the most productive player for McDermott in his last three classes...and hes AVG 7 points this year

Keeping in mind that Miles has had essentially two classes to rebuild the disaster Doc left him...I'm finding it hard to agree with you that McDermott has out "GM'd" Miles the last three years. 

Brooks, Milliken and Zierden are all more productive than Kreklow. 

Miles has had three classes, obviously, since the first one was overwhelmingly his best. 

The Jays have won three of their past fifteen games. They beat the Huskers in the same week that Incarnate Word did the same. And Mc-Somebody wants to know which team has more talent. Seriously?!

This is reminiscent of the days when Doc went 50/50 against Altman and we heard about how CU was really a better program and the Valley just as good as the Big XII. Frankly, it's an irrelevant issue. Two teams struggling mightily. And we're arguing about which is worse? Good grief.