Okay not the news we want to hear.

Silverbacked1

Just saw this on Robin Washut tweet:

Robin Washut@RobinWashut

Miles also said Benny Parker suffered a mild sprain of his MCL this week. He is also questionable for Saturdays game at Oregon.

4m 41025_744518816333_17223011_41375510_3396777_n_normal.jpgRobin Washut@RobinWashut

Miles said Shavon Shields suffered a setback after getting his injured elbow hit in practice. His status is questionable moving forward.

I hope this is not something that will kill us this year.

This on the other hand is a funny tweet.

Tunnel Walk of Shame@TunnelWalkShame

Get out there and support Mike Peltz tonight. His big new movie The Hobbit opens at midnight. #YouShallNotBouncePass pic.twitter.com/aNrEusZA

Tunnel walk of Shame is very funny. If you haven't been on that site, you need to.

Benny should be fine with only a mild sprain of his MCL. But I don't like the wording of Shields' status being "questionable moving forward." If this is something that's going to require a 2nd surgery or something can we just shelf him for the year and go after a medical redshirt? He's only played in 3 games right? Well under the 25% or whatever the rule is.

ajb, I believe you are correct. Last I checked, the rule was that the injured player cannot have competed in more than 30% (rounded down) of the team's total games for the season and any participation must have happened before the halfway point. So, any games played after the season is halfway over would nullify a medical redshirt no matter how few games the player had participated in.

I don't want Shavon to play anymore this year. Would be a waste. He missed most of the games he could "develop" in any way. Throwing him in halfway through big ten season will make him lost and hurt his confidence. Our freshman class of Webster, Fuller, Hawkins would look dynamite with Shields and a big. Not good for balancing classes but really good 3 years from now.

I don't want Shavon to play anymore this year. Would be a waste. He missed most of the games he could "develop" in any way. Throwing him in halfway through big ten season will make him lost and hurt his confidence. Our freshman class of Webster, Fuller, Hawkins would look dynamite with Shields and a big. Not good for balancing classes but really good 3 years from now.

unless he requires surgery I think you need to heal and play him. One for the reason you mentioned in balance. We need some badly. That class is already over-sized and to make it larger would be a catastrophe recruiting wise. Also we NEED some experience for next year. If we shut down Shields we bring back Parker and Gallegos as the only scholarship players to play for Miles coming into next season. It may be a lackluster season but you have to hope he gets his minutes and in 4 years we can upgrade because we've become a better team.

unless he requires surgery I think you need to heal and play him. One for the reason you mentioned in balance. We need some badly. That class is already over-sized and to make it larger would be a catastrophe recruiting wise. Also we NEED some experience for next year. If we shut down Shields we bring back Parker and Gallegos as the only scholarship players to play for Miles coming into next season. It may be a lackluster season but you have to hope he gets his minutes and in 4 years we can upgrade because we've become a better team.

Yeah you're probably right. But we could redshirt Hawkins to help the balance. For me it depends how long shields will be out. A couple weeks? Ok fine. Out until late January? Not worth it IMO. Sort out the numbers game later. It sounds like this injury will keep happening if it gets hit. If he comes back too early and plays a few games before getting hurt again we wasted a year on him. A lot of my opinion is due to thinking shields is going to be really really good in 4 years.

too bad there isn't an eligible juco all american point guard on the bench...

yes lets burn biggs' redshirt so we can finish with 14 wins instead of 10

This team is still 6-2 and beat Valpo, Wake, and USC with 6 scholarship guys, so it isn't crazy to think that a juco all american would help give this team a shot at getting the B1G's last spot into the tournament.

Ubel, Gallegos, and Talley are all greatly improved, but obviously nobody expected that at the beginning of the season. The injuries to Parker and Shields would not have been that big of a deal if Biggs was playing.

Miles brought biggs in for 2 reasons in my opinion:

1. He could play and start right away.

2. He might be able to bring the best HS nebraska player in the last 10 years with him.

Neither of those happened.

He could still be a good player in 13 and 14, but I would rather have seen him on the floor now.

too bad there isn't an eligible juco all american point guard on the bench...

yes lets burn biggs' redshirt so we can finish with 14 wins instead of 10

I understand what you're saying. We waste a redshirt year and it only makes us marginally better. Maybe. Is it worth it? That's a good question.

What happens if we don't burn his shirt and we only win 3 more games all season? Or 4 in your scenario? Would that potentially hurt recruiting efforts? It might.

If we burn the shirt and get to 14 wins as you suggest, there won't be as much negative effect on future recruiting if there's a negative effect at all. I think that's something to consider.

I think Doc hit a brick wall with recruiting because, after 4 years, the program didn't appear to be moving forward. In order for Miles to avoid that, he's going to have to consider things that help him win more games sooner. JMOO.

I don't think this season is going to have any more damage done to us recruiting-wise that hasn't already been done. No one expected a miracle out of Coach Miles his first season with what he has to work with.

I leave Biggs on the bench. From what my pea brain has picked up he wanted to redshirt. Coach Miles isn't making him sit there. Take your lumps this year and hope next year is as good as everyone thinks it will be.

I don't know how the medical redshirt thing goes but unless Sheilds' injury requires major surgery I don't think he can get one so the second he's ready you get his butt out there. Unless it's going to do serious harm to him.

If Coach Miles' pattern holds true we'll be doing fine in a couple years.

And ninja.... :ph34r:

NU needs Parker more than shields.

Totally disagree with you on this. We need a 6' 6" body that can help score and rebound more than we need a 5' 9" guard to bring the ball up the floor. Ray could take over this role if needed with help from other guards. We need more scoring threats at this point.