The difference between 54 and 104 is ...

Norm Peterson

The difference between 54 and 104 is ... basically two losses.

Going by ESPN's Daily RPI numbers (I'm using ESPN's because they make it easy to compare), here are some numbers to consider.  This is a comparison of our win/loss totals against teams at various RPI levels.

Ill is currently #54       We're #104

RPI top 50:       2-3            2-3

RPI 51-100:       2-4            2-3

RPI 101-150:      4-1            3-1

RPI 150+:         7-0            6-2

So, we (at #104) and Illinois (at #54) have fairly comparable records against teams in the RPI top 50; against teams in the RPI 51-100; and against teams in the RPI 100-150.

The difference between 54 and 104?  Incarnate Word and Hawaii.

Give us those two games back and we would skyrocket up the RPI and have a lot less work to do to return to the dance.  And there would be a lot less angst on this board about the entire season if you give us those two games back.

While I won't sit here and argue the Incarnate Word loss, keep in mind if we beat Hawaii (which would be nice), we'd have then played Wichita State and Colorado. It's not like that would have been a guaranteed another win. Would have improved our SOS, sure. But not necessarily our RPI.  

While I won't sit here and argue the Incarnate Word loss, keep in mind if we beat Hawaii (which would be nice), we'd have then played Wichita State and Colorado. It's not like that would have been a guaranteed another win. Would have improved our SOS, sure. But not necessarily our RPI.  

I'd rather have a loss in the 0-50 category than have one in the 150+ category.

The difference between 54 and 104 is ... basically two losses.

Going by ESPN's Daily RPI numbers (I'm using ESPN's because they make it easy to compare), here are some numbers to consider.  This is a comparison of our win/loss totals against teams at various RPI levels.

Ill is currently #54       We're #104

RPI top 50:       2-3            2-3

RPI 51-100:       2-4            2-3

RPI 101-150:      4-1            3-1

RPI 150+:         7-0            6-2

So, we (at #104) and Illinois (at #54) have fairly comparable records against teams in the RPI top 50; against teams in the RPI 51-100; and against teams in the RPI 100-150.

The difference between 54 and 104?  Incarnate Word and Hawaii.

Give us those two games back and we would skyrocket up the RPI and have a lot less work to do to return to the dance.  And there would be a lot less angst on this board about the entire season if you give us those two games back.

Yep.  Using the RPI Wizard I changed Hawaii and IC to wins and added wins vs PSU, Maryland, Iowa to round out our schedule and we finished 18-12 RPI 53.  Adding back in the losses we finish 16-14 RPI 91.  Add in a shoulda would could win vs Krayton and we finish with an RPI of 41 and are talking about dancing even with an 8-10 Big Ten record. 

This team didn't really understand how important the non-con was as they were going through it, and I think part of that is due to the fact that they had a crappy non-con last year and still made it in. They didn't play with urgency. In reality, bubble teams can't drop games Incarnate Word, Creighton and Hawaii, much less all 3. Their NCAA hopes tail-spinned after that, and I don't think they fully understood that. Even if we'd just won IW and Creighton, RPI Wizard says we'd be 56 right now. The difference between this year and last is we didn't protect our home court against a couple bad teams. Disappointing, because we never should have lost those games. (Sorry to be a downer). 

This team didn't really understand how important the non-con was as they were going through it, and I think part of that is due to the fact that they had a crappy non-con last year and still made it in. They didn't play with urgency. In reality, bubble teams can't drop games Incarnate Word, Creighton and Hawaii, much less all 3. Their NCAA hopes tail-spinned after that, and I don't think they fully understood that. Even if we'd just won IW and Creighton, RPI Wizard says we'd be 56 right now. The difference between this year and last is we didn't protect our home court against a couple bad teams. Disappointing, because we never should have lost those games. (Sorry to be a downer).

I wouldn't call you a downer at all. It's being realistic. When we played Creighton, they weren't as bad as they are now due to injuries and such, but I still can't fathom losing to a team like Incarnate Word. I just can't.

Completely agree. But you also might have gone 1-2 after you beat Hawaii and it really would have been a wash effect on the RPI if you ask me.

Completely agree. But you also might have gone 1-2 after you beat Hawaii and it really would have been a wash effect on the RPI if you ask me.

RPIWizard says if we had beaten Hawaii, then lost to Wichita State and Colorado, our RPI would be 112 right now and we'd be 12-10. Instead, we are 13-9 and our RPI is 103. Even had we beaten Colorado, our RPI would be 99, only 4 spots better. 

So you are correct. Where this team really hurt its chances this season was Incarnate Word and Creighton. A stretch of four fateful days in December in our own arena. 

RPIWizard says if we had beaten Hawaii, then lost to Wichita State and Colorado, our RPI would be 112 right now and we'd be 12-10. Instead, we are 13-9 and our RPI is 103. Even had we beaten Colorado, our RPI would be 99, only 4 spots better. 

So you are correct. Where this team really hurt its chances this season was Incarnate Word and Creighton. A stretch of four fateful days in December in our own arena. 

At least Nebraska came back and won that double OT game vs Cincinnati!! The most difficult of the 3...

Just remember, we could easily be 154 instead of 104 as well. The law of averages seems to work magic at times.

Some teams overachieve.  Some underachieve.  Would you accuse this team of overachieving when you compare our talent level to our win/loss record?  Or do you think we've won about as many games we should have lost as we've lost games we should have won?

Maybe you haven't been following the board, but there's been a lot of angst about how much worse this team is than it was a year ago and suggesting that last year was a fluke and a one year flash in the pan. 

And I'm saying there were a couple of hiccups this season where we clearly lost to inferior teams and you take away those losses and we'd be about where everyone would have expected us to be this season.

In other words, we ain't that bad.  Except for a couple of hiccups, this is about the team we thought we'd have.  That's been my point.