The Petteway Factor

Handy Johnson

Consistency remains the key...and again, I wish TP didn't visiably display his emotions.  If I were guarding him, I would love to see him emotionally detached or angry...that would be a big win for me...but again, back to that word consistent.  I would be frustrated if I were TP.  Officials tend to provide a certain degree of (ahem) respect to players who,over time, earn that (ahem) respect.  TP has historically been very respectful to the officials.  What has happened this year?  He is getting called for rather soft fouls.  He is getting called for player control fouls.  Defenses seem to get away with playing him physical.  Nebraska in general is struggling from the outside, and when we attempt to drive, we are not getting to the line...why? 

I don't know the answers, but it certainly seems as though games are not consistently called by game officials, and frustrations build. 

Not an excuse mind you, but I think any college player that has the potential of TP would be frustrated by what is going on.  Compare and contrast him to Doug Mc last year.  It seemed that any close call would go his way.  Why? 

Because Dougie McD was advertised as the best offensive player in college basketball and ,like it or not, there will always be a human element in refereeing ( at least until robots are perfected in the future). Therefore most refs tended to make borderline calls in his favor rather than be the jerk who fouls out such an "elite" player. The same thinking made Craft get all the defensive borderline calls last year. While TP is good and the best we have, no one touts him as the "best offensive player in the nation" yet. Boy, I can hardly wait to pick up one of those robot centers, come to think of it.

Handy, go listen to the Harriman segment that dimes posted up in the Molinari thread if you haven't already.  He spends a fair amount of time addressing the TP stuff and it sounds like he's going through a lot of stuff in his personal life that we probably don't know most of the story on.

Doesn't excuse the behavior really, but perhaps helps explain it some.

Thanks Niner, I'll be in Lincoln this weekend, so I'll try to get the word on the street...

I would view criticism and "bashing" as two entirely different levels.  T.P. has been a wonderful player for Nebraska and is effort is always to be admired.  I hope he comes back for another year (he clearly is not ready to play in the NBA) but would like to have him develop a better handle on dealing with his frustrations.  

I also would like to see how TP would fit in with a team which has other scoring options. I would think pro scouts might like to see this too. The pressure of being the sole "scoring option" for this team has to be a mental burden. Shields seems to have a different mind set and although he is a good scorer, seems to fit in to the "dependable best buddy" role comfortably. However, family situation, financial considerations, possibility of injury, and projected draft position will ultimately be the deciding factors rather than the fate of the program here next year.

First let me say that TP has great talent and he gives you everything he's got and without him the huskers would be a joke this year.

However, It was obvious to me that there is something bad going on between teammates that is adversely affecting the quality of play. It seemed to be there even early in the season but I tried to dismiss it based on the solid run these same guys had last year.

There was a lack of cohesiveness that mostly showed up in road games but now it is evident even in home games.

Observation:

TP could have been whistled for four T's in the WI game. That's what I saw at the game and that's what the announcers pretty much said. They also said TP is fighting his coach. This game was a monumental meltdown by TP that seems to be an indication that an explosion is on the horizon.

TP had to be restrained by teammates twice during the game. He bumped the official once. He said F... Y.. To Miles during a timeout and yet continued to play after doing so. This sends a powerful message to the team that there's two sets of rules or consequences.

I heard from a source who has never exaggerated or been prone to unfounded rumors that one of TP's teammates, who is in the playing rotation, said that the situation with TP is not good and getting worse.

I love Husker Hoops and root for every player on the team but things seem to be in a meltdown mode. The defense remains rock solid but the offense seems more like watching rugby than basketball. I sure hope the guys can find a way to play together on offense even if there's bad blood in the air.

Handy, go listen to the Harriman segment that dimes posted up in the Molinari thread if you haven't already.  He spends a fair amount of time addressing the TP stuff and it sounds like he's going through a lot of stuff in his personal life that we probably don't know most of the story on.

My first thought when I heard Harriman was that Petteway's mom's cancer might be back.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want to speculate and didn't wan it to be true.

By Lee Barfknecht / World-Herald BureauThe Omaha World-Herald

LINCOLN — Nebraska All-Big Ten wing Terran Petteway on Friday revealed that his mother, Joetta, is fighting cancer again, and apologized to his teammates and Husker nation for letting it affect his play.

NU coach Tim Miles said Petteway was so distraught with his recent play that he offered to resign his two-year captaincy, which Miles immediately rejected. Many teammates didn't know what Petteway was going through.

Going public, which was Petteway's idea, led to relief throughout the team, Miles said.

"I really think this is going to help him,'' the coach said. "He broke down in front of the team. Guys were all in total support.''

Petteway is the Big Ten's third leading scorer at 18.9 points a game. On Tuesday against No. 5 Wisconsin, he had 23 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals.

Nuf said...a lot going on in these kids' lives.  Hard to play a game...hard to do ANYTHING...when someone you love is going through this torture.  God bless the Petteway family.

Please forgive me for not having rushed to climb aboard the 'Bash Terran, Tarin, Molinari, Miles (or whoever) Express!' redface.gif

This sort of revelation and coach dropping the word "message board" is going to cause some digging. Guys, before people start going back through a bunch of posts, don't make it an exercise on pointing out what everyone has said over the last past days/month. Instead, if you are looking back I would challenge you to read what you personally might have said and if there was something you might have regretted, use that as guidance talking about players going forward.

And to top it off he hasn't seen his mom since December. How many of us could do that?

Here is the link to the article, I hope it works.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/petteway-opens-up-to-team-on-personal-troubles/article_e19607e8-b3c1-11e4-bcdf-579d24eae688.html?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitte

My first thought when I heard Harriman was that Petteway's mom's cancer might be back.

I didn't say anything because I didn't want to speculate and didn't wan it to be true.

Yep, that was my first thought too.  It's why I encouraged others to listen to that segment before commenting further.

Now that more is known, I hope there aren't too many people that sprain their ankle getting off their high horse.