Y'know, it wasn't all bad last night. There were some bright spots.

Norm Peterson

People have mentioned the gritty performance of Tai Webster really hustling on D and trying to step up on O as well.  And Tai deserves some credit for that performance.  I think he's really tried to step up and showed that he's a valuable member of this team, notwithstanding that some thought he should just hop on a boat and paddle back to New Zealand at the end of last semester.  I'm glad he didn't.

The other one last night was Shavon Shields working at getting aggressive in the low post.  We've had virtually no low post offense this season.  Leslee has given us a little bit of a boost since returning from that knee injury.  But, night in and night out, we haven't had it.

So, last night in the late second half, I was really encouraged to see Shavon attack the paint.  And not so much from a dribble-drive perspective, but from a back-to-the-basket, wheel-on-your-defender, go-up-strong kind of perspective.  And he scored over Kaminsky a couple of times with some kind of traditional post moves in the paint.  We need that.

And give him credit because, at 6'7", taking the ball at Kaminsky ain't easy. 

Be nice if Shavon was, y'know, like 3 inches taller.  Just a little more height and a little better leaper and he'd give us a very credible low-post scoring threat.  Because you saw him wheel and make the moves inside like you'd want a post to do.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had like a 6'10" guy who could do that for us?  Man, what a boost to our offense that would be.

So, last night in the late second half, I was really encouraged to see Shavon attack the paint.  And not so much from a dribble-drive perspective, but from a back-to-the-basket, wheel-on-your-defender, go-up-strong kind of perspective.  And he scored over Kaminsky a couple of times with some kind of traditional post moves in the paint.  We need that.

And give him credit because, at 6'7", taking the ball at Kaminsky ain't easy. 

Be nice if Shavon was, y'know, like 3 inches taller.  Just a little more height and a little better leaper and he'd give us a very credible low-post scoring threat.  Because you saw him wheel and make the moves inside like you'd want a post to do.

Andre Smith was the same height, and if I'm not mistaken, was Big 8 POY as our center.  I'm not saying Shavon should move to the post, but maybe Shavon should move to the post.  :)

If Shavon continues working on his post moves it's quite possible we could see him at the 4 a lot next season with TP and AWIII at the 2 & 3, especially if our starting 5 is still playing on the perimeter and Hammond is not ready to play a lot of minutes. It would probably help  him get to the line more, too.

There have definitely been smaller players who have held their own in the low post in the past. I'm not saying Shavon will suddenly be Adrian Dantley but a reasonable impression of Dantley could be possible.

If Shavon continues working on his post moves it's quite possible we could see him at the 4 a lot next season with TP and AWIII at the 2 & 3, especially if our starting 5 is still playing on the perimeter and Hammond is not ready to play a lot of minutes. It would probably help  him get to the line more, too.

There have definitely been smaller players who have held their own in the low post in the past. I'm not saying Shavon will suddenly be Adrian Dantley but a reasonable impression of Dantley could be possible.

Yep, Shavon develops a decent 3-pt shot & he'd be the Ryan Anderson of this team, and that's either the Ryan Anderson of Nebrasketball past or the NBA Ryan Anderson (take yer pick ;) )

cough cough walt cough cough

Man, if ONLY we had a 6'10" guy with some athletic ability instead of having to rely on a 6'7" kid to try to take it at Kaminsky in the paint.  Wonder where we could find such a person?  Six foot, ten inches tall.  A little leaping ability.  A little shooting touch would be a bonus.

Hold on, wait a sec, Leslee?  Ah, shucks, no.  Leslee is only 6'8".  Bad knees.  But gotta love some of the hustle we have always seen out of Leslee.

Now, if we could only find a 6'10" guy with good knees.  Hmmm.

I'm at a loss.  Truly.

You mean "Walt P for 3" that thinks of himself as a 6'-10" shooting guard?! 

To be fair, Walt has occasionally tried to take it to the rim when facing the rim, but make no mistake, Pitch is not a back-to-the-basket PF, & likely will not develop into that role after 3-1/2 years of college ball. Could he? Maybe. Will he? Doubtful.

To be fair, Walt has occasionally tried to take it to the rim when facing the rim, but make no mistake, Pitch is not a back-to-the-basket PF, & likely will not develop into that role after 3-1/2 years of college ball. Could he? Maybe. Will he? Doubtful.

I was soooo thrilled the other night watching Shavon go on the attack in the paint with his back to the basket, trying like hell to go over, around, through, or any number of other prepositions, Frank Kaminsky.  And I kept thinking, man, if only Shields was a little taller, he could go right over the top of Kaminsky and get those shots off. 

Shavon isn't getting any taller, though.  I wonder where we could find a guy with that kind of height?

It's a mystery.

I was soooo thrilled the other night watching Shavon go on the attack in the paint with his back to the basket, trying like hell to go over, around, through, or any number of other prepositions, Frank Kaminsky.  And I kept thinking, man, if only Shields was a little taller, he could go right over the top of Kaminsky and get those shots off. 

Shavon isn't getting any taller, though.  I wonder where we could find a guy with that kind of height?

It's a mystery.

Ed Morrow Jr is who you're thinking of, correct? He is 6'-8" & growing.... :D